Splurging on Vacation?

Options
So I'm going on vacation in about one week. I'm going to be on a cruise for 4 days and I'll be in FLorida for another 4 days. I really want to relax and not stress about calories on my vacation but I don't want all of the progress I've made to go out of the window.

What do you guys think? How much weight would I gain if I splurge for 8 days?

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

Any advice would help!

Thanks!

Replies

• AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I had a 4 day splurge when I had relatives in town. We DRANK and we ate good food! I just had to remember portion size, and not eat until I was stuffed. And I didn't gain but a # or two in water weight from the sodium! You can still make decent choices (like salmon or grilled chicken) but enjoy the occational treat!! and also research ahead of time what drinks you should stick to that are going to be slightly lower calorie but still enjoyable. Tackle it with a game plan so that you don't have to think about it too much if the decision is already made! But remember that it's important to HAVE FUN!
  • acave9406
    acave9406 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I guess I would just splurge in moderation, but most of all just relax and enjoy yourself!!:flowerforyou:
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to decide ahead of time what you're going to do. Since you're going on a cruise, how about taking 2 laps around the deck, or making just a little time to check out the ship's awesome fitness room? How much ARE you willing to splurge? Is your goal to have 1 alcoholic drink and 1 something-sweet/day? Is your goal to come back the same weight or lighter than where you are now? Decide what your goals are and act on 'em. This vacation COULD be a way to show off your new lifestyle to the world! :)

It's hard to log when you're constantly eating food other people prepare, but sadly, there is no vacation from good health. It's so easy to fall back into bad habits - so why not take some of your good habits on vacation with you? It's the lightest luggage you'll ever carry.

(I had to make this decision for myself too. I am planning on meeting my in-laws in a few weeks, and I KNOW we'll be treated/tempted to great dinners out and such. I'm already hoping to spend some bonding time w/ one of my new sisters by running/walking together, even if it means getting up early!)
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with the same question, I'll be on vacation that week too! Here's what (I think) I've decided:

I'm going to workout every day, just like I wasn't on vacation, so I don't go backwards there.

I'm not going to eat more than my maintenance calories (which shouldn't result in a weight gain, although maybe a little water gain).

I'm going to continue to track calories through MFP, just so I know I'm not going over maintenance.

As soon as vacation is over, it's back to the calorie deficit.

Have a great vacation!
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My holiday is in 5 weeks.

I already know where we will be eating most of the time and I also know that we do a massive amount of walking so a little splurge will be counter balanced by that.

I have found now though that as I have been doing this for 2 1/2 years - my loss is very slow - that I find it very difficult to over eat as it makes me feel uncomfortable and slightly sick. So as long as I pick fairly healthy stuff I should be ok.

I am going to Canada though and Cinnabon is calling!
  • Laquia
    Laquia Posts: 11
    Options
    I think I'm just going to just listen to my body and not over eat. Besides, I can probably get SOME cardio in. I'm really afraid of the alcohol though. That stuff has so many calories and it's so easy just to drink one right after another. Maybe they'll have Skinny Girl Margaritas. Anyone ever try that?
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle in the fridge! I'll be taking some with me, too. It's pretty good. Tart, definitely not too sweet. You could ask the bartender to mix one for you if they don't have it, just google the recipe, it's on Bethenny's site (or used to be).