How do you feel about garden salads?

Options
I hate them. Should probably stop eating them.

And when I say garden salad, I mean salad with lettuce and carrot as the base, then other things added, like tomato, cheese, egg, etc. Sometimes we have it with stuff like grapes, strawberries, beetroot etc.

I guess I'm just sick of them because that's one of the things I grew up on, and we would eat several times a week during summer. I don't think I dislike salad in general, just salads that are based on lettuce and carrot- not particularly appetising to me. I like them with flour wraps and meat or between bread but not alone. I don't know how people do it!

Replies

• zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    this is totally me! haha i hate all raw vegetables unless its cooked!
    i hate egg in my salad.
    i can only eat salad (lettuce only) when its accompanied with a great dressing! its all in the dressing.
    most of the time i dont bother eating it. i get my veges of the day cooked, everytime.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't consider it a salad if it has anything other than fruits and/or veggies and I'm happy to eat it raw - as most of the things I eat are. Nature's candy.

If I ever cook them, they're always thrown into a basic soup. Can't go wrong with soup.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Don't eat things you hate it wastes calories

Providing you're hitting your nutritional requirements

A decent salad is a rare treat but I eat mixed leaves every day (watercress, spinach snd rocket/arugala) ...use them as a bed for things like pulled pork and chorizo stew or Thai coconut curry because the slight bitterness brings the meal alive for me and gives me the volume I need
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not eat them either. There are other ways to get greens.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't like salads that have lettuce. They're hard to eat and keep falling off the fork. I will, however, routinely devour full heads of lettuce peeling the leaves one by one. When I was a kid, the neighborhood kids playfully teased me calling me a rabbit.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Love my salads and like rabbitjb often use salad greens, especially arugula and spinach as a bed for stews, pastas, curries etc.
    I had a 800g one the other night. It took me close to an hour to work my way through it. Mmmm it was good.

Cheers, h.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't like salads that have lettuce. They're hard to eat and keep falling off the fork. I will, however, routinely devour full heads of lettuce peeling the leaves one by one. When I was a kid, the neighborhood kids playfully teased me calling me a rabbit.

:) I see nothing wrong with being called rabbit @amusedmonkey
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I have a friend that eats a whole lettuce like it's an apple.

I started to enjoy salads more when I stopped putting anything I don't like in them like tomato and cheddar cheese. Dried tomato and feta better or neither. Realised I only like tomato in sauces or between thick slices of bread.

Love Asian salads. Especially the dressings.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

:) I see nothing wrong with being called rabbit @amusedmonkey

Haha I didn't mind it. When we packed play snacks they would have apples and orange juice and I would have lettuce and tomato juice. Funny a few months ago I ran into an old neighbor and the first thing he asked after all the niceties was if I still drank tomato juice. I still do!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Don't mind as it is a base for many salads. Throw on chopped veggies or grains or proteins (meat or beans or tofu).... There are countless combinations.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You made me laugh. If you don't like them, that why on earth are you eating them? :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat salad every day for every meal but I like salad.
    It is a low calorie way to round off meals like pizza so I eat less of the higher calorie food.
    I prefer salad with spinach these days rather than lettuce. There are a lot of different salad combinations.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270725/things-to-go-in-salads#latest
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I eat salad everyday for lunch. Raw spinach, lettuce, raw onion, peppers, cucumber, baby plum tomato, ham or egg or cheese. Cider vinegar for dressing, sometimes whole grain mustard. Love it. Salad has always been my favourite food!
  • mingle287
    mingle287 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I water them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I go through phases of love/hate. It has to be very fresh. Mid-summer when lettuce is at it's peak is when I love it best.

You can try coleslaw using sturdier vegetables and a variety of dressings.

Then there's the wide range of root vegetables that you can cut in to various shapes from chips, julienned, and cubed. Try roasting them.

And finally, there's the sturdier vegetables like peas that you can prepare from frozen through the winter.

Or prepare your vegetables in a soup.

If I get sick of something, I put it out of sight for a few months and get my nutrition another way. Then I can come back and enjoy it in a whole new way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nothing's worse for me than vacations where the only substitution for French fries is a side salad... Ugh. Tasteless lettuce and tasteless carrots and tomatoes... just basically tasteless stuff. And yeah I tend to grunt if the only 'low calorie' options are salads when I go out.

I like salad once in a while, but it gets old very fast, and I use arugula or Spring mix typically. Thankfully my favorite dressing is low calorie (I just need vinegar, really).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cold food this time of year. I switch over to steamed broccoli and other greens, and baked or roasted root vegetables.

I even use warm tea in my smoothies so they are at least room temperature.

In the summer I alternate in kale or cabbage as the base of a salad. The kale comes from my garden so is nice and tender.

I put whatever I feel like in a salad.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Salad doesn't just mean lettuce.

The other night I had steamed cauliflower with blue cheese crumbles, chicken, sugar snap peas, avocado, a scoop of cottage cheese, walnuts, with sriracha. All mixed up together it was delicious and very filling.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Don't mind as it is a base for many salads. Throw on chopped veggies or grains or proteins (meat or beans or tofu).... There are countless combinations.

My favorite - BBQ ranch tri-tip salad. A salad with thinly sliced tri-tip roast, BBQ sauce and ranch dressing. Yum!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I like them...but not all the time. I like a lot of variety. I'm more keen on them in the summer as they are light and refreshing. A nice garden salad with some grilled chicken or fish...or a nice burger hot off the grill.