126 lbs lost, 74 lbs to go

Options

Replies

• sachigirl1
    sachigirl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Sara on your amazing weightloss and your new mindset! Well done!
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Wow! Awesome job!!!
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    [url="[url=http://imgur.com/alBCIWT][img]http://i.imgur.com/alBCIWT.jpg[/img][/url]"][/url]alBCIWT.jpg

Hello there! My name is Sara- thank you for taking the time to read this post. It means a lot to me, after all that I have thought of posting, and all the courage it takes to really lay yourself bare.

I hope this works... I'm a total novice with posting photos in message boards like this. I've always read the success stories here- they've kept me coming back throughout the years in my lowest moments, and the inspiration they have provided me with to keep going has been invaluable in my personal development.. in my journey.
    I've posted once or twice before, so here is an update.
    This is me, starting at my highest weight of 331 lbs. For me that was shameful, guilt ridden, rock bottom, holy cow how the h-e-double hockey sticks how did I get here. Too many meals of convenience through the fast food window. Too many times I stuffed my face when I felt lonely, sad, tired, and all around depressed. I ate when I felt happy. I ate when I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. And I ate when I crawled into bed for days on end and the only part of me that came out of the covers was a hand reaching into the fast food bag.

In February of 2015 I landed in my doctor's office, and I was in a dark place. I cried every day because I couldn't stand to look at myself. I couldn't stand to love myself and I couldn't stand the thought of anyone loving me. And I knew in that moment that I needed something different for my life. I was never meant to live that way. I told my doctor this was it for me. I had been given health advice so many times before. Starting when I was a pre-teen and all the way up through my teens and early adult hood. So many doctor's had told me what to do. I had read diet book after diet book. I was the go to girl on nutrition. I was an amazon fitness girl when it came to hard work outs. No one would believe a girl "my size" could work out that hard. Until I got bored with it and went for fast food.

February 11, that was different. I listened to everything my doctor had to tell me. I took it to heart. I went home, and I felt different. From that day forward, I cut soda and fast food out of my diet. Juice has only ever made an extremely minimal return- in the last nearly year, I have probably drank a juice a handful of times. I developed weird little tips and tricks to help myself get along. I never practiced denying myself anything, but I would think hard about whether or not it was truly worth it. I have found that I traded the bakeries and fast food places for deli's. I will go to the cold food section in the deli when I feel like something *different and I let myself get a scoop of anything I want.
    My daily diet is 80-90% clean. I live for fruits and veggies and nuts and seeds. And okay, cheese, too. This last year, I have totally loved eating cheese and cottage cheese. My favorite comfort food has been tomato soup with a stick of colby jack cheese and a few oyster clamshell crackers.

Losing weight is not only something that alters your physical reality. In fact, if you look at it only from a physical standpoint, chances are, you will fail. At least, if you are anything like me, you will.

When I changed my lifestyle habits, I couldn't eat my feelings anymore. That was hard. It was really hard. I felt things that I couldn't even quite identify at first- they had been smothered for so long in cheese cake and pizza and endless buffets of Chinese food. It hurt. I had to learn new coping skills to deal with my emotions. I had to learn skills I should have learned growing up, but I hadn't, for one reason or another.

I remember one day- in the photo above where I am in the dressing room, wearing the black shirt and the black skirt. I had a minor melt down. I was trying clothes on, you see- and that has always been so stressful for me. Trying to get clothes to fit. Trying to look "okay", "decent" and god forbid, maybe even "good". I was trying clothes on and realizing that even the smallest clothes from the "Women's" section weren't fitting right.. some were okay. But most were too big. I came to the conclusion that I... me... yes me... I had to go and pull clothes from the coveted "Ladies" section. I didn't even know where that section of the store was. When I began my weight loss journey I was in 3x shirts and 24 pants, or 2x pants. Either way, I had never ever had reason to shop in the Ladies section ever in my adult life. Once I found it, I pulled clothes from the largest of their section. And therein lay my conundrum. I realized most of the clothes from the Women's section were so big on me they made me look dumpy. And while some of the clothes from the Ladies section fit me.. mostly they were too clingy.. tight.. and I had the aforementioned mini meltdown.
    Now... I have cried many times in the dressing room over the years. But this was the first time ever in my life I had cried because clothes were too big.
    And really it was more than that- I had a lot to wrap my mind around. I realized I was losing my identity- I had always identified as being the big girl, the obese girl, the girl who needed to shop in the Women's section. And I needed to teach myself to identify as someone completely different.

It was like being freed from a prison.

Today, I am 204 lbs. This is a minor miracle to me. As I haven't been below 240 lbs since I was 18. I'm 27 now. I haven't been the weight I am now since I was 13 years old. I haven't been in the 100's in weight since I was 12 years old. This has been my life. I actually have told myself that.. all these years.. "this is just my life".
    Well. Now THIS is my life.

Braaaavvvvoooooo this is amazzzzing congrats girl keep it up you can do it never give up
  • stampnrobn
    stampnrobn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. I have just started my lifestyle change journey. I started at 360 lbs a couple weeks ago. I have lost 13 lbs ( most of what I am sure is water). So far my mind is in the right place but I know this will be a long journey and I will need support along the way. Your story and pictures let me know it's possible!
  • sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you, so much, everyone- it means the world to me to come in here and see this kind of support. I've worked through unbelievable life struggles this year, but everything feels like it's coming together - I know I just need to keep working hard and believing in myself. I truly want to help other people and make a difference and I know that because of where I've been, I'm going to be in a unique place to do that, so every tear and drop of sweat will have been worth it.
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration Sara, thanks for posting this.
  • Jilliankosto
    Jilliankosto Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Amazing story, inspirational! You look gorgeous!
  • sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Wow reading this literally gave me the chills but in a great way. I honestly could feel your struggle & wow I must say you are an incredible being! I too hated how I used to look when I was at my highest 250 & wow this such an inspirational post. I wish the best for you my love, I really do. keep doing wonderful things, your body will thank you with many many years of healthy living.
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    congrats!! very inspirational
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing story! Thank you for sharing!
  • smint2015
    smint2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Top job, well done, keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
  • journey2sugar
    journey2sugar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful story! It's so hard to share so much of yourself, so I applaud you for that. I am with you on trying to find new ways to deal with emotions, because I am right there with you! I sent you a friend request, hope that's alright, your story really moved me. Way to go, you look fantastic!
  • iggy211
    iggy211 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing your story. This is truly inspitrational
  • Jussilu
    Jussilu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow, Wow, Wow ...............You look great!! Congrats!
  • chrisilouhoo
    chrisilouhoo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Thank you so much for sharing with all of us - very motivating!
  • juicynsweet
    juicynsweet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your amazing! Thank you for sharing your story. Keep up all the hard work. Your so close to the finish line. You got this! ;)
  • sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Of course friend requests are okay! I didn't expect a response like this when I posted and it's really uplifted me- you all are super stars!
  • josephskop
    josephskop Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sara, you are awesome and you should be proud of your journey
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • makanacapellocullen
    Options
    You are a great inspiration
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!