Lose gain, lose gain, then found success?

Options
I would like to know if any of you have lost and gained, lost weight again and gained again, and then finally found success? What worked for you and how did things finally become successful? Thank you!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Three decades of yo-yo do you?

I finally threw out every single thing I thought I knew, everything the mass media and diet schemes and celebs and friends and journey articles tell you ...no food restrictions, food Devils, food timing, superfoods, supplements

I focused on calories only ...weighed everything, logged everything accurately, double checking

Moved more in general, lunch walks, dog walks, nipping to the shops - walk no car

Started to work out - with weights, felt sore ..do it anyway...tried classes and didn't go if didn't enjoy ...kept it up 3 X a week until it became something I need to do

Kept to my calorie defecit across the week

Batch cook at weekend..eat to support my life and enjoyment ensure I get adequate protein and fats

Gradually built up my knowledge because I was interested ...learned from reading some amazing people on here who made me think, challenged my understanding, always brought it back to the science with sources...learned to avoid people who speak from "feels" or "belief systems" that cannot be substantiated

Learned about water weight and natural fluctuations

Trend trackers, fitness toys and delicious data and spreadsheets

53lbs lost in under a year, a year in maintenance ..I'm fitter, healthier and my body rocks ...and not just for a 48 year old mother of 2 ...it rocks in general :)
  • Vivian9785
    Vivian9785 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been a professional dieter most of my adult life lol! I went to weight watchers so much, I could have taught the classes. I knew how to do it, but I was never successful to the end.
    3 1/2 years ago, looking at turning 50, having raised 6 children, I finally got tired of being sick and tired!!
    I figured it was finally time for me! The children were mostly grown and I could be sad about empty nest or.... Get excited about MY LIFE!
    So..... With the help of my kids getting some music downloaded on my MP3 player ( I have since upgraded to an I phone) I started to walk, and enjoy my music. I started with short walks realizing I would need to walk back home. I didn't want to burn myself out so that I didn't look forward to walking the next day.
    For me, I needed to find what my trigger foods were. I found that most milk products( except Greek yogurt) and bread products bothered me. Causing bloat and discomfort by the end of the day. So I cut those out of my diet. And felt so much better!
    I made sure I ate three meals a day whether I wanted to or not. This was fairly new to me. I also ate at similar times every day. I wanted to teach my body what to expect! I have also included two or three snacks during the day. I also found it helpful to envision the size of my stomach when I ate. That seemed to help me for portion control. I focused on protein fruits vegetables mostly. Eating the protein will satiate you for longer periods of time. Also, the importance of water. I love coffee, but would not allow a cup of coffee until I drink two servings of water. That was one way to make sure I got my water in. Water and coffee are all that I drink.
    So, having put this in place, I walked 5 to 7 days a week, and ate what my body needed and not want my mouth wanted. In time, the cravings truly did go away and I was eating for health. Eat to live, instead of living to eat, so to speak! I worked up to 3 to 4 1/2 miles each walk.
    In one year, I lost 75 pounds! There was no help from any diet aids or over-the-counter drugs or I didn't even know My Fitness Pal existed! I can say I truly enjoyed the whole journey! One day at a time taking care of me! Weighing myself once a week same day and time.
    I got to my 28th wedding anniversary at same weight I was the day I get married :-) I am now in my third year of maintenance! I haven't strayed more than 6 pounds from my goal at any one time. I monitor and then start taking a closer look at my portions, and get right back to where I was :-)
    Make the mirror your friend! Look in it every day and know your body! In the beginning you use the mirror to change the reflection that you don't like. Through the process you use the mirror to recognize the changes that are happening and it feeds the energy and excitement for the journey! Also, dress The body that you are in. When we feel we look good we have a tendency to take better care of ourselves regardless what size that you are in. These things are something that I never put in place in my past struggles with weight loss! And I believe they were key this time! I will say it had great importance for me as I went from a size 18/20 to a size 8.
    Then, two years ago, I joined planet fitness. I spend about one hour three or four days a week there. I enjoy being a part of something bigger than just me. I find for me that exercising in a group setting with people who have similar goals and interests works better for me then exercising at home. Although, I didn't join the gym until after I had lost my weight. I just wanted to build some muscle as my doctor said it would help to protect my bones as I get older.
    Just enjoy the whole process! One day at a time. Small changes make a big difference. Slow and steady truly does win the race! ;)

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins in the late 90s and lost around 100 pounds, then gained it all back. I did WW back in 2007-2008 and lost 117 pounds, gained it all back. I started MFP last January, lost 155 pounds. I've been on maintenance since early September. I've gained a couple over the holidays, but I lost it again. I am currently wanting to cut a little so I can bulk up and build some muscles.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh yes. I'm 31 now but I've been up and down since I was 16. I was 120ish at 14 years old then ballooned up to 160 by 16 years old. I lost weight and got down to 140, then by 18 I was up to 190. Seeing that number on the scale shocked the hell out of me and I decided to do something about it. Within a year and a half, I got all the way down to 115 pounds. I stayed between 111 and 119 for a while and then in my senior year of college, I got back up to 140.

140 was my "Danger: You're about to get back to 190" weight that always shifted me into high gear and made me lose again. In the past two years, I went up to 141, down to 122, then back up to 139 without really paying attention to my calorie intake. This past summer, I decided to take control of it all. I've used MFP years ago, but I stupidly didn't realize that it truly is all about the math of the calorie. That made this so much easier this time around. Now I'm 113 pounds and I do not intend to and will not gain weight the back ever again.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I believe I have found success. I am maintaining my weight - for the first time in my life; now it's been over 15 months - quite effortlessly, not entirely, but quite.

I had to be "force fed" as a child, I didn't really care for food, and eating interrupted my activities. Through adolescence and into adulthood, I never thought about adjusting portions to suit my more sedentary and grown body. I was always perplexed by how little other people ate, but I didn't connect that with me being a bit heavier than I liked, and I believed I had to eat that much, because I could. I was also convinced that that was my "natural" weight. Yeah, I know - now.

Eating a bit too much wouldn't have been such a big deal if what I ate, hadn't changed into more and more junk. But the calorie density, coupled with lack of nutrition, and the cravings it created, was a downward spiral, as my weight went up. All I wanted was to stuff myself with more and more, cookies, chips, chocolate, candy, ice cream... everything.

The situation was aggravated by bad advice. It makes me sad and angry that the bad advice in my case didn't just come from woman's magazines or ads for supplements, but from the government. I live in Norway, but we have much of the same recommendations as you, including low fat and high fiber. My mother had bought that, and I did too. I believed that fat was just empty calories at first, then I learned that fat caused heart disease, cancer and diabetes. I didn't want any of that, so I tried as best as I could to stick to it. But I couldn't. I need taste, and low fat/high fiber is tasteless to me. It didn't occur to me to look at alternatives, because I thought I knew what I needed to know about nutrition - the problem was that I was just well informed about the government's nutritional guidelines. I didn't dare to challenge that on purpuse, but I turned to junk because I desperately needed some flavor. I felt so miserable, because of my poor diet, and because I couldn't do what I wanted to do and believed to be important.

In 2006, I figured I needed to lose some weight - around 40 pounds, to get to a healthy weight and be able to fit into normal clothes sizes. I followed a regime very close to the government guidelines, and it worked, I lost the weight I wanted, exercised, and was happy. But then life came. Ice cream? NO! I don't want any of that! Why are you tempting me! OK, give me. You don't want the rest of yours? I'll take it! Oh - chips! Yum!

2013, and now I had 45 pounds to lose. I started the same regime again, lost some weight, was happy. But I also started reading up on nutrition, psychology, marketing, food manufacturing, physiology, sociology. I found MFP, used the tools, worked on changing my attitudes and habits, started to think and eat and move like a slim person. The freedom and accountability MFP offered, was so liberating. Reading about what other people had figured out, made me understand more about myself. I started to learn what really worked for me, and what didn't. I experimented with different macro splits. Taught myself some strategies. Tried new foods.

My "food rules" are completely different now. They are mine, not imposed on me by others. I like them. They work. I want to follow them. They give me the structure I need, but are not so strict that they crumble if I can't follow tham all the time. Some of them:
    Four meals a day, no eating beteen meals.
    Drinks are water, black tea and coffee.
    A meal has as a minimum vegetables, protein and fat (preferably a naturally fatty source of protein). Then fill up on starch. Dinner is starch, protein, veg, or soup+dessert. Fruit for every meal except dinner (unless as dessert). A serving of nuts every day.
    I cook most of my meals from scratch. I only eat what I like. I eat normal food.
    I aim for variety and avoiding waste. I meal plan so that I can have both.
    I eat anything I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time.
    Food should taste good, but not too good.
    Mainly choose food that makes me feel full after I've eaten, not even more hungry.
    I'm supposed to feel hungry before I eat. (That even makes eating more enjoyable.)
    Full doesn't mean stuffed, but pleasantly satisfied.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Many true and useful things here. Bumping back up for the day.
  • gilldunkley
    gilldunkley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Been up and down over the years - blips generally caused by pregnancies. It was child number three that did it for me and the fat just didn't want to come off after his arrival. I tried everything......IF, Atkins, Paleo, Calorie Counting, Exante shake diet and so the list goes on.

The only thing that is really working for me is IIFYM and exercise (good clean eating and lifting heavy!). I am eating more food than I have in the last 18 months and doing LESS cardio than I have in the last 18 months and the fat is coming off! It's a lot of weighing, measuring, pre-planning, recording everything that goes in my chops but it is working.