Is it good to weigh in everday

Options
Is it good to weigh in everyday.

Replies

• marsh5224
    marsh5224 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday but the number doesn't really mean that much to me since I know it can change a lot from day to day. What it does do is reminds me each morning to keep the focus and the numbers will come eventually.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I always weigh in daily, it helps me see all the fluctuations for what they are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on you and how you react to natural weight fluctuations and whether or not you even understand them.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh in once per week. It give me a more realistic view of what is really going on. Daily weight can fluctuate wildly.

I also look at my diary as a weekly goal rather than a daily one. I don't care ff I over eat once or twice during the week. I only care how much I eat over the week.

Good luck.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It depends on you and how you react to natural weight fluctuations and whether or not you even understand them.

^^This. Some people freak out after seeing the slightest gain. If you're one of those people, don't weigh every day.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    It just depends on if you can handle the daily ups and downs. It doesn't bother me much any more, but it used to drive me nuts.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Depends on you. I prefer weighing in daily as I find it keeps me accountable and I use a trendweight app called Happy Scale which shows me where I am v what the scale says. That helps me not freak out if it goes up for a couple of days!

If you are the type of person who would be depressed or put off by a random high reading every now and then then I'd suggest weighing daily and using a trendweight app or weighing weekly.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I try for every day...but don't get to excited or to upset by the result.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Depends on the individual. For me, I love weighing every single day and logging my weight into the app Happy Scale. The daily up & downs don't bother me because I can see my weight steadily going down.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    For me, weighing daily reduces the power an individual weigh in number has, and helps me understand the impact the prior day's activities and eating has.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I do once a week. It would drive me nuts to see daily fluctuations, but for others they like seeing numbers every day. Do what works best for you.
  • AshetteKetchum
    AshetteKetchum Posts: 26 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I personally only weigh myself once every 4-6 weeks. Your weight can fluctuate so much depending on a number of variables. The best way to weigh yourself is at the same time (I do first thing in the morning, before I eat), and naked (yes, clothes can be a couple of pounds).

Also, you may want to look into getting a body caliper. Body fat % will tell you more about your progress then numbers on a scale. A lot of people get discouraged because they aren't losing much weight, or even gaining weight. When in all reality, you may be losing fat and gaining lean muscle. I have gained 20 pounds since the beginning of my journey two years ago, but I am down almost 20% body fat, I gained muscle weight!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Everyday is good for me. Here's a perfect example: Jan 1 I was 151.0lbs. Today, Jan 31, I weigh 150.6lbs. Looks like I lost basically nothing this month, despite eating an average of 400cals under my tested maintenance calories (which is also very close to MFP's active level).

But, I did lose. In fact, about 3lbs. I use Libra app to get a trend weight. Other than today, I've weighed in under 148 every day this week. Outliers happen, and I wouldn't know which ones are such if I didn't weigh daily.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It depends on what motivates you. I weigh twice a day.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

^^This. Some people freak out after seeing the slightest gain. If you're one of those people, don't weigh every day.

This is me. I have become quite obsessed with it.