I started at 299lbs. and after four weeks I am at 278lbs. Is this normal?

Options
I am a little concerned about this rapid weight loss (pleased but concerned). Any thoughts?

Replies

• SisC3
    SisC3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations! What is normal in weight loss is different from person to person. I'm not sure that 19 pounds in a month is typical, but it does happen. Make sure you are making healthy choices and keep up the good work.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    My understanding is the heavier you are at the start of your weight loss journey, the faster the weight comes off. At 300 pounds your metabolism is racing. As you lose weight your metabolism slows and so do the losses.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The initial weeks are often higher losses because of water weight. If you're still seeing greater than 2 pounds a week loss now, you might need to adjust something (higher activity level, eating back more exercise calories).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are doing well. :)
  • KimmyJaneTD
    KimmyJaneTD Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am a little concerned about this rapid weight loss (pleased but concerned). Any thoughts?

I started at 302. I lost 15lbs my first month. I have been measuring everything to make sure I am getting enough calories and I never feel famished... I believe if you are tracking everything and are sure you're eating enough then you're just fine.
  • AshetteKetchum
    AshetteKetchum Posts: 26 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good job, keep at it.
    There is no defined answer to if it is normal or not, because everyone's body is different. If you are new to this journey, you can expect that it will take time for your body to adjust and metabolism to become more active. Do not get discouraged. We all hit bumps in the road, cheat meals, and even completely fall off the wagon sometimes.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I started at 264.6 on Jan 4th and yesterday weighed in at 245.2 so a similar loss. I'm not concerned as I know from previous experience that I tend to lose weight quite fast down to about 220 or so and then the real hard work begins! As other pps have said, if you're sure you're eating enough and not going massively under your calories then just enjoy, it'll slow down soon enough, trust me!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    At the larger end it can! Since people fluctuate what you thought was your starting weight could have reflected sodium retention, etc too. If you feel fine, proceed as usual. If you suffered this past month you might want to set yourself to a smaller deficit. And make peace in advance that the speed weight will drop decreases the closer you get to an ideal weight.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Absolutely normal. I started at 278 and was 255 in exactly a month, a large portion of it is water weight and another may be your body getting used to the smaller digestion of food, than of course the actual fat that you have lost. Awesome job so far and continue on your journey and it will become a great habit.
  • jmackey1980
    jmackey1980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    jmgj27 wrote: »
    I started at 264.6 on Jan 4th and yesterday weighed in at 245.2 so a similar loss. I'm not concerned as I know from previous experience that I tend to lose weight quite fast down to about 220 or so and then the real hard work begins! As other pps have said, if you're sure you're eating enough and not going massively under your calories then just enjoy, it'll slow down soon enough, trust me!

Wow you're almost the same profile as me. I started at 264.5 on Dec 28th and currently at 242.2. I also have lost a lot in the past and found it hard past 220. Not sure about you, but I've also found it easy to maintain below 230 until I really let things get out of hand! I'm hoping to stick with things to get back below 200 again for only the second time since I was a teenager (last time was four years ago when I first joined here).
  • writerchickplus5
    writerchickplus5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up friend!
  • mebs84
    mebs84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Any special or specific food plan you followed.
  • mebs84
    mebs84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Any special or specific food plan you followed.
  • writerchickplus5
    writerchickplus5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well, I started out at 1887 calories, and gradually went down to 1687. I did not stick to it perfectly, but everyday, I commended myself for doing what I was doing. I allowed my self to have what I wanted to eat, and I kept track of everything in the Lose it! app for three weeks, then just the past ten days, I logged into myfitness pal. I drank lots and lots of water. I just started to excercise seriously last week.