Motivation... What do you do?

Options
I exercise for about a week or two at a time and then I just don't feel like working out anymore don't have the motivation! What do you do to stay motivated. Especially for someone who doesn't go to the gym. Does exercises at home.?

Replies

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was setting smaller goals for myself regarding exercise, until exercise became a habit (takes 3-4 weeks to form a habit). So, instead of going all in and going to the gym or exercising every single day for a week or two until I inevitably burned out (which happened in previous attempts), I set a goal to walk 30 minutes at least 3 days per week. After a few weeks I added running into my routine, and made a goal to run 3 times per week, and walk at least 30 minutes a day on the days I didn't run. I've been doing that for about 2 months now, and it has really stuck. I also rarely go to the gym, pretty much just go for strength training 1-2 times per week, usually on the weekends when I have more time. All my walking and running is done outside.

Perhaps starting with mini-goals would work for you as well. Now that I've developed a habit of exercising, it's difficult to imagine not exercising, even if it isn't strenuous. If the weather is bad and I can't walk or run outside, I try to do some indoor walking or running videos on YouTube to make sure I get some exercise in. YouTube and Fitness Blender have so many at home workouts.

If you need external motivation, perhaps a Fitbit or other activity tracker would help you. Some people find the goal of 10,000 steps per day really motivating.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Every so often I will take a week off from formal exercising. I return to exercise every time because "absence makes the body grow fonder" - at least for me. I miss working out too much not to do it, but there's no harm in taking a short break.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it's easy actually. I like food. I like eating more. Exercising lets me eat more. It's all the motivation I need.

I'd say though... find something you enjoy. Or at least tolerate. I don't tend to stick to regular exercise routines and weight lifting bores me to death, but I like walking, so I do a lot of walking (I used to walk outside, but the treadmills at the gym have Solitaire now, which I spent hours playing as a kid, so I get to play while walking, it's great). And I like watching TV too, so I got an exercise bike, and now I only watch my shows when on the bike... so I do a lot of bike. I'd just sit on the couch otherwise, so it's time well spent.

Honestly though, it does become a habit, at least it did for me. Now I can't stand staying at home not doing anything anymore, so often I'll just go to the gym during the week end anyway.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home, what keeps me motivated? Honestly, look so much better naked. That's what gets me up at 5 am to go down in my basement and do my thang!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i didnt want to be fat anymore.

that was my motivation.

when you decide you truly want something, that's really all it takes.....

ps you might find you actually LIKE exercise if you keep at it and stop giving it up. I love my gym and runs and 2 years ago i would have laughed you out of the state had you told me id feel that way some day.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think first and foremost, start looking at regular exercise as just another part of your life...just something you do...like going to work or cleaning the house or doing the yard work...these things need doing, so you do them...regular exercise is no different. Stop looking at it as this extracurricular type of activity and start looking at it as another daily obligation.

Secondly, find exercise that you for the most part enjoy doing...Personally, I'd go insane doing DVDs or droning away on cardio equipment at the gym all of the time...there's no way I could get myself up to do that day in and day out...I enjoy cycling and I enjoy weight lifting, so while I may not be 100% motivated all of the time, I do more or less enjoy these activities. To that end, motivation is a fleeting emotion...take the emotion out of it and just do.

Thirdly, make sure you're not trying to do too much too fast and burning yourself out...the path to fitness and wellness is usually one of baby steps. Also make sure you're taking appropriate days off for rest and recovery...go earn those days...you don't have to, nor should you really train 7 days per week. I think this is actually a huge issue for many...they think they need to go from basically doing nothing to training balls out every day of the week, and that's a recipe for failure.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I found a program that finally made me want to do it for longer than 3 weeks. Each session built on the previous, so I kept at it. In the process I lost weight, got stronger, and revealed some muscle. I looked better and felt better. That's what keeps me going. I'm not motivated every day, but I am disciplined.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    What it will take to motivate you depends on you. Identify your weak areas, and work on those.

Personally: I use an app called Pact. (US based, not sure if its available anywhere else.) Users commit to healthy activities. Like I commit to doing 7 days of activity, logging my food daily, and 28 fruits/veggies a week. A day of activity can be 10,000 steps w/ a connected tracker or 30+ minutes with an app like MapMyWalk or similar. Fruits/veggies need to be uploaded by image, and users vote yes or no if it counts as a serving. It connects with MFP, and a day of logging needs to be at least 1200 cals over 3 meal groups. (So breakfast/lunch/dinner or snacks/lunch/dinner would work.)

The way the app works: you commit to your weekly activities. If you miss, you are penalized by $. When you make your commitments, you share $ from those who did not. I am highly motivated to avoid a penalty! I've never paid, and I make a few dollars a week.

Note: you don't have to use all 3 areas. You could for example skip fruits/veggies, commit to 5 days/week food logging and 3 days/week activity. The max is 7 logging days, 7 days activity (so can't get credit for 10k steps AND a 30 minute MapMyWalk workout in the same day), and 5 fruits/veggies per day. Week ends on Sunday.
    I exercise for about a week or two at a time and then I just don't feel like working out anymore don't have the motivation! What do you do to stay motivated. Especially for someone who doesn't go to the gym. Does exercises at home.?

• adamgheli
    adamgheli Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ...Stop looking at it as this extracurricular type of activity...

...take the emotion out of it and just do....

...they think they need to go from basically doing nothing to training balls out every day of the week...

This Is It! You just made my day brother. This is spot on with what I usually do wrong. Ty
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do nothing. As in, I literally just blow it off for a few days. Take a break. Usually after a couple of days I'm ready to get back at it.

Sometimes I switch to a different exercise routine.

Sometimes I just suck it up and hate every minute of it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    i didnt want to be fat anymore.

that was my motivation.

when you decide you truly want something, that's really all it takes.....

ps you might find you actually LIKE exercise if you keep at it and stop giving it up. I love my gym and runs and 2 years ago i would have laughed you out of the state had you told me id feel that way some day.....

This is the bottom line, honestly.

I see so many posts on MFP every day about people who want help or advice because they keep eating cookies or whatnot and self-sabotaging... but the bottom line is that you have to want it badly enough.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you are unhappy with your size/weight, then make it so you cannot forget that motivator. Put a picture (of yourself) you don't like as your phone background, computer background, etc.
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I read this book.
    "Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard"

This is a paragraph from the authors at the Amazon book store:
    "Why is it so hard to make lasting changes in our companies, in our communities, and in our own lives?

The primary obstacle is a conflict that’s built into our brains, say Chip and Dan Heath, authors of the critically acclaimed bestseller Made to Stick. Psychologists have discovered that our minds are ruled by two different systems—the rational mind and the emotional mind—that compete for control. The rational mind wants a great beach body; the emotional mind wants that Oreo cookie. The rational mind wants to change something at work; the emotional mind loves the comfort of the existing routine. This tension can doom a change effort—but if it is overcome, change can come quickly."

After reading the book I'm more conscious about which side of my mind is talking to me which makes it a little easier to ignore the voices that say 'take it easy'.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    What do I do to stay motivated?

I look in the mirror naked, staring at the fat rolls.

I overbalance and have to suddenly place all my weight over one leg.

I stare at the tracings on the ice where my loop jump has barely jumped.

Motivation comes from within, and if you want it bad enough, you'll find it everywhere in your life.
  • SarahR0811
    SarahR0811 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I Crossfit so I love my exercise. I'd do it if I never lost another pound. But that also keeps me motivated. I still have about 100 lbs to lose but that's not the only goal. It's most important but I have a gazillion Crossfit goals which keep me going. I want to lift heavier, run faster, be stronger in addition to smaller. That's where my motivation comes in, my weight holds me back from being better and so many other things I want to do. Life has sucked at my size for so long - at least doing something about it gives me the power back
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I find that exercising, either with a trainer or friends helps. Its motivating knowing that you are meeting with someone because its more fun and you don't want to cancel on them all the time. With my last trainer, I only cancelled when I was sick.
  • trumpetsarecool
    trumpetsarecool Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Make a motivation board with quotes and pictures from Pinterest. Then make a goal; say you want to lose 10 pounds by April. If you make that goal, reward yourself with something nice like a shopping trip. I am actually doing a diet bet with my parents. Whoever loses 10% of their body fat by April wins $60. The winner can choose to keep the money or put it back in the pot. If they put it back, whoever loses the most inches and weight by June gets $240. You could do this with friends or family or you can actually go online and join a legit diet bet! Good luck!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing.

I love cycling. I miss it on days when I don't ride.

I like walking too. If I can't cycle, I'll walk.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    You don't wait for the motivation because it's going to fall off. It never gets easier. You just push yourself, keep going, make the decision, and when you see incredible results, awesome!