Should I not weigh myself if I'm trying to lose weight and gain muscle?

Options
I've always heard that muscle weighs more than fat. I've just joined MFP with the intention of losing weight. I've never worked out before, but if I do, should I no longer weigh myself if I gain muscle? I don't want the scale to say I'm weighing more than I am.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit and lifting heavy you should still see weight loss. Besides minimal newbie gains we aren't gaining muscle in a deficit. I lost 35 lbs weight training this way.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    maybe take measurements instead if you don't want to know what the scale says.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You need your weight to calculate your body fat percent, which is how you will know if you're gaining or losing lean mass/body fat. Overall, though, go by your progress in your workouts and the fit of your clothes.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's all about nutrition no matter if your lifting weights or not, if your primary goal is gain muscle than eat at a calorie surplus and expect the scale to go up, if your goal is lose fat or weight than eat at a defecit and even with lifting weights you will see the scale go down
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Other than minimal noobie gains you won't see much weight training while at a deficit. Believe me I have tried. With a diet consisting of all the essential nutrients, supplements, and I still just gained definition. If you're looking to gain muscle, eat at a surplus of 250-350 so that you can gain muscle without too much fat gain. If you plan of continuing with weight training. Please do yourself and all of us a favour, lift only weight you can lift with proper form. You'll see much better results than flail training.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The scale will tell you what you weigh. It can't tell you you your body percentages. (There are these cool machines called the bod pod ... Pretty neat there are also machines you breath into that can give an accurate base daily calorie rate)
    It's just a tool to track progress, but it can't tell you the whole picture. I would definitely take measurements and pictures.