Need help with cravings (Pizza & wings)

Options
I am new to MFP in regards to using the community forums. I have been losing weight but now I am stuck and have been for a couple of months. I need to lose 40 pounds to help me with a degenerative disc problem. Any real advise or tips that have helped your craving issues would be appreciated, please add me as a friend to see my dieting.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I eat the foods that I crave, either as a cheat meal once every other week or so, or include them in a small amount into my calorie goal.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are really craving something, work it into your daily calories. For example, I really, really wanted a good burger. So this weekend I skipped breakfast on Saturday and had a giant burger for lunch. Fries don't matter as much to me, so I got a salad on the side. I also wanted pizza last week, so I worked that in (a couple of times, actually). If you absolutely can't work it in, eat it, track it, and move on. You aren't going to be perfect all of the time, and that's ok. This is a lifestyle, not a diet, so you need to have treats sometimes!
  • saraosullivan
    saraosullivan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to take the foods I love and find a way to cook it so it is healthier!

For wings cravings, I buy Frank's Red Hot Buffalo wing sauce and put it on chicken breasts! All the flavour with way less calories. I cut the chicken breast in slices and toss it in breadcrumbs and then add the buffalo wing sauce before baking. For pizza, take a whole wheat flatbread and make a homemade pizza, just go easy on the cheese and heavy on the veggie toppings (mushrooms, peppers, etc.)
  • Tinawood40
    Tinawood40 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Homemade pizza is the way to go. You control the calories and the sodium is soooo much better. A lot of stores sell homemade dough now - makes it easy - just top it and bake.
  • BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I crave wings all the time too. But I did find something low calorie that satisfies my craving and its so good!! I make a buffalo chicken salad. Basically lots of crisp lettuce, onions, and then I grill chicken breast and chop it up and toss it in wing sauce. Then put on the lettuce with some blue cheese crumbles. No dressing. The wing sauce in the chicken keeps enough to where you don't need dressing and its so delicious.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have pizza about once per month. I exercise more that day. I eat 3 pieces and my fiance, who is a lot bigger than me, gets the other five pieces. We have a big salad with this. I chew slowly, savoring every bite.

I have a hard time when his brother and his family is in town and we have pizza night because they get double the amount of pizza needed for one meal, and it's a long meal, and its hard to not keep eating.

You can see if this Buffalo Chicken Soup scratches your yen for wings: http://fastpaleo.com/recipe/paleo-buffalo-chicken-soup/
  • leshle11
    leshle11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The best thing for me is reminding myself that no matter what food I am eating the first bite, the last bite, and all the bites inbetween taste the same. Therefor I reason that why not just have 1 (and i mean ONE) bite of that craving food. Then seriously throw the rest away or give it to someone else. And remember it doesnt matter that you only had 1 bite of that food instead of 13 bites of that food. They would all be just as delicious as the next and sooner or later it would be gone. So have that ONE perfect bite, enjoy all the flavors, all the textures that you love. And be done with it. Just be done. Pretend that was your last bite. Pretend the food is gone. Move on!
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I get my pizza from Pizza Hut (I know not everyone likes their pizza). The thin and crispy crust runs me from 220-250 calories a slice, and I'll generally have two slices. I limit it to one meat topping and generally have a veggie or fruit topping as well (I'd throw more veggies on, but I'm cheap and get the two pizzas for $6.99 each deal). My favorite combos are sausage and mushrooms with alfredo sauce, honey Sriracha crust, and balsamic drizzle 250 calories per slice and salami and pineapple with honey Sriracha sauce, garlic crust, and balsamic drizzle. Is it the best thing I could eat, no, but it fits into my calorie goal and satisfies my craving for pizza.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Those are two of my favourite foods as well! I find it hard to walk past chicken wings especially.
  • mallyboo3533
    mallyboo3533 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I through chicken breasts in the slow cooker with Frank's buffalo wing sauce and eat it by itself or on lettuce . So tasty
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Bake your chix wings then toss in hot sauce or spicy salsa buffalo sauce is way too sugary and you can get whole grain pizza dough use canned tomatoes skim milk mozzarella cheese and mushrooms or peppers onions or turkey sausage to top it
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Plan your day around it. If you have small breakfast and lunch you will most likely be able to fit in some pizza or wings. If you feel the amount is not enough to satisfy you for the calories you can always have a large salad or some broth based soup with them to bulk up the meal.
  • lsutiger2112
    lsutiger2112 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Isn't it Pizza Hut that does the Skinny Pizza? It's still pizza, but everything is cut back. Thin crust, half the sauce, half the cheese, and half the toppings that they would normally use. Actually, it's a different sauce too as I recall. I had a slice a few weeks back and I actually thought it was pretty good.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    mmm buffalo chicken pizza with blue cheese crumbles
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make them fit. Not a whole pizza, but a couple slices of cheese pizza (or I make my own), and baked wings work too...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Good advice above! Another tip is go to a pizzeria (or Costco) and have a slice. If you don't have a whole pizza around it helps to not overeat.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    When i crave wings but dont have the calories left for real wings....i steam a bag of cauliflower and top it with buffalo sauce from tgmhe dollar tree (its zero cal), and mix in a serving of light ranch.

For pizza cravings, i pound a chicken breast very thin. Saute it in a half cup of pasta sauce, top with pepperoni, green pepper and black olives, and 1/4c shredded cheese. Yum!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I try to make it fit by eating less earlier in the day and/or exercising to have extra calories. Or most likely, I eat the pizza and wings and enjoy it - I'll go over my daily calories, BUT... I know it's only one meal, and that one meal won't make me regain ALL of my weight back. I go back to eating my deficit the next day. Whatever lbs. I "gain" overnight is water weight and will go away as I keep eating at my deficit. :)
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    THIS SOUNDS DELICIOUS! THANK YOU

I crave wings all the time too. But I did find something low calorie that satisfies my craving and its so good!! I make a buffalo chicken salad. Basically lots of crisp lettuce, onions, and then I grill chicken breast and chop it up and toss it in wing sauce. Then put on the lettuce with some blue cheese crumbles. No dressing. The wing sauce in the chicken keeps enough to where you don't need dressing and its so delicious.

• michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Tinawood40 wrote: »
    Homemade pizza is the way to go. You control the calories and the sodium is soooo much better. A lot of stores sell homemade dough now - makes it easy - just top it and bake.

I make buffalo chicken pizza that is the bomb and it knocks out both of these cravings at once! i'll hook you up with the recipe if you'd like it :)