Carb cycling or Keto for social benefits also!?

Options
Hi :)
I'm looking for any any info or advice and success on carb cycling and Keto cycling (I may have made that up!) If I'm correct, it's done by people to gain muscle and shred fat alternately?
I've put my own theory into action and have been aiming to go Ketogenic or at least very low carb from Monday - Friday then eating carbs Saturday and Sunday.
It fits in like a gem with my social life and seems to be giving me good results so far. I want to loose body fat, a few kg's worth to get back to previous goal, and sculpt my muscles.
I'm into my 4th week of doing it now and it is proving to be a winner so far!
I'd love your thoughts and feedback! Thanks :)

Replies

• alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Don't you slip out of ketosis sat and Sunday and it causes issues? I would love to do this plan.. message and add me details please.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    sar_astill wrote: »
    Hi :)
    I'm looking for any any info or advice and success on carb cycling and Keto cycling (I may have made that up!) If I'm correct, it's done by people to gain muscle and shred fat alternately?
    I've put my own theory into action and have been aiming to go Ketogenic or at least very low carb from Monday - Friday then eating carbs Saturday and Sunday.
    It fits in like a gem with my social life and seems to be giving me good results so far. I want to loose body fat, a few kg's worth to get back to previous goal, and sculpt my muscles.
    I'm into my 4th week of doing it now and it is proving to be a winner so far!
    I'd love your thoughts and feedback! Thanks :)

sculpt my muscles...... and gain muscle and shred fat alternately

You might want to do more research.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    Don't you slip out of ketosis sat and Sunday and it causes issues? I would love to do this plan.. message and add me details please.

Yeah that was my first thought...
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well that is a form of carb cycling. There are different types of carb cycling generally with carb cycling tho on hc days you cut back your fats very low.

The cycle I did was lc lc hc lc lc hc free day but also I cycled calories. Lc -1200 to 1400 hc 1500 to 1800 and free 2400 max. Free day is like carb loading a bit but I treated it like a hc day to avoid overindulging. Then every fourth week you eat hc everyday.

Alternatively you can do lc hc lc hc lc hc, or lc lc lc hc lc lc lc, or hc hc hc lc hc hc hc. Etc and pick a free/ cheat day.

You can google carb cycling to find out more on cycling types
  • sar_astill
    sar_astill Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for taking the time to help out with your advice! Much appreciated :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Losing body fat and gaining muscle are pretty much too different processes and for the most part cannot be achieved simultaneously, regardless if you carb cycle.The former requires a deficit, the latter a surplus. You are even further handicapped by being a women for this, since testosterone levels are like 1/14 of that of a male. Now, there is some ability to recomp where you eat at maintenance and progressive lift, but it can take some time (like a year +).

Overall, if you hold calories the same and macros neutral over the week, there will be 0 different in results. Some like carb cycling because of the additional carbs on lifting days can help maximize the amount of available glycogen, which might be effective for an elite athlete, but the average individual who isn't doing depletion workouts, will not really benefit it. Overall, this is a situation where you are majoring in the minors. There are just so many other components to get down prior to doing this.

With that said, if you like it and you feel it's helping you reach your goal and stay within your allotted calories, then keep it up. Dietary compliance is ultimately the most important aspect of success.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Losing body fat and gaining muscle are pretty much too different processes and for the most part cannot be achieved simultaneously, regardless if you carb cycle.The former requires a deficit, the latter a surplus. You are even further handicapped by being a women for this, since testosterone levels are like 1/14 of that of a male. Now, there is some ability to recomp where you eat at maintenance and progressive lift, but it can take some time (like a year +).

Overall, if you hold calories the same and macros neutral over the week, there will be 0 different in results. Some like carb cycling because of the additional carbs on lifting days can help maximize the amount of available glycogen, which might be effective for an elite athlete, but the average individual who isn't doing depletion workouts, will not really benefit it. Overall, this is a situation where you are majoring in the minors. There are just so many other components to get down prior to doing this.

With that said, if you like it and you feel it's helping you reach your goal and stay within your allotted calories, then keep it up. Dietary compliance is ultimately the most important aspect of success.

Majoring in the minors* Love that way of saying it