How do you feel about garden salads?

Options
2»

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I go through phases with salad. Sometimes i eat them daily or twice a day....then i wont have them for weeks!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I order them pretty often when we go out to eat. I have some food intolerances and some moral problems with conventional meat, so garden salads are usually a good default option for me to order. I like to use them at home as "filler" to help round out other higher calorie meal items, like pizza.

I hate salads that are mayonnaise/jello based. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a salad if it doesn't have some sort of green vegetable incorporated in it. Tuna salad, chicken salad, jello salad -- they're all imposters!
  • ValBFP4H
    ValBFP4H Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them but I prefer roasted vegetables. Grilled Romaine lettuce is tasty though! A little olive oil, salt and pepper..that's it!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of salads, but I do enjoy them when I have them. :)
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I grew up with leafy garden lettuces and hated them, but in my case it was a texture issue as well as a taste one. Now I shred my lettuce and get creative with 'salady' foods that I enjoy eating, rather than just lettuce and tomatoes.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I love salad, but it has more than just veg in it. I only add things I like and I switch up the greens. I normally add tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, hot sausage/chicken/bacon/cheese/egg and a homemade greek yogurt dressing that makes everything awesome. Or I will soft boil an egg and use the yolk for dressing. It's amazing.

Carrots do not belong in salad. I will roast or eat them raw but they ruin a perfectly lovely salad for me.
    I eat salad nearly every weekday, but it is different every day.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I usually eat salad for lunch at work. Lately I've been doing chopped romaine, tomato, broccoli, red pepper, carrot, onion, radish, light string cheese or blue cheese crumbles, diced protein (ham or salami), and real bacon bits. I like good seasons Italian dressing. I weigh out every thing and it comes in around 400-450 calories.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I coseuld live on them all by themselves. But I put everything I can find in there. My favorite lately is garbonzo beans. My husband won't eat them, but that's alright ,leaves more for me.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    pe169uut3wcs.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Also, I prefer lettuce salads to the 'spring mix' or arugula or whatever. I call those "Backyard Weed" salads, because it looks like somebody went into their backyard, picked a bunch of weeds and threw them in a salad bowl. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Also, I prefer lettuce salads to the 'spring mix' or arugula or whatever. I call those "Backyard Weed" salads, because it looks like somebody went into their backyard, picked a bunch of weeds and threw them in a salad bowl. :)

I love backyard weeds haha. I actually have all kinds of greens growing in my backyard. I love being able to pick the exact amount I need without worrying about any extra wilting and rotting. Actually I believe many would enjoy a green/herb garden. Even if it's just a tiny potted mint or lemongrass plant (extremely easy to care for) near the window in a small apartment building. For a tea lover is nothing more satisfying than picking a few leaves and throwing them in tea, or snipping off some chives (also easy to grow) for various uses.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I love backyard weeds haha. I actually have all kinds of greens growing in my backyard. I love being able to pick the exact amount I need without worrying about any extra wilting and rotting. Actually I believe many would enjoy a green/herb garden. Even if it's just a tiny potted mint or lemongrass plant (extremely easy to care for) near the window in a small apartment building. For a tea lover is nothing more satisfying than picking a few leaves and throwing them in tea, or snipping off some chives (also easy to grow) for various uses.

I wouldn't mind growing some mint (for tea), chives, and cilantro (for almost everything!). I love various greens, I just don't like the "backyard weed" salads - one or more of the greens in them always tastes bitter and foul to me.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I order them pretty often when we go out to eat. I have some food intolerances and some moral problems with conventional meat, so garden salads are usually a good default option for me to order. I like to use them at home as "filler" to help round out other higher calorie meal items, like pizza.

I hate salads that are mayonnaise/jello based. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a salad if it doesn't have some sort of green vegetable incorporated in it. Tuna salad, chicken salad, jello salad -- they're all imposters!

I've never heard of a jello based salad. Sounds more like a dessert!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Maybe she means savory aspic? I don't like that either. Or maybe jello/fruit salad? That I could do.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14465/orange-gelatin-salad/

It's a thing here in the rural south. If you go to any church potluck, you're certain to find at least one variety of jello salad on the buffet line. I once went to one where the only options of food were fried chicken, canned green beans, six kinds of jello salad (red, orange, green, yellow, purple, and sugar-free purple). It's considered a part of the main course down here. Nasty. Ick!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    You made me laugh. If you don't like them, that why on earth are you eating them? :)

that was my thought lol

i love salads though. never met one i didnt like. LOLOLOL
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to my lunch today - romaine lettuce, avocado, prawns, olives and pickled beetroot - with 1/2 lemon squeezed over and a few grains of sea salt.