How often do people weight themselves

Options
How often do you weigh yourself and if scales not moved how do you keep motivation high

Replies

• SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Once a week! Every Thursday morning for me. I like knowing where I'm at as I go into the weekend!
  • guslandrum
    guslandrum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I weight everyday usually. But I understand that the number on the scale is just part of the journey. If you are the type that will panic if the scale doesn't move fast enough or moved in the wrong direction, then you probably shouldn't weigh as often. Weightloss isn't linear. It can fluctuate daily based on a number of factors. But often I am reassured by the scale if I think I had a bad food day, then find the scale didn't change or maybe went down. As far as motivation when then scale is stuck, I look at it like this, if I'm logging and weighing all my food, eating at a deficit, and I'm using the right numbers for BMR/TDEE, the scale will lose the battle! It can be stubborn, but mathematically it has to go down. If you are still stuck after a week, re-examine your math.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Most days naked after washroom before breakfast. If it hasn't moved, or is up a bit i look at my reports for the year. It is going down!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    mxy7bs0dontf.jpg
    Every day. Yes sometimes it's up, sometimes the same, but this way I get to see the overall trend. That's what keeps me motivated: a bad day doesn't derail everything.
  • Spierce02
    Spierce02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a set day. It's always in the morning after I get up and before I eat. But I can go days without checking or times I check every morning three days straight.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Every morning.
  • Body_Remap
    Body_Remap Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Interesting view points... I'm into my 4th week and have only weighed in once.
    I know it's going in right direction... So I would be disheartened if scales don't move as quick as id like. Using the mirror as a judgement
  • haninesloss
    haninesloss Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Once a week. At the same time on the same day, just so I know the trend and whether I need to tweak my calorie intake more.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    erra day baby, erra day...
  • MajesticBlondee25
    MajesticBlondee25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Every day
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    Every day, first thing in the AM. Have for years, even when not losing. I'm a data geek, and I enjoy the understanding I've gained of my weight fluctuations. As a result, I'm totally non-bothered by fluctuations now.

And motivation isn't really the issue. If I'm tracking my eating accurately, based on a month or two's experience, I could pretty accurately predict whether I'm gaining, losing or maintaining just from that. Once you have confidence in the data, it's about persistence, consistency and habits. Plateaus will break eventually if you're on course.
  • rambunction
    rambunction Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would say every day after a good day of eating. For instance, if I go to all you can eat sushi, and literally have all I can eat, I'm ot jumping on the scale the next morning. I know that A) a lot of the extra weight is the food still in my body and B) if I see a dramatic increase I'll likely try to cut more calories. Which is bad, as that creates a binge/purge cycle. I've gone down that rabbit hole, and I'm good without it.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Nearly every day. I am trying to maintain, but confess that I get freaked out about the scale far top much.
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, which is like once a week. Otherwise I don't pay much attention. I fluctuate often, and daily checking would only discourage me.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Maybe once every two or three weeks.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Every day. Usually twice a day. Always in the morning, and most nights too. I don't get emotional about it, which is how I survive doing it. My weight is the end of a long list of metabolic processes, many of which I have zero control over. I control the broad brush strokes of the trend, but the fine details of daily fluctuation are out of my control.
  • NikkiMichelleS
    NikkiMichelleS Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Every morning.
    I like using Libra trend weight app & collect the data, see the graph and trendline. Some days I'm up, more often I'm down so its all working out.
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I try not to weigh everyday but I did twice a day lol I'm so addicted to the scale I used to be really annoyed when it went up but when the measurement went down and I'm more fit, I think that's matter for me.
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm so surprised at how many weigh themselves every day. I've always read from trainers and fitness "experts", to weigh in once a week only. Otherwise you run a risk of it being counterintuitive or noticing the blips and being discouraged by them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    I'm so surprised at how many weigh themselves every day. I've always read from trainers and fitness "experts", to weigh in once a week only. Otherwise you run a risk of it being counterintuitive or noticing the blips and being discouraged by them.

Call me a rebel, but I think I'm better able than they are to tell whether I'm discouraged (or confused, or otherwise distressed).

I believe in listening to experts when they have a solid research justification for what they're saying. I suspect the "experts" say "weigh weekly" out of experience that is heavily fraught with selection bias.

That is, I'll bet that diet coaches' circles of acquaintances significantly over-represent the proportion of the population who have seriously disordered relationships with food, eating, scales and weight. People like me, who simply get fat because they enjoying food too much and are self-indulgent, are less likely to consult diet coaches.

People can mostly figure out whether weighing themselves daily is a good idea for them, or a bad one . . . if they're not sure, perhaps it's a bad one.