definitely addicted to sugar!

Options
Gave up all sweets and chocolate at the beginning of January, stuck to my guns without fail until today.
Bored at work so I just had to have 2 chocolate bars - I was really hoping that after a month off the craving would cease but it seems to have got stronger and stronger until today a complete binge!
Has anyone any ideas about how long it takes to break the habit??? I know that having small portions/substitutes just does not work for me.
Any ideas gratefully received :)

Replies

• TXMary2
    TXMary2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Unless you have given up high glycemic carbs and fruits too, your quest to be sugar free is probably futile with regards to cravings going away. Sugar is everywhere - in most processed and packaged foods, in fruit and when you eat pasta, rice, etc, it converts to glucose once you eat it.

Cravings are like stray cats, if you feed them, they never go away.
  • solidjan
    solidjan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks TXMary2. No I have not given up high GI food, just sweets and chocolate. Oddly I dont crave pasta or fruit - just sweeties! I love your image of cravings being like stray cats and I know that if I give in I will never get round this but what on earth can I do to keep me going when the urge just breaks my resolve?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My suggestion: make the sweets fit into your day.

I eat chocolate everyday. I make it fit my calories. I also make sure I'm getting my macronutrients in everyday, then treating myself.

Sweets, within reason, won't make you gain weight or stall your weight loss. Only eating too many calories will do that. If you can keep your sanity by eating a small piece of chocolate everyday, then keep your sanity and treat yourself with a piece of chocolate that fits your calorie and macronutrients goals.. (I eat Hershey's Kisses, roughly 25 calories a piece so I can have 2-3 throughout the day and not feel guilty.)

ETA: Never mind. Just reread your post and see that small portions isn't what you were looking for. Keeping my original reply for anyone lurking/reading without commenting who may find it helpful.

The only thing I would suggest outside of small portions would be drink unsweet tea when you get a craving. You can find unsweet fruit teas (blueberry, raspberry, etc.) that may help.
  • solidjan
    solidjan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thank you XCalygrl - will give it a go . As for today, well I'll just try to leave it behind me :)