How do you make yourself snack/eat more mindfully

I have been dealing with some minor health problems as of late (an injury on my hand got infected, got hives, time of the month, then I got a cold) and I am realizing just how important self care really is on this journey. I realized that not only do I go to food when I feel bad emotionally, I also do it when I feel bad health-wise. Especially when I have a headache. I woke up with a raging headache this AM and it took a lot of willpower to not eat my entire kitchen. I took 1 Aleve instead and now I feel much better! and my entire day has not yet been derailed.

I need to ask myself each time before I put calories in my mouth - why am I doing this, am I hungry? sad? in pain? and ask if the food will solve it. And do the best I can taking care of myself in an intelligent way rather than just shoving food in my face and hoping that will make it all better.

How do you guys do this? How do you remember to do it? It's practically an automatic habit/behavior for me and I'd like to figure out some way to make it conscious so I can make more conscious decisions.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Pay attention to your habits. This is going to seem really odd, but I have learned that if I unexpectedly leave work or class early, its like I get 'free time' and I think about picking up food from X or Y to eat, where no one will know. There is no logical reason for this - I'm an adult, I make my own food choices, and I typically fit what I want within my calorie limit. Maybe there is some enjoyment in feeling that I'm getting away with something? Anyhow, I've come to notice this tendency of mine, so I don't give in to it.

I've also formed a habit where I no longer eat from the bag/box/package. I take out what I'm going to have, and put the rest away. Once upon a time, I had a habit of mindless eating. I'd eat from a bag of chips while watching tv, for example. Didn't really get any enjoyment out of eating, was doing so more because the open bag was available than because I wanted or needed to eat.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited February 2016
    One of the things that I have found most helpful is to pre-log my snacks and meals for the day in the morning, and try to stick to that. I make better choices in the morning, but if I let after-work-me make my decisions for me, I'd never lose weight.

I also find it helpful to drink a lot of tea or water to keep my hands occupied, rather than reaching for a snack. This also helps keep me hydrated ^.^ Just staying occupied in general helps cut down on the opportunity I have to snack. If I'm always busy with an activity, I find it a lot harder to stuff my face.

I do also budget extra calories on the weekends to indulge in the snacks and desserts that I love to help minimize cravings mid-week.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    How do I do it? Practice. I've been practicing mindful eating for almost 2 years and it's a habit for me now. I put a sign on my fridge for over a year that said, "Why are you eating? What are you eating? Is it a problem food will actually correct?" If I didn't have good answers to those questions, I didn't eat. It took a lot of practice and I failed many, many times. I ended up removing snacky foods that are unhealthy for me from the house. If they're here, I'll snack. If I have to get up, get dressed and presentable, go to the store and spend cash (only cash) on that food, then I must really, really want it and that's ok. But if I don't want to go through all of that, I don't want the food, I want something it represents. So back to the 3 questions.

It's a process that becomes natural if you go through it enough. That doesn't mean I don't want something when I'm ill. It does mean I am forced to think and thinking usually leads me somewhere other than food.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    I had to eliminate certain trigger foods and not keep them in the house. I usually don't feel like pigging out on celery sticks. Lol. Over time, I've been able add some foods back and them not affect me the same way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    AceofIvies wrote: »
    How do you guys do this? How do you remember to do it? It's practically an automatic habit/behavior for me and I'd like to figure out some way to make it conscious so I can make more conscious decisions.

Journaling helped me. I'd make myself write a bit at the end of the day and be conscious of what was working, what wasn't, to understand when and why I'd gone off my plan. I also would try to write a bit when I was wanting to eat so as to be conscious of what was really going on.

It might make it easier if you made food a little less available or at least the kinds of foods you are likely to reach for without thinking.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I preplan my day. Typically I meal prep my breakfasts and lunch for the week. That way dinner is more flexible to make with my family. I keep healthy snacks around and try to keep junk to a minimum (usually my night snack). I think after doing this for a while it becomes second nature. You no longer crave the unhealthy foods because you see the results of eating well.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    wow great suggestions guys... I will
    * pre-log my days
    * try to save maybe 50 cals a day for a bangin' treat when I go out once during the wk - I think this will help that sweets craving in the PM too - I can have 50-100 cals of something 'okay' that night or save them for something really really worthwhile later, that saves a separate problem I've been having
    * Put signs on my fridge and cabinet doors
    * Think through how my day went when I go to sleep: what went well, what didn't, what would I have done differently if I could do it over again
    * I already have most junk out of the house but I am going to put the stuff I get tempted by behind more other better stuff. I have gotten into the habit of taking literal spoonfuls of honey into my mouth - it's downright awful, I am putting it on the top shelf where I need a stepstool to get it down.

I'm really glad I posted thanks everyone - and still listening if anyone else wants to chime in
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I always log it before I eat it to see if I have the calories for it (and still leave enough calories for the rest of the day). That's pretty much what keeps me on track.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    I sit at a desk 8 hours a day. It was SO easy to pick up fast food for breakfast on the way to work, and go out for lunch too. Three weeks ago, I changed that. I now keep a supply of healthy foods/snacks with me at work so I am prepared. Things like fruit, yogurt, nuts, etc. Planning is key for me...
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    OK I prelogged today, saving 75 cals for Sunday. I set up reminders on my phone to prelog the day, think about how my day went, and to save calories at the end of the day. I put the honey and chips way up high where I can't easily reach them. and I already printed out one sign for my kitchen and I'll do one or two more too. Thanks everyone
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    I've increased my water intake in a major way and I'm less likely to snack. I also don't get as many junk food "cravings" now
  • briggsykim
    briggsykim Posts: 75 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I always log it before I eat it to see if I have the calories for it (and still leave enough calories for the rest of the day). That's pretty much what keeps me on track.

Great tip
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I also log it before I eat, not in a very preplanned log everything the night before way but right before I eat it and never eat from the pack any more. I weigh out a serving of chips or take just two cookies from the pack and put the rest away. I generally can't be bothered with the faff of doing it again and so one serving serves its purpose.

I have also switched working out to become one of my biggest coping mechanisms. If I get nothing else done that day and it's not a rest day then I must get up, have my porridge/breakfast, cup of coffee and workout. Another coffee afterwards ensures the appetite suppressing benefit if working out (not a benefit everyone gets!) last even longer.

If I find I'm craving something or hungrier than usual for a few days I'll satisfy that craving within reason. It just seems to help reset the hunger, whether real or imagined.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    What everyone else already said - log it all at the beginning of the day. Also, working out early in the day (for me it is 6am, 6x per week) is helpful mentally. I "see" all of the extra calories that I *could have*, but I stick to what MFP has suggested (1300) and feel awesome when I'm done at the end of the day.

As an aside, I saw someone mention that 1200 was a poor starting place. I think it's an excellent starting place *shrugs* Everyone is different, and blanket statements like that can be discouraging.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    When I can, I avoid being around food that is inconsistent with my eating goals.