Electric pressure cooker?

Does anyone have one they live? Any tips? I just bought one and have had some difficulties, which may be user error. I want to love it!

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    I have the instant pot brand. There is a company Facebook page for that brand. You can join the page if you have another brand, but be aware that the instant pot brand operates at a lower psi then other brands so you may need to adjust the time accordingly.
  • amiaow
    amiaow Posts: 35 Member
    I recently bought one too, love it. Use a pressure cooker guide to set the time & pressure. Make sure that the liquid barely covers what's in the pressure cooker if you're cooking a stew or something like that or it will be too runny!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    I got my Instant Pot for Christmas (like many, many other people). It is amazing and I absolutely love it. Pork is fall-off-the-bone tender always, and everything I have made has tasted incredible - flavors are very concentrated. I modify a lot of slow cooker recipes for the IP (super easy - just adjust the cooking time). Soups are so very easy to make.

I made a lot of stock and my own plain yogurt all the time now. Hard boiled eggs is a breeze (and such an easy snack). After the first few times, I put stuff in, and then I walk away.

The only thing to note is that it is not really "fast" cooking since it takes 10-20 mins to come up to pressure and another 10 mins to release the pressure. I always add 30 mins to any recipe cooking time.

What types of difficulties are you having?
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Instapot here....use it primarily for soups and as a rice cooker
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    I have a Power Pressure Cooker XL (also 2 stove top cookers), but would have bought a Instant Pot if anyone local would have had one when I needed it (main reason being the stainless pot). I like and use them all but the electric is definitely easier to use since you don't have to monitor and adjust heat to make it happy. Cant beat fall off the bone meat in 30 mins, and like elaineamj, have made many slow cooker meals in the pressure cooker instead (just as good, but way faster). What issues are you having?
  • amyfaber7
    amyfaber7 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks guys!! I got the Power Pressure Cooker XL. I think it's a dud. It takes at least half hour to come to pressure and takes forever to cook. Took me almost 3 hours to get a pot of soup done last night!! I'm going to try some Mac and cheese tonight, but after this, I'm sending it back and I've ordered an Instant Pot!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    The challenge with a pressure cooker (even the IP), is that if you misjudged your cooking time and your food is not quite done, you have to set it to pressurize again. So add 15-20(or more) mins to come up to pressure, 5-10 mins at high pressure, then another 10+mins to release pressure naturally. I just eat my food slightly underdone or finish it on sauté (or broil in the oven or whatever) Not worth the hassle!
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Amy, are you sure you have the valve set to pressure and not just running with it open?
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    My sister has one and uses it all the time. go to allrecipes.com and search this topic. you'll find loads of recipes and best practices on how to use it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Instant Pot six quart, I love it. I grew up as a kid using stove top pressure cookers which are more fiddly.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Instant Pot