losing 35 pounds in 4months?

Options
Is it possible to lose 35 pounds by at least may or June? Of course long with some exercise and counting calories. Any tips? Advice or experiences ?

Replies

• gfjay
    gfjay Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, if your starting weight is 350 or 400+. That's because your calorie deficit still allows you to live while losing that much.

What is your starting weight?
  • shammiahmed12
    shammiahmed12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to lose 35 pounds by at least may or June? Of course long with some exercise and counting calories. Any tips? Advice or experiences ?

I ve also been trying to shed the extra 30pounds. I currently weigh 74kg. Looking for advice as well. It gets frustrating when the results dont kick in as fast..and you ve been at it for so long.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was able to do that so I think it is doable depending on your circumstances.

In mid-late June I was about 190lbs and by mid October I was 155lbs. I am 5'8" so 155lbs was well within a normal BMI for me. In the last few months I lost another 5lbs.

I ate about 1500 calories per day, did not exercise, and switched to a very low carb high fat diet, which suited my health needs. LCHF agreed with me, helped me feel healthier, and reduced my appetite and cravings. LCHF doesn't work as well for everyone.

Good luck.
  • kristamaniscalcoxo
    Options
    gfjay wrote: »
    Yes, if your starting weight is 350 or 400+. That's because your calorie deficit still allows you to live while losing that much.

Right now I'm 150, I'm 5'5 but not toned nor have I lived a clean eating healthy life style so along with losing the extra weight I'm also just trying to develop a healthier lifestyle.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Right now I'm 150, I'm 5'5 but not toned nor have I lived a clean eating healthy life style so along with losing the extra weight I'm also just trying to develop a healthier lifestyle.

What, if anything, is your current exercise program?
  • kristamaniscalcoxo
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What, if anything, is your current exercise program?

Unfortunately haven't been to the gym in a very long time. I do however want to start the gym again and also bought a tread mill so I plan on doing 20mins a day on that and then also 3-4 days a week at the gym for more cardio as well as other work outs.
  • andrasita30
    andrasita30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I ve also been trying to shed the extra 30pounds. I currently weigh 74kg. Looking for advice as well. It gets frustrating when the results dont kick in as fast..and you ve been at it for so long.

Try intermittent fasting. It helps a lot
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I doubt it.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    At your stated height of 5'5", 115 lbs is on the cusp of clinically underweight. I don't see you achieving your stated goal of losing 35 pounds in 16 weeks to get there unless you engage in unhealthy eating/dieting practices.

You are already on the cusp of clinically normal weight for your height. Why do you want to go from a BMI of 25 to 19? Any number between those two is perfectly ideal and a more reasonably attainable goal that you can reach in a sane and healthy manner.
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was able to do it. Started at 240. I'm currently 191. Took me 3 months
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" as well, I started my weight loss journey in July at a similar weight to you, 148lbs. I currently weigh 124.8lbs. While that rate of loss may seem too slow to you, I would advise it trying to drop in an unhealthy but quick manner. For me this journey has been enjoyable at this rate, I also feel it will help me sustain the weight loss long term, which is the ultimate goal. I would also advise rethinking your goal of 115lbs, unless you have a small frame/plan on doing a slight "bulk" once you reach that weight.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Try intermittent fasting. It helps a lot

What helps is a calorie deficit.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Might be difficult. You could come close if you set your goals to 2 lb/ week, but that is pretty agressive for someone of your starting weight. The calories you're allowed for that would probably be the bare minimum (1200) which in my experience was, well, miserable.
    I am also 5'5" and was 147 when I started my weight loss two years ago. I lost 20lb in 4 months at 1450 cal/day. If you add exercise you might be able to lose faster (I didnt really exercise during this time) I tried a more aggressive 1200 and just couldn't do it. It's up to you, of course, but if I were in your shoes I would take the route of slower weight loss. It will be more enjoyable getting there and it is more likely to last long term.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Nope. Not with those stats.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You would need to lose 2.9 # per week ir have a deficit of 10,200 cals a week.

Im 5'5" and 170#...in order to lose 1# a week, my cal goal is 1350 (no exercise). Your stats wont be exactly the same...but they wont be off my more than 2-300 cals. So lets say you can lose 1# a week on 1500 cals. You would need to eat about 900 cals less than that each day. So you would need to eat somewhere around 600cals a day. If you walk on the treadmill for 20mins each day, you will earn an additional 100cals...if you run for 20minutes somewhere between 150-200 cals.

Can you stick to 700-800 cals a day MAX for the next 12 weeks? Maybe. Will you lose your hair, screw up your metabolism, have sallow skin, brittle nails and feel ill constantly? Definitely.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    You would need to lose 2.9 # per week ir have a deficit of 10,200 cals a week.

Im 5'5" and 170#...in order to lose 1# a week, my cal goal is 1350 (no exercise). Your stats wont be exactly the same...but they wont be off my more than 2-300 cals. So lets say you can lose 1# a week on 1500 cals. You would need to eat about 900 cals less than that each day. So you would need to eat somewhere around 600cals a day. If you walk on the treadmill for 20mins each day, you will earn an additional 100cals...if you run for 20minutes somewhere between 150-200 cals.

Can you stick to 700-800 cals a day MAX for the next 12 weeks? Maybe. Will you lose your hair, screw up your metabolism, have sallow skin, brittle nails and feel ill constantly? Definitely.

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Some people, myself included, like to see the actual numbers...not just "no, its not possible" :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    @mkakids I actually appreciated the math. Thank you