90 days later....And that is what it took my friends.

Options
WolffEarl
WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
So, let us get the unimportant stuff out of the way first. 90 days ago, I realized that I needed to do something to become fit again and drop some pounds. So here I am, 90 days later and 44 pounds lighter (250 to 206) with maybe around 10 more pounds to lose. SO WHAT? The much more interesting story is how I got there. So after some light math and some reflection I realized the following:
To lose those pounds I:
-I got up one hour earlier than normal (5:15 am rather than 6:15 am) so that makes 90 hours donated to getting fitter. Also went to bed a bit earlier and therefore avoided later binging and hunting for icecream and late movies.
-Exercised every day anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours, mostly around 40 minutes/day... so that is ~ 60 hours.
-Jogged around 500 km in those 90 days, most days 5 K plus regular 10 k too, amazing how peaceful and quiet it is at 5:20 in the morning along the river and lake..
- Cycled around 400 km on my bike.. saw lots of lovely country side.
- Increased both my speed of running and the distance I run. From barely running a 5 k at first to recently running a 1/2 marathon.
-Increased my cycling distances from regular 15 K to 20, 30, 40 and recently 60 K cycling, on my trusty mountain bike, named Ferdinand for his reliant and strong yet silent demeanor (I assume everyone names their bikes, yes?:)
-Did over 1000 pushups in that time (started with being able to do just 19 in one go, now up to around 60).
-Put on some gloves and pounded a heavy bag, at least 10 000 times. (oh how the stress and tension just flowed away... I teach so stress comes with the territory).
-My 45 inch waist became a 37 inch waist.
- My core strength went from barely a minute plank to just over 3 minute plank now.
-Did it all on my own, no gym, fancy equipment (accept a trusty TM in the house, which I used on miserable days)
- Ate very well for 85 of those days. lots of fruit, veggies, lean meats, planned out ahead of time (luckily for me, I do not mind the same foods over and over again, so much delightful stuff). Only 5 days went over calories (we are talking 2000 to 4000 calories over, no questions asked). This in spite of the fact that my munchkins and sweetie love to have sweets/pizza, etc. around.
-Use my innate stubbornness to great effect when my body was sometimes telling me to "sleep in" or Not today.. I ignored its voice and kicked myself in gear.
-Had the great fortune of discovering mfp, 90 days ago and "met" some wonderful friends here, whose inspiring stories made me realize how many fantastic folks are out there willing to lend support. You guys rock!.

Now looking back that might seem like a lot but I have come to realize that it does not matter what you did yesterday, nor does it matter what you plan to do tomorrow or even on Monday. It only matters what you do TODAY (As I sit here, am still slightly sweating from my just completed 4 mile run.)
For those of you you think about "OH how long the road, how steep the climb still" forget all that. It only matters what you do now and let tomorrow come tomorrow. So, if you, dear reader, have been eating poorly up to right now today or not exercised yet.. it does not matter as long as you get up, right now, make yourself a healthy meal, take a healthy walk, squat, punch at a bag.. whatever.. and then tomorrow maybe do it again... and just like that.... and life will be good. Be well.

AND that is what it took my friends.

P.S. I do of course have an unfair advantage in that I am an unabashed optimist by nature.

Replies

• GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    well said. Congrats to you. Keep it up.
  • torshi
    torshi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's awesome congrats!
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    Well said, and more importantly, well done.
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    Very inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    Congratulations! I want your drive. I'm not really a morning person but I work days. Today was my day off and I still got up at 5:50am and left for my 2 mile walk at 6:05am. It took me 33 minutes (my average time). I'm eaten heatly today (except for the peanut butter blossoms that the kids & I made -- I only had ONE!!). I still have to figure out dinner but it will probably be chicken or shrimp with some brown rice & steamed veggies. I will probably have one more cookie tonight too!!!
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Very Nice! Great job!
  • skinnyjeans1224
    skinnyjeans1224 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! Words of wisdom. thanks for sharing,
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Great job! Such an inspiration!
  • DannyDD79
    DannyDD79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great story brother!!
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    I like this. I too am an unabashed optimist. It is good. And a think a congratulations is also in order. It's one thing to say it - it's another to do it.
  • neuroticlin89
    neuroticlin89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    congrats and thanks so much for sharing. it's definitely more inspiring to hear about what you did and how you got to achieving your goals. most of the success stories on here usually just tell us how much someone has lost and a before and after picture. so thanks and goodluck with the last ten pounds!

i keep hearing and reading about the benefits of waking up early but it's just so hard to get out of bed.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Very well written....and very well carried out, well done mate!
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Reading this was such an inspriation! I admire your stubborness and optimism! Great job!!!! I think I will be getting up earlier tomorrow :)
  • giftedcat
    giftedcat Posts: 11
    Options
    Great Post! I agree that if you want to change... you have to make the change.

Well done!
  • emgi
    emgi Posts: 15
    Options
    What a beautiful soul! And in an optimist- who knew? :P
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Great job friend! :)
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    Awesome job! Very inspiring!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!