Tall girls (5'8" plus) when did you start to see a difference with your weight loss?

Options
Would love some perspective! I'm 5'8", started at 264, now at 245 but can't see any noticeable difference yet. Wondering when anyone with similar stats did?

Replies

• MaryMoCla
    MaryMoCla Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    jmgj27 wrote: »
    Would love some perspective! I'm 5'8", started at 264, now at 245 but can't see any noticeable difference yet. Wondering when anyone with similar stats did?

Really? You must feel the difference in how your clothes fit! Are you taking your measurements? And great stuff, by the way! You are going really well!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks! Not noticing a thing unfortunately. Clothes seem to be fitting pretty much the same (but then they were all pretty loose to start with!). I don't mind, am happy to keep plugging away but I know plenty of my short(er) friends who drop a dress size every 15lbs or so! I've found in the past that it's about 25lbs for me!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Keep going you will

The larger sizes span a greater weight range ...
  • TMK0214
    TMK0214 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and started at 325 3 weeks ago, I'm 313 now and still look the same lol, only lost one inch around my waist, all my clothes seem to still fit the same :/
  • Priss08
    Priss08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    5'9" here!

I started at 315/310. I didn't get out of size 24(US) pants until 30lbs or so. You'll probably notice big changes around 30-40lbs; that's how it was for me anyway. Keep taking your measurements and you calories and you start to notice changes in no time.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I think it is true that the bigger sizes span a larger range (maybe because they're stretchier!). I was a big size 18 (UK) at 264 and I suspect I'm now a small size 18 at 245 hence not really noticing much. My dresses do seem longer so I must have lost some inches as well! Just looking forward to being a solid 16 again which I think will be around 16 stone (224).
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'8 and my highest weoght was about 274. I'm currently 260 and this time around I've noticed changes but I think they're from working out and getting more toned as I lose weight. It does seem to take a little more time for clothes to change!
  • Marg672
    Marg672 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think part of it is we are super critical of ourselves. I am 5'9" and I dropped about 40# I personally do not see it.... all I see is the fat that is still there, but others notice. I need to get rid of the excess weight for my health not to look better, although that is a positive benefit.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 7.5 and I was 276 lbs in a tight sz 20-22 US, now I am 207 and just barely into 14's. I could barely see a change at around 45-50 lbs, but now, the weight I loose seems easily noticed. I'm at 68 lbs down now if that helps you...
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, every lbs is a bigger percentage of your total weight and gets more noticeable. I mean, if you have 10 M&M's and you take away 2, that's a big difference. If you have 100 M&M's and you take away 5 you're hardly going to notice, even though you took away more! I lost 60lbs before I really started to notice a difference when I looked in the mirror. My pants sizes changed from a 28 to a 22, but I still looked the same to me. From a 22 to an 18 I can really see the difference! And I imagine every pound from here will be much more obvious to myself and others.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    As you lose weight, every lbs is a bigger percentage of your total weight and gets more noticeable.
    That's a good point actually, I hadn't thought of it like that. Although I'm almost 20lbs down it's only 7% or so of my body weight hence why it's not really that noticeable I think. The last time I lost significant weight I started around 224 and noticed a big difference at around 200 so about 10% body weight loss. It'll be interesting to see whether that equates this time!
  • nicola5m156bg
    nicola5m156bg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and it took ages for me to notice a difference. Other people noticed before I did. I've now lost 28lbs and dropped a dress size. I'm begining to notice more changes the longer and more healthy I try to be. Even though I've not lost weight for the last 3 weeks I've suddenly lost inches.
    Stick with it, you're all doing great :)
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1, started at 231 in October and am now at 208. I was very frustrated during the first two or three weeks because I felt like I was working so hard and not seeing any results, on the scale or on my body, even though I was doing it "by the book". The thing is I've heard the message of "small changes make for big results" so often (you know, like, one less biscuit a week can change your life! and the like) that I was frustrated that putting in a lot of work didn't mean quicker results.

But I guess the trick is just to hang in there and keep plugging away at these life changes. I think it was about the third week in that I noticed a change in how my clothes fit and my husband started saying I looked "leaner". A month and a half later it was my coworkers. And last of course (only in the past week) my parents and other relatives.

At the end of the day I do feel a lot better in my own skin. Somehow being the tallest person in the room is no longer such a big deal now that I also feel leaner!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", I started at 145lbs and have been as low as 125 in the past. Right around 135lbs is when I saw my face get thinner :) That's the best part for me.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    About 25lbs for me. 5'8" and started at 175 now 133. People noticed my changing shape before I did though.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11, I started at 193 and really didn't seem much of a visual difference until I got to 160. My face was still chubby and I still had the lovely spare tire and saddle bags. It wasn't until 160 where I felt like I could see a difference. I'm currently 150 and plan to stay there...
  • TammyLML
    TammyLML Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Great topic, I've really enjoyed reading all the replies! :smile:

I'm just under 5'11. I started at 264 and am now 230, and really, although I can see it in my face, I often don't notice a lot otherwise. EXCEPT... I decided to take progress pictures, because when I look at them I CAN see it, see what others are seeing in me, but what I don't usually notice in my day to day life. When I first had people start telling me they could see a difference, I had lost 25 lbs. I found an old picture and put on the same clothes, and took another photo, and then I could see it. I just took a third photo the other day and now I'm really beginning to see the difference. I took the photos only for myself but I will share here because I know we are all on the same journey. <3

duu95is77jq2.jpg

As for clothing sizes, I began in 18 or 16W, and now am more 14-14W. I exercise a lot, so another change is just in the fit of my clothes - some of my jeans are now baggy in the thighs & bum, and tight around my calves. I look at it all as another gift that fitness has given me: the need to buy more clothes! LOL

Cheers to all my tall girls! :smiley:
  • KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and have lost 25lbs so far. I have not noticed too much of a change. I am actually quite glad to read your post and realize I am not the only one! I read a lot how people drop less pounds than me and drop sizes so much faster!

Being taller, our weigh is spread out more, so losing it all over is less noticeable than our not-as-tall friends! The good thing is more calorie allotment, lol!

The biggest change for me is my face. I take measurements and my waist and hips are almost the same as before which is disappointing. I think what I have learned is it is sure easy to pack on it and not notice. Scary!

I am also the same size which is depressing, although I notice changes elsewhere. I am able to pull up knee high socks to their full height! I used to have to scrunch them!

Congrats on your weight loss so far! I think we will all notice changes soon! Thank you for posting this!

And congrats everyone else as well!!!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8". Started at 300, size 24. Now I am at 176 and size 14.

I have completely replaced my wardrobe (except for socks!) TWICE in the past year!

Keep plugging away and miracles will happen. It took a while to see results but once it starts it will be so much fun to show off the new you.

Just yesterday, as I was walking through the livingroom, my husband said, "You look so damn good!"
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    jmgj27 wrote: »

I had to go try on clothes in a store to see a difference. I had stretched out my jeans so far that they were probably a few sizes larger than they should have been, lol. You might also notice other things getting smaller, like rings are falling off or you can fit into smaller shirts. Trying on clothes (even just to try on, not to buy) was a big motivator for me. Remember to take pictures for yourself too!

Do you have any NSV (non scale victories)? For example, can you walk further without getting out of breath, swim longer, or sleep better? Start thinking of other markers to grade yourself on to keep yourself motivated :)