Gym

Options
I just signed up for the gym today any reccomnidation on what machines to use?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Free weights and treadmill
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Squat rack, free weights, elliptical
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Start with the basics, in the first month you don't want to overwhelm your body with complex moves and injure yourself. Don't want to lose the motivation and focus you got going now. Try a couple beginner classes if your gym offers them to get a taste of different things and see what you like and don't like
  • eskimohugger
    eskimohugger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you're just now starting out, a great workout are the stairmaster, lat pull, treadmills, and hand weights
  • eskimohugger
    eskimohugger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also agree with "frantzcr" because if youre just beginning, building up from low intensity is a lot more encouraging and usually ensures healthy progress from then on
  • natalieamaral
    natalieamaral Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So basically just treadmills is Good?
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    squats, incline bench, over head press, bent over rows...........4 sets of 10, 30 seconds rest in between sets-3 times a week.............that should get you started
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    frantzcr wrote: »
    Start with the basics, in the first month you don't want to overwhelm your body with complex moves and injure yourself. Don't want to lose the motivation and focus you got going now. Try a couple beginner classes if your gym offers them to get a taste of different things and see what you like and don't like

Very good advice!
  • sftbllcoachlp
    sftbllcoachlp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the gym today any reccomnidation on what machines to use?

Well it all depends on what your trying to accomplish. Different machines do different body parts. If your looking to get a lil more info on what each machine or what machine to use, or to find a workout program. Go to bodybuilding.com and you will find all kinds of info on different exercises for different body parts, and some good programs.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer a free training session where you can have a trainer walk you through the equipment and show you proper form?
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what your goals are. Cardio is great for fitness so you could use elipticals, stairmasters and rowing machines. If you wanted to strengthen your body, I'm sure there are some good lifting plans you could find online or on here. Typically, if you're new to lifting, I'd recommend sticking to the machines because they help you keep your form while lifting and reduce the risk of injury (provided you don't lift more than you can handle).
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Starting last year at 245 lbs. and a mostly sedentary life, I found the treadmill worked very well. You can adjust the incline and get quite a heart-rate built up even if you stay at a low-impact walking pace. It's nice to start out on one kind of machine and monitor your slow progress to a higher rate every day, before you complicate things by branching out. These days I'm using the elliptical more, which is still very low impact. When I'm lighter maybe I'll be able to go back to high-impact work without danger.

Some of this choice depends on whether you get bored or overwhelmed. I don't get bored on the treadmill if I'm listening to lectures or music, and I do get overwhelmed if I have to switch around too much and calculate programs and so on. But on the rare occasions when I do get bored, or feel too tired in some specific muscle group, I switch around among the stairmaster, the treadmill, the rowing machine, and the elliptical, plus sometimes the weight machines.

Everyone says free weights are best; I can't dispute that, but for some reason they don't call to me yet. It's good to find some machine or device or routine that you can do day after day without feeling an overwhelming urge to drop it, but that's different for everyone and can be found only by experimentation. Some kind of exercise right now is better than the ideal exercise you ought to do but never get around to because it seems so unattractive.