Getting back on track and staying on track.

Options
I started keeping track of food and exercise last year. I really did great. I lost over 60 lbs and was sooo happy. All of a sudden I can't work my program. I am eating like a crazy women at night. I am not record my food (except breakfast), have difficulty drinking the 8 glasses of water. I have gained back 20lbs. I don't understand what is going on and I am very frightened that I will end up gaining all the weight back. At night I ask my self if I am really hungry and the answer is No, but I eat anyway. Anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me when I lost too much too fast and I tanked my metabolism. I'd be curious to see what your calorie intake was like. Add me!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    So start logging again. Pick a deficit that is appropriate that you can adhere to, and when you hit goal weight continue to log.
  • shhcher
    shhcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Man..., I think I wrote this post. I'm in the same boat. Came back to the community to get some motivation. Come on Kathy, we don't want to gain anymore. Baby steps, let's drink our water. Maybe think about how much better we feel when we're in our smaller pants, ugh.
  • coleyeoward
    coleyeoward Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in a similar boat, everything was going great until late November when I snapped my planter fasica and only just back on my feet literally now. Back to square one.

Motivation is hard but in regards to water I found an app called 'Water Intake Reminder' is handy. You enter how much water you want to try and drink through out the day, you can set reminders at intervals (sounds like someone pouring water) to remind you to drink. I have mine set for every 60 minutes but you can change it for any interval. If I don't drink, I don't record on the app but when I do record it and over the course of the day you can see what you have had . I am easily drinking 3L a day with the app. It might help you.

Staying on track food wise is my biggest struggle, I eat well during the day, nights is my trouble after tea. I am not hungry but always find space to fit something in my tummy.
  • fitnessfreak545
    fitnessfreak545 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just want to be able to feel confident in my body. Whenever I eat something junky, I immediately know that it was bad for me. If anyone else wants to follow me on my journey, I will gladly follow yours as well. I would like some motivational friends who will push me to reach my goal. Good luck to everyone. I hope you reach your goals!
  • kathymc62
    kathymc62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. This is the first time I have reached out to the community for help and believe me I have struggled with my weigh forever. I plan to use the Water intake reminder. Thanks. Has anyone used the My Fitness Pal Premier?
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you are "eating like a crazy woman at night" then it isn't about food. Maybe there is something else going on in your life? If you're self sabotagung, there is an underlying issue that's making you mad at yourself. This is my specialty and keeps me yoyoing. But I'm doing better this time, you can too!
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This happened to me also. I lost 50 pounds and then just helplessly watched myself gain 25 of them back. All that hard work and I did nothing as I easily gained them back. I can't explain why I did this. Now I'm back and I am feeling so much more in control as I again relose weight I already lost. I think there are no easy answers. Weight gain is complicated and also individual. Of course its not about food, this is very complicated and I do not think current science knows enough to understand all the hidden motivations and factors. All I can say is if you fall down (as I did) it is possible to pick yourself up and keep trying. We are't perfect but as long as we don't give up, we will win in the end!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I haven't used premier but I sure do log into the community regularly to keep me from slipping too far. I check in every day- days when I feel like "I've got this" and the days when I feel "what the heck am I doing, and why?!" I could have written your post today after a rough month. Just keep logging!! No matter how much red I see, after my last go around and weight gain back, I just keep logging. You can get back on track. Just start slowly. Cut out the biggest trigger food first, not all of them at once. In a few days, cut another one out. Look at the red number get closer to flat. You'll get there in a few weeks. Just get started!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Experts agree that 80% of what is going on in our minds is sub-conscious. We also use food to medicate. And sometimes even go so far as sabotaging our efforts or punishing ourselves by gaining our weight back. I am convinced that lit is all psychological and learning precisely who we are. We all have weaknesses and strengths and for women especially, can become overloaded with guilt about their food desires and interests. For most of us, it's never easy but we have to choose to take charge and hold onto what is most important to us. I have finally learned that for me it's always going to be a challenge and a battle. I have just learned to put in place caution and safeguards. Even people who has never had a weight problem can easily eat an entire bag of cookies or finish a pint of ice cream in one setting. They have just learned what the triggers are don't place themselves in vulnerable positions with food. Good luck:)
  • kathymc62
    Options
    Thanks
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Be good to yourself. You are worth it :)
  • kalliecolegrove
    kalliecolegrove Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been really letting myself go lately and I'm really mad at myself and disappointed. I've been binging but I work out almost 3 times a day now. but I'm Still so mad at myself. I want to feel happy and healthy and confident.
  • lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When you hate somebody, to really hard to be loving to them. Well I hate myself, I don't make loving decisions for myself. That is the best reason to not hate yourself - you'll completely remove the support and love that you need to succeed.

Today I forgive myself so unhealthy decisions in my past but I can't change them so I let them go. I'm accountable for what my hand delivers to my mail today. I'm accountable for every step I take, I having good posture, for how I engage with people around me and how I handle experiences. That should keep me occupied!
  • lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Okay - so much for using the microphone to type my reply! It was 'when' I hate myself...'for' unhealthy decisions...' mouth' not mail (geez!)
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree with so many people here. We have a tendency to do things mindlessly. Some people have disciplined themselves to be focused with their food and exercise. Others have tried to make it as easy as possible which seems to work with only some while others are left wondering why they are not doing well. It could be that there are those of us who need the daily discipline, period.

I am willing to bet that while you want to lose the weight or be a certain shape or fitness level, you've not disciplined yourself to make it a reality. You've said as much so I'm certain I'm not saying anything out of context. But, by the same token we have a food culture. It presents relationships and experiences around....food! Watch any television show and count how many times they are eating. We have food television networks. There are hundreds of "fast" food places as well as restaurants, specialty food stores, and more. We hear of someone who enjoys a biscotti and tea in the evenings and they look trim and healthy, and we believe we can do that as well. But, maybe we can't stop at one, or we add too much sugar to our tea, or we, unlike they, are unable metabolically to handle the extra calories and gain weight. We are active, but are not working out; or, we work out too much and obsess over our various body parts.

Here's the thing: Set a goal and then think about a game plan to get there. Next, decide what you will "do" once you reach that goal. Then, set a new goal. I believe it's the stopping point that is sabotaging us. We have one idea, and then we simply stop.

Maybe say when I get to X size or X weight, I'll cut my hair or get this one outfit; maybe you'll hit that one restaurant that you've been wanting to visit and have a truly lingering meal with your significant other. Maybe the next goal can be to train for a 5K or a particular event. Set your sights on that goal. Set a new goal....and so on.

I'd like this spring and summer to be one where I feel confident in a swim suit for the first time in 20 years. Just sayin'...and I know that I'll set a NEW goal to drop MORE weight, and get into BETTER shape so that summer of 2017 I'll be even MORE confident.

I hope you find your motivation :) We are here to help and share in the journey. That is why this is the "motivation" thread :)
  • kathymc62
    Options
    I really appreciated every bodies response. I am kind of new at the community site so I am not sure how to response to each reply. Thanks again.
  • mnalsa83
    mnalsa83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been there.... years ago I joined and got to my goal weight at 131. MFP really helped and then I got pregnant with my second (now 8 yo) after having her I couldn't get back down. I felt stuck in the 150's. I slacked in 2012 and got to my heaviest at 178. I tend to yo-yo .... do good and tend to bail on MFP & myself. I haven't broken 145 in years. Now back in the mid 150's... and really want to break this nasty cycle. I've been good for 2 weeks of logging and have a coworker who is accountable for me. We check in everyday. The more support, the better. Feel free to add me... let us be accountable for pushing each other to log and reach our goals.