Steroid induced weight gain :(

Options
I gained 80 pounds from steroid usage. I've been trying to get it off for the last year but have been struggling. On this app to see if the supportive aspect of it will help me stay motivated. I'm 24 years old and my names Nicole and I'm looking for new friends to join me on my journey.

Replies

• Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicole,

Was it from Presnisone and are you still on it? I'm on it currently (now only 5mg a day) but I know it's a pain in terms of hunger / weight gain.

Any questions you have feel free to message me!
  • nickyx480
    nickyx480 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm off of it now have been for a year but I still have all the weight! And stretch marks :neutral: it's awful. I hated being on it.
  • nickyx480
    nickyx480 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    And yes it was prednisone
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I get put on Prednisone about twice a year for breathing issues. When I'm on it I usually only use it for two weeks at a time. About 30mg a day. I'm hoping the eventual weight loss will help my breathing issues and I'll never have to use it again. It wreaks havoc on your body.

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • riggler2
    riggler2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on 5 mg of Prednisone since early June (8 months). I've gone from 207 to 237 in that time (my lowest to y highest adult weight). I will always be on Prednisone as I had a double transplant in June. So I just downloaded the app to try and solve this issue.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    5 mg is a pretty low dose. When I get put on it I start at 60 mg and take multiple months to ween off. It is a horrible drug :( luckily I am off of it now but my Crohn's is starting to get worse even on two immunosuppressants (one that is originally a kidney anti rejection drug and a biologic). I hope I don't have to take Prednisone anytime soon :(
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm the freak who lost weight on Prednisone (because I was in a constant panic, had an upset stomach, didn't eat, and got gastritis), but the principle is the same: Prednisone sucks, but it can save your life. The stuff really messes with your head and your stress response, so you start eating to maintain high blood sugar, for an emergency that isn't real. Log your food, and take care of yourself emotionally.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I'm the freak who lost weight on Prednisone (because I was in a constant panic, had an upset stomach, didn't eat, and got gastritis), but the principle is the same: Prednisone sucks, but it can save your life. The stuff really messes with your head and your stress response, so you start eating to maintain high blood sugar, for an emergency that isn't real. Log your food, and take care of yourself emotionally.

I didn't gain weight on it either. I was 20lbs underweight at the time from Crohn's and on TPN (they were pumping 2000+ calories a day through my picc line plus was on clear liquids by mouth). Well I should say I probably gained a bit as I was puffy but had no scale at the hospital. Once I got down to 50 mg (from 60) I started peeing like crazy and having multiple cold sweats every time I fell asleep (like change Johnny shirt and hospital sheets sweats as I was soaking wet). I was in the hospital for 34 days and when I got home I weighed exactly the same as when I went in. Though I was still having symptoms and malabsorption. GI issues are lovely.