Estimating calories eating out

Options
I'm going out for a meal tomorrow after an exam but how do I estimate my calories to put in mfp?

I've been doing it for 10 days and have been good at tracking and eating under so far so I don't want to mess up so early in. I've lost 2 lbs of my 20 lbs so wants to keep going :)

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I find something similar in the data base and usually add 10%. Congrats on the loss.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    when i go out to eat, i decide my calories allowed and order something based on that number, I dont just pick something off the menu and guess how much it is. I usually order whole foods, like a salad with fish or chicken on top, dressing on the side and only eat as much chicken as my diet says i can. If i easily can't see all the ingredients , i wont eat it... for example casseroles or sauces. this is what i've been doing for years, i just dont trust restaurant cooks most dishes are thousands of calories for one meal.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Many restaurants have nutritional value online. I like to research what I will eat before I go out; keeps me accountable.
  • FebruaryReruns
    FebruaryReruns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What an accomplishment!? Congrats on the weight loss!
    I've had this problem recently too. I didn't press on the subject, but I have let my family know that I was trying to make healthier meal decisions to lose weight. Most restaurants are offering lighter options these days anyway, so it may not be as difficult as you think. Do a little research before you sit down with the family too, because a lot of restaurants will have nutritional information online as well. You can just add it to MFP manually if you have to!
    Good luck, and good job!
  • haninesloss
    haninesloss Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! Hope you keep going.
    As mentioned above, many fast food chains/restaurants menus are recorded in the MFP database. I would first check there. Try to go for the grilled/lite options and avoid anything that says crispy...it usually means deep fried.
  • morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I look up the restaurant on the internet for the menu. Then if what I chose isn't within my calorie intake, I only eat have of it and bring the other half home for next day. You do have to watch everything.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    Occasional estimating won't derail progress. If the restaurant has nutrition information available online, I consult it in advance, as others suggest. If it doesn't, but has an online menu, I look at that to do some strategizing. Then, when I get home after eating, I use the MFP food database, and pick a similar entry that's on the higher-calorie side of the ones there, and log my estimated portion size. After that, I just don't worry about it again.

It's not going to be a problem, especially if most of your meals are not restaurant meals. I've done this at least once or twice a week, and have had no trouble losing.