Weighing Meat

justinlrhodes989
justinlrhodes989 Posts: 7 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, little confused. Do you or are you supposed to weigh your meat before or after you cook it? I know some fat will cook its way out of meat depending on how you cook it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Before. If for some reason you are in a situation where the meat is already cooked, you can weigh it cooked but pick the correct entry from the database for cooked meat.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited February 2016
    There are entries for cooked and raw, for each kind of meat. If you can weigh it raw its a little more accurate because the amount of water/moisture in it can vary after its cooked. But often its not convenient to weigh one portion raw if you're making a dish or if the meat has bones in it. As long as you choose the entry that matches what you are weighing, it will be ok. Look for entries that actually specify "raw" or "braised" or "broiled" or at least "cooked."
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    You can do either if you have accurate information on the calories per unit weight in the cooked or uncooked state.
    I go to the USDA nutrient database http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ and search there. Any kind of meat I have searched for usually has the information in raw or cooked. I frequently use this database to check and see if what was entered into the MFP database is accurate.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    raw
  • Thank ya'll for the help! I'll stick to weighing raw when I can.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I eat it cooked, so I weigh it cooked.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Before
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    I always use the raw weight.