what's your favorite comfort food?

Options
I thought it would be fun to share our favorite comfort foods...AND tell how we could make them healthier!

I'll go first...mine is chicken noodle soup and cheese dip. I am diabetic so have to watch my carbs...the chicken noodle soup isn't TOO bad, but has lots of sodium. I've tried the low-sodium broths and am TRYING to get used to the taste... As for the cheese dip...not sure what to do about that! It's the chips I have to eat with it that are bad for me...

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love mashed potatoes.

I will make them with half cauliflower to help reduce the number of calories.

• dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to try cauliflower instead of rice for stir fry, and as a pizza crust!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Avocado. Seriously comforting.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    shells and cheese...gluten free...I don't try to make it healthier, I just don't eat it very often...
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    French fries. Not just any frozen fries though - really good, fresh, hand-cut fries. Sometimes if I'm feeling cheeky I'll top 'em with cajun salt or herbs/parmesan. **Drool**

I refuse to swap my fries for zucchini or something else ridiculous, so I just eat less.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hmm, tough question. I think pinto beans and cornbread. That was my favorite meal as a child.

Edit: I'm not really sure how to make this healthier as it's already a pretty healthy dish. I don't add the bacon fat my mom did.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love, love, love mashed potatoes.

I will make them with half cauliflower to help reduce the number of calories.

Mashed potatoes with chicken broth instead of milk is very good and cuts out calories too. I love it that way even without added butter. The broth gives it a rich taste.

ETA: My favorite comfort food is kielbasa with cabbage and mashed potatoes. (yes, it comes as a set in my house) :D
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    COOKIES! all of them. all the cookies.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    New Mexico Green Chile stew...it's already pretty healthy with cubed lean pork tenderloin, potatoes, and loads of chiles.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Rice is my ultimate comfort food. I'll usually just eat brown rice with a little butter, pepper, and maybe sugar...so it's not too "horrible" or whatever...
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Cheeseburger is comfort at it's best for me. I use ground round 93/7. Since meat has a tendency to be dry, I sautee onions and mushrooms in a small amount of olive oil to put on top.. For cheese, I use 2% milk american.

Other favorites - stuffed peppers using ground chicken or ground round and brown rice.

Pasta dishes using fiber gourmet light pasta.
  • OzarkLady76
    OzarkLady76 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cheese dip made with Rotel & Velveeta...I don't eat it often but it's so delicious and horrible for me. Baked chips and salsa is a healthier way to get my chips & dip fix.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Love stuffed peppers too.

I'd have to say pasta and meatballs (or meat sauce), or shepherd's pie for me though. I can get a good serving of each for 500 calories too! Or Kodiak power cakes 'sandwich' with ham, Swiss cheese, and a fried egg on top. So tasty. And fried eggs, bacon, and a slice of homemade bread.

The one I can't really make lower calories is ribs and cornbread. Don't care about the sides, but I need my cornbread! That and sushi... which I almost never have anymore because it doesn't fill me up for the calories.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Between reading this thread and having a roast in the crock pot for enchiladas tonight, I am getting sooo hungry. :p
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Cheese dip made with Rotel & Velveeta...I don't eat it often but it's so delicious and horrible for me. Baked chips and salsa is a healthier way to get my chips & dip fix.

You may hate this, but I've dipped dips in carrot "chips" (carrots cut so they're longer and a bit thicker than an average slice). Not as good as a tortilla chip, but if you're looking for a way to get dip to your face, it works!
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I'm not opposed to eating cheese dip with a spoon to avoid the carbs! :(
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Wait wait wait. Speaking of eating with a spoon reminds me of gravy. Haaa.

Mashed potatoes with gravy. No substitution for this one. :D
  • Jenp789
    Jenp789 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Love pizza. Have made it with cauliflower and it is delicious!
  • RachL235
    RachL235 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Waffles with syrup and squirty cream!!! No way is there a healthy version
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Pizza. Any and all.