Gaining Weight?

Options
HerNameIs_Lovee
HerNameIs_Lovee Posts: 28 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone know of some good things to eat when trying to gain weight? I know a lot of it has to do with diet, so what can I eat that's good fat? Since I still need fat to burn fat. In addition to that, how do I know exactly how much calories I should be eating a day? When I added my goals on here, they came up with 2,170. Is that enough?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of some good things to eat when trying to gain weight? I know a lot of it has to do with diet, so what can I eat that's good fat? Since I still need fat to burn fat. In addition to that, how do I know exactly how much calories I should be eating a day? When I added my goals on here, they came up with 2,170. Is that enough?

I doubt 2,170 would be a surplus unless you basically do nothing.

To gain weight you eat in a surplus...you need to figure out your maintenance calories and then eat more than that.
  • HerNameIs_Lovee
    Options
    This might sound really stupid, but what exactly do you mean by surplus? And how do I figure out my maintenance calories?
  • HerNameIs_Lovee
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I doubt 2,170 would be a surplus unless you basically do nothing.

To gain weight you eat in a surplus...you need to figure out your maintenance calories and then eat more than that.

• cwolfman13
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This might sound really stupid, but what exactly do you mean by surplus? And how do I figure out my maintenance calories?

The calories that I require to maintain weight is about 2,800...if I eat more than that consistently I will gain weight...so if I ate 3000 calories that would be a 200 calorie surplus...eating a surplus is how you gain weight just as eating a deficit is how you lose weight.

Are you maintaining weight right now? If so, log what you are eating and that would be your maintenance calories. Otherwise put in maintain as your goal with this or another calculator..keep in mind that MFP doesn't take into account exercise so your target wouldn't include exercise and would have to be added in. Personally, I'd use a TDEE calculator and just include an estimate of all of my activity. These calculators will give you a reasonably good starting point and you can make adjustments as necessary from there.
  • HerNameIs_Lovee
    Options

The calories that I require to maintain weight is about 2,800...if I eat more than that consistently I will gain weight...so if I ate 3000 calories that would be a 200 calorie surplus...eating a surplus is how you gain weight just as eating a deficit is how you lose weight.

Are you maintaining weight right now? If so, log what you are eating and that would be your maintenance calories. Otherwise put in maintain as your goal with this or another calculator..keep in mind that MFP doesn't take into account exercise so your target wouldn't include exercise and would have to be added in. Personally, I'd use a TDEE calculator and just include an estimate of all of my activity. These calculators will give you a reasonably good starting point and you can make adjustments as necessary from there.

Thanks so much for that
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Also, I would look to getting around 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM and about 0.3 grams of dietary fat per Lb of body weight and then carb it up...carbs are king when bulking...

And you should lift, lift, lift...programming your own lifting routine takes a lot of knowledge so I would recommend utilizing an established program to ensure you're hitting everything to avoid imbalances and reduce the risk of injury and over-train issues. Just willy nilly doing whatever isn't going to garner much in the way of results...at least not in an efficient manner.
  • HerNameIs_Lovee
    Options
    Peanut butter

That's interesting. Just any kind?
  • HerNameIs_Lovee
    Options
    Also, I would look to getting around 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM and about 0.3 grams of dietary fat per Lb of body weight and then carb it up...carbs are king when bulking...

And you should lift, lift, lift...programming your own lifting routine takes a lot of knowledge so I would recommend utilizing an established program to ensure you're hitting everything to avoid imbalances and reduce the risk of injury and over-train issues. Just willy nilly doing whatever isn't going to garner much in the way of results...at least not in an efficient manner.

I really appreciate all the information you are giving me right now honestly lol. What's LBM ? So let's do some quick math because maybe it's too early or I'm just feeling slow lol. So I currently weigh 110, or at least last time I checked. That would mean I would eat 33g of fat?