percentage Body fat

Options
I bought a set of ww body scales complete with % body fat, water and bone measurer but the body fat numbers never changed even after i went down 3 dress sizes, so with that in mind i bought some calipers instead for a more accurate calculation. They arrived today and gave them a try. In November my %body fat was 36% and today i calculated it at 29.6%. Now i don't know if thats a good number but it has to be better than 36% right? I currently weigh 185lbs and i trying to tone down and get rid of the jelly belly i carry around my waist. what should i be aiming for?

Replies

• ladyluck5210
    ladyluck5210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well there's a BMI tool right here on MFP! Just click the tools tab.. that's the one I use anyway. :)
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As long as you are under 30% that is considered "normal" so great job! :)
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Using the electrical impedance measurements, most of the women I see who look pretty fit and strong are in the 20-25% range. I don't know how accurate that method is, though, so I don't know if those numbers will help you.
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    Well there's a BMI tool right here on MFP! Just click the tools tab.. that's the one I use anyway. :)

i don't want to measure my BMI as i don't hold much stock in it , i prefer to reduce how much fat i carry therefore i prefer to measure my body fat %.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options

i don't want to measure my BMI as i don't hold much stock in it , i prefer to reduce how much fat i carry therefore i prefer to measure my body fat %.

Yeah BMI means nothing to someone who has a larger frame. I was considered obese only 3 lbs ago and I don't think anyone would have called me that.
  • ghoztt
    ghoztt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If its the same one that I have (glass surface with metal edges and blue indiglo screen from Target) then I'm pretty sure it's off. I have an Omron Body Fat tool and I've used the Navy measurement method and both of those numbers are pretty close to eachother while the WW scale was higher by 3 or 4 percent.