Food Diary

Options
Hi all!
Has anyone else noticed the sodium count for most things are extremely high when entered into our daily food diary? For example, 2 slices of Boars Head ham does not have 2000 grams of sodium nor does a WW protein shake coming in at 190 grams of sodium. Is there a glitch in the system?
Thanks
:)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Database entries are created by your fellow users. Some are accurate, some aren't. If it isn't a verified entry, you can correct it yourself.

• morey235
    morey235 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have noticed this also. There is an awful lot of sodium in everything listed. I wonder if it is right too.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    morey235 wrote: »
    Yes, I have noticed this also. There is an awful lot of sodium in everything listed. I wonder if it is right too.

According to their website, 2 ounces of Boar's Head ham have 590 mgs of sodium. "2 slices" is a pretty meaningless measurement for ham, so I would avoid that database entry anyway.

And the sodium count for the Weight Watchers smoothie is 190 mg (at least for the one that I looked up), so that one could be right.

OP, foods like deli meat and pre-made shakes do tend to have lots of sodium. Before concluding these are wrong, you might want to double-check the product websites.
  • morey235
    Options
    I think that is what I am going to do.. I was told to look at the nutrition labels on food and compare to what the list says. I am on 1200 calorie, but I have lost no weight in 2 weeks. I do exercise and measure my food. Very frustrated.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Deli meat has loads of sodium. Maybe not 2000 but, loads none the less and 190 for a protein shake sounds right. You will learn overtime what has more sodium than others. I watch my sodium because of my kidneys so I only eat lunch meat like 2 times a year and don't eat most frozen foods or canned foods. I check all breads, tortillas and cheese. I basically check everything but, I am always looking for the best bang for my buck so to speak sodium wise.
  • morey235
    Options
    Are you losing weight. How many calories are you on?
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I agree that the ham likely doesn't have 2,000, but the shake totally could have 190. It's probably not a glitch in MFP - just someone putting in the wrong numbers. If you know the right ones (or have the time to go to the Boar's Head site for nutritional info), mark the entry as incorrect and put in the right numbers.
  • morey235
    Options
    I am now doing the checking of food… some things are right and some are not right… I do answer whether it is right or wrong.
  • Christie1122
    Christie1122 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I do not typically eat a ton of lunch meats either but as Boars head is the only meats that are free of preservatives it can make an easy/occasional snack. But I thought the sodium count was higher than most. I will look at the nutritional label for the protein shake (not pre-made) its a powder you add water too. Thanks for all your input. :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thank you all! I do not typically eat a ton of lunch meats either but as Boars head is the only meats that are free of preservatives it can make an easy/occasional snack. But I thought the sodium count was higher than most. I will look at the nutritional label for the protein shake (not pre-made) its a powder you add water too. Thanks for all your input. :)

The pre-made Weight Watchers shake I looked up and verified at 190 mg was a powder.
  • Christie1122
    Christie1122 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yup, I looked at the label when I went home and sure enough 190g sodium. Yikes.