Random intriguing thought for my mind.

Options
I was listening to the radio and I heard the comment, "If death is so easy and Life is so hard why are people so afraid of death?" So I pondered it for a minute and I came up with this. I notice that people live theri life so hard and there have been people that choose to end their life earlier than what it was supposed to but I believe its hope for a better future that keeps people fighting for life, even when death is so easy.

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I say instinct. All living organisms are alive for the purpose of living. An ant doesn't ask itself why it's alive, but it goes about its business with the biological drive to keep living. Creatures that don't have that 'zest for life' don't survive to reproduce, and thus those born with issues such as depression (which has parallels in some animal species) have less success passing on their genes.
  • AricAngel
    AricAngel Posts: 21
    Options
    Instinct is good. I like that. I didnt think in bug terms. Instinct is very literal. To me its a closed minded way of saying that everything has a purpose and thats it. Not everything has a purpose unless we give it purpose. A rock has a purpose when its been given. Ants have purpose also. For a mind that is free thinking and has a plethera of emotions then its more than just instinct.
  • texasladysv
    texasladysv Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    like this philosophy stuff... very interesting...

I've pondered things like this before... havent' really been in that "thinking place" in awhile...
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I was listening to the radio and I heard the comment, "If death is so easy and Life is so hard why are people so afraid of death?"
    Quit listening to NPR.
  • AricAngel
    Options
    Well I like thougth provoking subjects and things that make me wan to have a deep conversation. It gets boring when all you do is say "hey hows your day", "Whats New?", I like being out of the ordinary and talking about cool stuff as long as it doesnt get out of control and people get butt hurt.
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    People are afraid of death because they don't understand or know what's beyond it. Whether they believe in Heaven or Hell I think people are scared of the "what-if's".
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well I like thougth provoking subjects and things that make me wan to have a deep conversation. It gets boring when all you do is say "hey hows your day", "Whats New?", I like being out of the ordinary and talking about cool stuff as long as it doesnt get out of control and people get butt hurt.

I think it's awesome to talk about things out of the norm. Anymore you try to have a conversation about politics/religion or anything with diverse opinions you're bound to get your head bit off! A lot of my beliefs/thoughts on things stem from my religious beliefs. No for thos who are wondering I'm not part of some cultic sect LOL I'm a non-denominational Christian. I think if you have nothing nice to respond to someones convo spark then click the "back" button and don't respond.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Instinct is good. I like that. I didnt think in bug terms. Instinct is very literal. To me its a closed minded way of saying that everything has a purpose and thats it. Not everything has a purpose unless we give it purpose. A rock has a purpose when its been given. Ants have purpose also. For a mind that is free thinking and has a plethera of emotions then its more than just instinct.

I agree in many respects. Concepts like "purpose" and "meaning" are intellectual constructs created my man to try and make sense of what seems to be a chaotic and brutal environment.

Many people seem seduced by determinism (in other words are paths in life are set by pre programmed evolutionary imperatives - the prime one being to survive as long as possible and pass on genes to ensure future propagation) However, it completely ignores the ability of individuals to outstrip their nature and genetic coding and outride their "destiny" - the whole nature v nurture argument.

Determinism is also an essentially bleak doctrine. Wouldn't it be a horrific reality to believe that no matter how hard you tried you could never rise up above hardship and suffering because that simply was your fate. It goes against the concept of a meritocracy which we are striving for here in the UK at least.

I think on many levels a life with hopes and dreams is the perfect counterpoint to a life rules by fear which makes death seem more attractive. The pursuit of happiness and the common good makes us understand that life really is a gift we are lucky to have and is better not wasted.

"Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be.
    And whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life,
    keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."
    Max Ehrmann - Desiderata
  • AricAngel
    Options
    I also have a belief and I dont like to preach to people or to push them away because its not about words or being Labeled as a "Christian." I hate the christian label becuase so many people have perverted the meaning and when you walk up to sombody that committed a murder and they say I am a christian that makes others not want to be one. I try to let my actuions be who i am and let people see what I believe through my actions.

msf74- Wow that was amazing you hit it right on. But you know when people are conditioned to life theri life in some aspect when the greatter good is very harmful. Look at some of the religious zealouts that think that killing hundreds of people in the name of thier belief is for the greater good when to others it is not the greater good. Its like falling on a double edged sword. In my own words Death is the end result of life when your job on earth is done.