Does working out make you emotional?

Options
I'm new to these boards. Just wondering if anyone else gets emotional after working out? More than a few times, after an intense workout, I have become emotional and actually started crying, or was emotionally easily triggered by something. Sorry if this seems like a weird question, but I'm completely serious. Thanks for reading,

Replies

• star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it is some sort of hormone release? After a particularly strong ....ahem..... Moment with my husband once I burst into tears and had no idea why lol. I've felt tearful when I used to run, if I'd really pushed myself. I think it must be our endorphins
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me with yoga a few times. I think because I've stopped fighting particular thoughts or feelings, and then they've leaked out of my eyes.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I do feel happier as a rule...but that's it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I enjoy working out because it lets me get in the zone and lose touch with my thoughts. I feel, nothing, other than the work i'm performing.

Afterwards, i feel clear.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    it's one of the few times I DON'T feel emotional lol. I feel good and happy and zen after my workouts.
  • geoblewis
    geoblewis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Happened to me the first few weeks after I started Pilates. Doesn't happen any more.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing. If anything, I'm pretty drained after. I've been known to visualize the people who make me want to cry, so in some ways it's therapeutic. :bigsmile:

Maybe just see where your thoughts are taking you and try to explore them as if you were watching it on a movie screen. Perhaps there is something you need to deal with that you didn't realize was affecting you so much.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    No...and that does sound weird to me, but I'm not a very emotional person in general.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I get more emotional if I don't work out...I guess me working out is burning off the crazy.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I have days where I start a training session crying. The last year has been more than a little crazy and the gym is my safe space to let it all out. Always walk out smiling and happy and ready to deal with the crazy again.
  • siamesechin
    siamesechin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to see so many different perspectives. My situation is weird because I have anxiety issues, and I feel fine while I'm working out, but sometimes I feel the waterworks being triggered by something afterwards out of the blue. Thanks again.
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I do feel about myself if I workout. If I don't workout I feel lazy and just brings me down.
  • WyldRoots
    WyldRoots Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Kind of... it makes me sad, because I suck at working out, I'm super fat, and there once was a time when I could run for 6 & 1/2 hours straight. So working out just reminds me of how awful I've been to my body.
  • itsmemaringle
    itsmemaringle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, sometimes! It's a great release so just go with it you should feel quite refreshed after! Maybe keep a track of what exercises trigger it.
  • siamesechin
    siamesechin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, sometimes! It's a great release so just go with it you should feel quite refreshed after! Maybe keep a track of what exercises trigger it.

Whoa, you may have touched on something here. The two out of three times this has happened, I had done some version of kickboxing aerobics. And thank you for suggesting I keep track of the specific exercises--I will do that! Thanks, itsmemaringle!
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I actually feel better and more elated than when im not working out ..
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm usually happier and more calm, especially after a good walk, but there have been times where I've become emotional. Last year, I got really emotional during a Zumba class. It was exam week, and I was so stressed out, and I guess the dancing allowed some release? I didn't even realize that there was some sadness underlying my stress. It really gave me something to think about.
    Anyways, it's totally normal, and I agree with itsmemaringle's advice. Exercise has that cathartic power.
  • swtroughear
    swtroughear Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i'd say i'm more agitated when i'm away from the gym, after the gym i'm way-way more energetic and up-lifted
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I cry after particularly grueling runs...especially when i hit a new PR or something! Its normal. Ive seen lots of people with the same reaction.