Homeschooling Moms

Options
As a homeschooling Mom, I know that I face a lot of challenges. Getting a workout in around lessons, getting the kids to leave me be long enough to get a workout in AFTER lessons are done. We also live in the country and with gas prices the 30 minute trip to the gym is out. My hubby also works rotating shifts, so there is a lot of schedule shuffling going on. We are done with formal lessons for the summer, so I have a little more time to work with for now. Is there anyone else out there that struggles with the same types of problems?

Replies

• MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    my mom homeschooled me. Class started at 8 sharp, I had a PE break/Lunch break from 11-12:30, gave us both time to eat, relax, watch tv, or workout. Maybe during the year you could do something like this, let your kids go run outside, ride their bikes in the driveway (if its paved) you know, play, and you can work out. Jillian Michael's has a few DVDs that are 35 minutes or less that you could easily do while they work off some energy
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I'm not a homeschooling mom, but I was homeschooled. I know one of the things my mom used to do is set up park days with other homeschoolers in the area and then she and the other moms would run around the park so that we were still in sight but they got their exercise in. They also would switch off who would watch the kids to make sure they could get their independent stuff in too. That way my sister and I and all the other kids got our socialization and play/exercise time in while they could focus a bit more on themselves :)
  • getnfitn2011
    Options
    Oh man, you could have been writting my life!!! I am a homeschool mom of two that lives in the country and as a husband who works diffrent hours everyday!!! lol Name is Misty by the way and I'm in Kansas. It is very challenging but I have discovered the path of least resistance in this...I tell the kids they either A) work out with me or B) leave me be till I am done. To my shock they have been doing turbo jam with me and it works out great. I get my burn and they get to expend their seemingly endless supply of energy somewhat!! Like everything else with the homeschool lifestyle just keep adjusting and tweeking till it works for you!!! If you want another buddy feel free to add me...in the meantime I praying blessings over your journey!!!
    Misty
  • CWRose
    CWRose Posts: 62
    Options
    I do!!! I know this might sound a little unorthodox but instead of going to the gym something that works great is flipping a tire end over end, country walks with the kids, and my favorite, use your kids as your weights, if they are young enough. haha I wouldn't suggest bench pressing a 16 yr old. lol You can add me as a friend if you want, it would be nice to have another homeschooling mom around. :) I don't know if my suggestions will help you or not but I'm always willing to brain storm with you. :) Ya know playing outdoor games with the kids could work to, like tag or hide and seek, etc.

CW
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just found reference on this site to bodyrock.tv. It has a lot of workouts that are about 15 min or less with really high intensity to do in your home. Many of the exercises use your own body weight, so not much equipment is required. I did my first one today, and thought it was really good. The kids might even want to do the workouts with you.
    Good luck!
  • Rachelbluegirl
    Rachelbluegirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For the last few months, I've found working out before I do anything else that day is what works the best for me. It means I have to get up a bit earlier, but then I get my workout done and don't have to worry about fitting it in, because there's always something that comes up and ruins my plans. :) My kids are a little older (8 and 10), so they are able to occupy themselves with a book, or that day's history lesson reading if they get up while I'm working out in my room. I've also come to the realization that in this one area - my health - I need to push everything else aside to make room for the time I need to accomplish the goals I have to reach a healthy weight. Kind of like how in an airplane you're supposed to put on your air mask first in the event of an emergency. Once your mask is on, you can help your child. That is how I view my exercise time in the morning.

We have also implemented family walks in the evening where we all go for a 3-4 mile walk together as a family. It's been so good for all of us, not just physically, but also the conversations we have have been some of the best ever. I feel more connected to my kids and husband because of this time we spend together.

Hope this helps, and hope you have a great summer!
  • glamroxjax
    glamroxjax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    its good to see all this...I'm supposed to start homeschooling in august!!! I'm scared! :)
  • getnfitn2011
    Options
    its good to see all this...I'm supposed to start homeschooling in august!!! I'm scared! :)

LOL guess what that means you normal!!! It is by far the most challenging but most rewarding thing I have done. There are MANY wonderful sights on line and in most local library's and such that have free and insightful information! You will do great just get prepared for it!! By the way I see you are doing turbo fire..thats how I get my kids ready for bed we do fire drills before diner lol...makes bedtime SO much easier and they actually love it! I don't believe in luck so I will just say I hope you school year is blessed!
    Misty
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

LOL guess what that means you normal!!! It is by far the most challenging but most rewarding thing I have done. There are MANY wonderful sights on line and in most local library's and such that have free and insightful information! You will do great just get prepared for it!! By the way I see you are doing turbo fire..thats how I get my kids ready for bed we do fire drills before diner lol...makes bedtime SO much easier and they actually love it! I don't believe in luck so I will just say I hope you school year is blessed!
    Misty

My mom and I are super close and I think its because we spent every day together until i was in 7th grade (teaching myself algebra at 12 kinda get me put in school because my mom couldn't teach me anymore). I am so glad she homeschooled me!
  • doriekaye
    doriekaye Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. My girls are 11 and 8 and occasionally work out with me. It's hard for us though because we have tiny house and keep bumping into each other LOL. I try the "leave mommy alone until she's done" and sometimes it works...but the 11yo is in the stage where she likes to antagonize her sister (all those hormones kicking in...YIKES), so it seems there's always something that interrupts me. Sending them outside works in the summer, but we live in northern Minnesota, so that doesn't work all year...way too cold to stay out for long. They love to read, so that works. Sounds like I'm doing pretty much the same as everyone else. We do play badminton, take walks, go to the park with other HS families, and go bowling.

Our family loves homeschooling, we've been doing it from the beginning and I can't imagine them being gone all day to school. I really love my kids and like to spend time with them, watching them grow and knowing that they are being instilled with our values. I would encourage anyone considering it to do it, there is nothing more natural and rewarding.