A gym workout...

Options
Hey I'm hitting the gym tomorrow cause it says rain all day and I've been swimming a lot this week already - I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good gym workout to maximise my time there - Realistically I only have an hour to fit into my day to go so if people have suggestions of what to do, how long for etc. I'd appreciate any suggestions! :smile:

Replies

• ashleycarder24
    Options
    Walking on the treadmill at 3.5 mph for an hour at an incline goal of 10%

I usually start at 3.5 mph for 5-10 minute on 0% . Then, every 5 minutes (or whenever you're feeling ok), increase that incline. It's a major calorie burner, works those hamstrings and bootie! :) Try not to hold onto those handle bars! Good luck!
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    spinning class....awesome calorie burn
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to split my time up in the gym between weights and cardio. If I only have an hour, I do a 10 minute warm up on a piece of cardio equipment, then spend 20 minutes in the weight room, 20 minutes of cardio, and finish with a 10 minute stretch. For weights I do one or two body parts so I can do weights daily, but you can also do a total body day if you aren't going to hit weights the next day. Usually, they have the machines set up so you can go around in a circle or up and down a couple of rows and get a total body workout. 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps each, making sure the weight is enough that the last 2 are tough to complete, for 6-8 exercises usually takes me about 20 minutes.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Normally I prefer weights over cardio in a gym setting, especially if you something like circuit training because you can get a cardio workout while using weights.

I never workout in a gym, or anywhere else actually, for longer than an hour. It depends on your specific goals how you want to plan your workout regimen. I always advocate weights (heavy weights) over cardio, though. Too many people downplay the importance of weight training in fat loss!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    When I can go for only one thing, I choose elliptical. I do 70 minutes a day (well, usually) and strength training. However, if I have to cut it short, I go for just the elliptical.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    when im not doing a class, ill usually hit the weights for about 20 minutes then do about 35 40 minutes of cardio. Precor AMT Experience Series Adaptive Motion Trainer is my #1 piece of cardio equipment, i love that thing. Next to that is the arc trainer.
  • daniellepaskewitz
    Options
    Lately when I'm tight on time I get on the stationary bike. I do the program random with an average level of 16 for 30 min. My heart rate goes up like crazy and my legs get a great work out. After than I do 5 of abs and call it good. I do this on the elliptical too.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm hitting the gym tomorrow cause it says rain all day and I've been swimming a lot this week already - I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good gym workout to maximise my time there - Realistically I only have an hour to fit into my day to go so if people have suggestions of what to do, how long for etc. I'd appreciate any suggestions! :smile:

Are you talking weightlifting, cardio..? If seems like you get a lot of cardio in with your swimming.