Going over on protein

Options
I seem to go over on protein grams for the day but do fine for fat and carbs. I am not on a high protein, atkins style diet. I eat an egg or two with breakfast and then chicken with lunch and sometimes don't even have meat with dinner. Is it okay to go over? Should I just focus on the calories and not worry about the individual catagories? Also, I am doing P90X so maybe some extra protein is in order.

Replies

• mamamouse
    Options
    I seem to go over on protein grams for the day but do fine for fat and carbs. I am not on a high protein, atkins style diet. I eat an egg or two with breakfast and then chicken with lunch and sometimes don't even have meat with dinner. Is it okay to go over? Should I just focus on the calories and not worry about the individual catagories? Also, I am doing P90X so maybe some extra protein is in order.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i go over on protein too, not sure what to do or how bad of an effect it has but i do know i wore a pair of jeans this weekend that didn't fit 2 weeks ago. I don't weight alot cause it depresses me if i don't see a change but i am kind of feeling it so i am not worrying about it too much.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I used to go over on the protein, then found out that the protein % is low, so I changed all of the percentages for protein, carbs and fat. You can go into the change goals area to do this. I still am either over or under on them, so I just mainly try to stay within calories. :smile:
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I used to go over on the protein, then found out that the protein % is low, so I changed all of the percentages for protein, carbs and fat. You can go into the change goals area to do this. I still am either over or under on them, so I just mainly try to stay within calories. :smile:

I'm glad you mentioned this! I went and checked what they had my percentages at and they had the fat and protein inverted. Carbs should be around 50-55 percent. But fats should only be 20 percent, with only 10% of that or less being saturated....they had mine at like 30%! And proteins should make up the rest...so 25-30%...they only had mine at 20%! :laugh: Glad I looked!

And to answer the original question. I think it's ok to go over protein a little bit. My mom is a diabetic, and I try to follow her eating habbits, and even though its heavy carbs (carbs as in Veggies...not bread), it's also pretty heavy in protein!
  • mamamouse
    Options
    Do you think 40-30-30 such as the zone is a good goal? I'm not sure what my is set up at right now. I did follow my calorie guidelines very strictly this week and lost weight. I just didn't see myself as a high protein eater.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I go over my protien everyday. I try to eat 1/2 grams of protien for every one pound of body weight.

The general rule is for women 1/2 to 3/4 gram for every kilogram that they weigh, and for men 3/4 to 1 gram for every kg. However, I'm in the US and my scale says pounds so I just go with 1/2 g for every pound.
  • mamamouse
    Options
    I just checked my profile and my protein goal was 15%. That explains a lot. I changed it to 30, left the fat at 15 and upped the carbs to 55. I like the idea of 1/2 gram of protein for every pound. I am going to start looking at that and see how I'm doing.