Who supplements?

Options
And why? I am in the cloudy PNW, so I am thinking some vitamin D isn't a bad idea. But I also am not interested in paying for "expensive urine" (which is how vitamins were once explained to me by a nutritionist).

Replies

• muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes, fish oil and creative. I hardly ever eat fish and creative had been proven time and time again in improving performance.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Creatine*. Lol damn iPhone
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I take a couple.
    Vitamin d and iron - doctors orders
    Biotin and folic acid - estheticians orders
    Fish oil - I heard it was good to take. I have no idea if it actually works or not.
    Caffeine - addicted, can't function without it.
    Melatonin - to sleep
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I take a rotating number of supplements at any given time for varying reasons.

Things I take for health:
    Creatine
    Protein
    Vit D (doctor prescribed due to deficiency)
    Vit b12 due to not eating meat
    Multi

Things I take because I keep good records of health, fitness, how I feel, performance, etc and my job likes to have guinea pigs for new products:

Any number of stupid things that I would never pay for but take and give reviews on. Usually "this is useless and made me queasy, or something similar"

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    BCAA's - bc I train fasted
    L-glutamine - preserve muscle
    L-carnatine - supposedly helps burn fat
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    You are a vegetarian? It could be b12 you might be needing. Multivitamins are very cheap at stores like walmart or target. Buy the generic. They will also have some vitamin D in them.
  • crittergirl222
    crittergirl222 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You are a vegetarian? It could be b12 you might be needing. Multivitamins are very cheap at stores like walmart or target. Buy the generic. They will also have some vitamin D in them.

I did this! Thank you for the advice. :)
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    -Creatine
    -BCAAs (I usually won't buy these, but I'm usually gifted them all the time so I take them. I do like to train fasted though, so will take around training time).
    -caffeine (sometimes)
    -arginine (sometimes)

My main supplements are basically creatine and food!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Magnesium
    Iron
    B-12

Doctor's orders. Chronically low in all 3 along with having the blood pressure of a corpse.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I used to take b12 pills, got to where it was hard to function without them so now it's fish oil, drink bcaas all day long, protein shakes to meet macros, and of course gotta have the preworkout to lift heavier.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I used to take b12 pills, got to where it was hard to function without them so now it's fish oil, drink bcaas all day long, protein shakes to meet macros, and of course gotta have the preworkout to lift heavier.

Why would you drink BCAA's all day long? Makes no sense. A pre-workout wont make you lift heavier by the way. Are your macros that bad you need to drink shakes (I assume you mean more than one since you said shakes) ?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    For living in the Pac Northwest, B Complex + C can help combat the seasonal affective disorder. I also recommend D, but keep in mind that D is NOT water-soluble, it's a fat soluble, so too much D stays in the body. Unless under doctor supervision, stick with a lower dosage.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin D as my levels are a little low. However, I'm not taking a major dose (a little over 1,000 IU's a day).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    B12: doctor's recommendation because of a tendency towards anemia
    D3: doctor's recommendation because of SAD (also helps with the anemia)
    MSM for the joints
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D (because I don't get much sun in the winter), B12 (I'm vegan), iron (in consultation with my doctor because my iron tends to be low), and vegan DHA.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I just take biotin :) my doctor thinks I might need to be on a potassium supplement but no concrete decisions yet.
  • vikkihogan
    vikkihogan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use omega 3 for cardio support - helps with joints ect - which helps as I do a ton of HITT and plyo exercises.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I do. I take a lot of different vitamins: D, multi, calcium, fish oil, cumin, coQ10, C, Krill, DHEA-- and a bunch of others -- because I personally don't think one can get all of their nutrients from the food they eat. I get my blood tested a few times a year and adjust what I take accordingly.

If anything you should be taking vitamin D. I take close to 10,000 IU's and I'm still low.
  • PiSquared
    PiSquared Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking a multi-vitamin. Looking at my nutrition stats, I am consistently below what I should be getting for a number of items. Calcium and iron are the big one for me. I'm only getting about half of my recommended level through food. I'm doing better on iron , but it's also consistently low and I've had issues with anemia in the past. I'm also low on several other vitamins. I thought I was eating healthier than my numbers tell me, so I'm either not eating a sufficient quantity (very possible, as I've been restricting calories for weight loss), or not eating enough of a variety (also very possible, but I thought I was doing well), or a combination of both. a one a day multi-vitamin seemed like the easiest way to handle the situation.

I may start taking a fiber supplement as well. I thought I was doing reasonably well in this department, but, again, my numbers show me falling below my recommended levels consistently.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    And why? I am in the cloudy PNW, so I am thinking some vitamin D isn't a bad idea. But I also am not interested in paying for "expensive urine" (which is how vitamins were once explained to me by a nutritionist).
    It may be worth getting a blood test to see where you are deficient. I take vitamin D because of doctor's orders after a blood test. If you don't want "expensive urine", this is probably your best option.