So upset with myself

Options
I can't seem to get through one day perfect. I exercised today, ate well, didn't eat birthday cake at the party, had a salad for dinner and then proceeded to eat 8 Hershey miniatures and a handful of m m peanut. Why can't I stay on track? I am my own worst enemy.

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? And since there is a baby in your aviator, I have to ask. Are you breastfeeding? Too low of a calorie goal can lead to a binge, big or small, and so can breastfeeding if you aren't getting adequate calories.
  • Hfeff
    Hfeff Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's funny, actually that baby is now almost 4 years old but I do have a five month old infant. I'm not breastfeeding I just can't stop eating the crap.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ok, but what is your calorie goal? Maybe you need to fit sweets into your daily calories, so you don't go "off track" later on.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with birthday cake, hershey kisses, or m&m's.

Most of the folks here will tell you to eat everything you like in moderation.

You could eat nothing but chocolate within your calories and lose weight just fine. But odds are you would be hungry and malnourished eventually.

If you like chocolate, plan to have some with lunch and/or dinner. Account for the calories. I nearly always have dessert with dinner. It may just be a Ghiradelli square of chocolate, but I always have something.

Focus on eating nutritious foods throughout the day so you're not too hungry. Find what you feel is yummy and keeps you full. Foods rich in protein and fiber help here.

Then, have some chocolate. It's fine. It doesn't mean you "fell off the wagon" or anything like that.

~Lyssa
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hun, I feel you but my suggestion is going to be less practical & more psychological: don't try for "perfect", just try for better.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a Ghiradelli Chocolate square every night. It's 60 calories and it's my treat. Please don't beat yourself up. You are not perfect. No of us are. Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start. You can do this.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    "Perfect" doesn't exist, except in your mind. Cut yourself some slack. :) I bet if you'd let yourself have a little bit of cake, you wouldn't have felt the need to eat the candy. Also, make sure that you're getting all of your protein and fiber - that can go a long way to cutting the desire to pig out on bad things.
    You can do this. It's not about perfect- it's about finding the lifestyle plan that works for you.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Are you restricting too much? It's much more likely you will binge if you are refusing yourself things you love like chocolate. I ate 70 calories worth of dark chocolate pumpkin spice almond candy. That's the kind of thing I eat when I dont have a ton of calories left by want something sweet. If I have the calories, I'll have a donut (did that the other day) or a cookie. I tend to know I'll want something sweet at some point in the day so I generally decide what I want it to be and reserve the calories for it ahead of time. If I simply refused to allow myself something sweet, I wouldn't last long.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I start my day with a 77 calorie Linder dark chocolate truffle sometimes. Totally worth 20 minutes of walking.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different some people can have sweets in moderation for me personally i can't just have half a bag of m&ms or one cookie so it's something I completely stay away from unless it's a really special occasion and I work off the excess calories I ate, the key is finding what works for you.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    One thing I've found to be the most helpful is to log everything before you eat it. So when I'm choosing what I want to eat for lunch, I go ahead and log it and see how much it will set me back and how much I'll have for the rest of the day. today, I knew going into dinner that I wanted cereal for desert so when I was choosing what I wanted for dinner, I logged it and the cereal ahead of time so that I could ensure I'd stay within my calories. I find that simply KNOWING how much it's going to cost me calorically helps me prioritize any cravings I have.
  • nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Good advice above.

You are indeed your own worst enemy because you expect far too much of yourself: as others have pointed out, there is no such thing as perfect. You're just setting yourself up to fail. How about a change of mindset? Look at it this way: you ate well (+1), worked out (+1), passed on the cake (+1), ate the candy (-1). That's a net of +2. You could have had the cake and the candy, but you didn't. I'd call that a small victory.

(editing to fix my math. some engineer I am, sheesh)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Maybe trying to be perfect is the enemy.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you cant leave it alone, stop buying it.

i can leave anything alone except peanut butter cups.

guess what i very rarely buy..... ;)
  • adamgheli
    adamgheli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way Hfeff. With me, it was my brain trying sabotaging/tricking me me. It (my brain) made it logical that
    "...hey you tried to stay away and see what happend...you can't keep this up any longer....time to quit and dive your face into the candy bag cuz there's no point to resisting..."

Hope I'm making sense. Yes, we have an enemy within that likes to keep things going the EASY way. Don't let it fool you. It's not you, it's the enemy...the bad side of you. We all have it and must not let it trick us. It's very cunning! Keep up with what you're doing. All those that gave you advice here are sincere. Best of luck.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Perfect does not exist.

There is nothing wrong with including chocolate in your diet.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If we are defining a perfect day as not eating any junk food, then I'm yet to have one, and don't intend to have one anytime soon.

Most days I eat to my calories, sometimes I eat more. I don't think I've ever accidentally ate over my calorie goal, but if I'm hungry and the food is good I'll go over and say screw it, I'll make up for it in the rest of the week (flexible dieting for the win). No reason to get upset over it.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I would log it and then do better tomorrow. It's not the end of the world.
  • Gertie011
    Gertie011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ive just drank a yazoo chocolate shake, Im in my calories, it was lovely. The rest of the day I'm good.
    As all the others have said its all about planning, and eating mindfully.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Hfeff wrote: »
    I can't seem to get through one day perfect. I exercised today, ate well, didn't eat birthday cake at the party, had a salad for dinner and then proceeded to eat 8 Hershey miniatures and a handful of m m peanut. Why can't I stay on track? I am my own worst enemy.

Prior to the Hershey's minis, how many calories had you eaten?