My First 10k! Tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself. The tendency is for pre-race adrenaline to kick in and you start out with a burst...which can come back to bite you in the last half of the race. Resist the urge and try to stick with your normal pace. Good luck!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    lilgrace15 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help you guys! Tomorrow is the day! I have been away from running most of this week and I can't wait to get out there tomorrow. The rest was a good idea. I miss it! I'm gonna eat like I normally do and wear things that I feel comfortable in. Nothing that I'm unsure about. The weather is suppose to be in the 60s. Perfect!

Go kick some butt tomorrow, @lilgrace15 !! And report back here after you do.

• lilgrace15
    lilgrace15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 will do!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your race and remember to smile for the camera.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Good luck and have fun!
  • lilgrace15
    lilgrace15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The 10k turned out really good! I ran with a friend, she needed to stop because of a sore hip and I didn't want to go on without her. We started and stopped more than i wanted to :/ I would be curious to see how I run on my own next time. The back of my ankle really started hurting on mile 5 (a pain I haven't felt before) I tried running a little on the treadmill today and the pain came back. I'll just to rest it some but all I want to do is run more!
  • BruinsGal_91
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, definitely give that ankle a bit of a rest, but I'm sure you'll be back up and running pretty soon.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I have my first 10K on the 7th and really looking forward to it. Though I slightly pulled a thigh muscle and can't do training runs (argh, really frustrating!). About 700 people are expected at my race. I normally find it difficult to stay at my speed when another runner is around, but lets see how things go.

I normally need about 5 minutes of fast walking for a warmup as my lungs go tight if I run immediately, even if it's slow. What would you do in that case? Walk the first 5 minutes of the race or try and find a space for walking around before the race and hope it begins on time?

What do you do with the starting number? I need to pin it to my chest. Which basically means that if things get too warm I cannot open my jacket :/

I used to have problems with maintaining my own pace when I was around other runners, but I finally learned to just set my own pace and maintain it. You don't know anything about the other runners that you are trying to keep up with. They could be capable of running a time that you don't even bother to dream of, or they could be caught up in the moment and take off way to fast and will feel like they are dying by the half way point. If you try to keep up with others then you might fall apart during the second half of the race and the experience will not be fun.

As far as warming up you can walk around off the back of the group at the start line or you can walk out on the first part of the course before the race. There will be other runners jogging on the course or around the area of the start line, so you won't be out of place. Since you have an injury it would probably be a good idea to warm up before the race and to start out the race walking or slower than you normally go, so that you can be sure that your thigh is thoroughly warmed up. You can always speed up later during the race, if you are feeling good.

Most races aren't to particular about where you pin your number as long as it is on the front. So you can try pinning it your shorts/tights, to the bottom of your shirt (so that it hangs out under your jacket), or pin it on one side of your jacket (so that you can unzip your jacket). I usually pin mine to my shorts. Be prepared, occasionally you have people helping out at races who are not runners and insist that it has to be pinned to the front of your shirt/jacket. Just nod your head, agree that you will move it, then fade into the middle of the crowd.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot trswallow :smile: The start is about 7 minutes stiff walking from my flat, thus that's already part of my warmup I guess.

My thigh is fine again at least. Can't wait. Now I'm mainly hoping that the weather will be ok. It's been literally raining and storming for three months straight now with just a few ok-ish weather days inbetween. At the moment it looks like storm and rain *sigh*

Btw, does anyone know how those electronic time strips work? It's attached to my starting number. Does it start tracking the time once I cross a certain line, does it start tracking at a certain time, or does it only record the finish time? Asking because when I'm starting at the back of 700 people my run will be a bit longer and I would really like to get a time for 10k.

Oh, I also signed up for a 10 mile race two weeks later just for the sake of it. I'm not sure I'll be able to run that far, but it's got no cutoff time and worst case I'll walk the rest. Just curious how I'll do.
  • BruinsGal_91
    Options
    Thanks a lot trswallow :smile: The start is about 7 minutes stiff walking from my flat, thus that's already part of my warmup I guess.

My thigh is fine again at least. Can't wait. Now I'm mainly hoping that the weather will be ok. It's been literally raining and storming for three months straight now with just a few ok-ish weather days inbetween. At the moment it looks like storm and rain *sigh*

Btw, does anyone know how those electronic time strips work? It's attached to my starting number. Does it start tracking the time once I cross a certain line, does it start tracking at a certain time, or does it only record the finish time? Asking because when I'm starting at the back of 700 people my run will be a bit longer and I would really like to get a time for 10k.

Oh, I also signed up for a 10 mile race two weeks later just for the sake of it. I'm not sure I'll be able to run that far, but it's got no cutoff time and worst case I'll walk the rest. Just curious how I'll do.

It starts tracking when you cross the start line and stops tracking when you cross the finish line. So don't worry if you're at the back, you will still get a definite 10k time.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options

It starts tracking when you cross the start line and stops tracking when you cross the finish line. So don't worry if you're at the back, you will still get a definite 10k time.

Most larger events will have a timing strip at the start line, you will get a time from the start line to the finish line. You also usually will get a gun time, which is the time from when the starter pistol/horn goes off until you cross the finish line. For smaller events, sometimes they only have the strip at the finish line, in which case you will only get a gun time. Some events will also have strips out on the course so you might also get a split time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot, both of you. Basically I know now how those things work in general, but still don't know what will happen at this event. I guess I'll just ask around to see how this is done.
  • BruinsGal_91
    Options
    For my first half marathon, every runner was given an ankle bracelet which picked up when you crossed the start and finish lines, and you had to return this after the race. I was so knackered, I couldn't even bend down to remove the darn thing and one of the race officials had to take it off for me.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The day before or day of a race is not the time to try something new. Do whatever you do before training runs.