weight gain instead of loss????

Options
Alright-well so when I started exercising before I joined this site I weighed 146 then I decided to go to the gym and have since gained weight-I know this is supposed to be muscle and water retention from not drinking enough from exercising but how many of you are having or have had this same experience?? and am I EVER going to LOSE WEIGHT?????!!!

Replies

• nikkilynn930
    Options
    Alright-well so when I started exercising before I joined this site I weighed 146 then I decided to go to the gym and have since gained weight-I know this is supposed to be muscle and water retention from not drinking enough from exercising but how many of you are having or have had this same experience?? and am I EVER going to LOSE WEIGHT?????!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I've gained several lbs since I started over a year ago, but lost plenty of bodyfat as well. I tend not to pay much attention to the scale anymore. You might lose weight, you might not. Does it really matter if you're losing body fat?
  • kewlmama
    Options
    that is very true ...but at the same time...it feels so good to see the numbers on the scale go down....i've been doing so good and this week i have lost nothing...trying to stay positive though...so yes you are not the only one ....don't feel bad...it'll happen :tongue:
  • williamsknollfarm
    Options
    I did the same thing in the first couple of weeks, I had to change my diet a bit and eat smaller snack sized portions throughout the day. Also, even though I wasn't losing any, but putting on a little, I was looking thinner in the mirror and given that muscle weighs more than fat, even if your fat is disappearing if you are putting on muscle you will weigh more, but your measurements will show the change because a smaller amount of muscle will weigh the same as a larger amount of fat.

I recommend taking your measurements so you can monitor that way. I've been monitoring by trying on clothes that didn't fit before and finding them to fit now and that makes me feel good even though looking at the numbers on the scale doesn't. But I have lost 5 pounds now in 3 1/2 weeks but that seems to fluctuate by 2 -3 pounds so I am trying to focus more on eating right and exercising and looking in the mirrow...

Keep working out! And try to focus out a little further and it should all work out ok...

Good Luck...