Beginner gym equipment schedule?

Options
Hi guys. I just joined a gym today. I've been a member of gyms before but never really got into it. I want to do it seriously this time. There are a lot of machines there I am not very familiar with.

Can someone point me to a good beginner's guide/ workout schedule?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    try and avoid the machines if possible, get a free weight program like stronglift 5x5 or new rules of lifting. Or even join some classes.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I started with Jamie Eason's Live Fit program. It will give you a schedule and provides video tutorials on all the basic lifts (and more). Great for beginners and free :)
  • time2cutnow
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    try and avoid the machines if possible, get a free weight program like stronglift 5x5 or new rules of lifting. Or even join some classes.

Why should she try and avoid machines? I agree some machines should be avoided, but there are also some great ones, especially for beginners.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I started with Jamie Eason's Live Fit program. It will give you a schedule and provides video tutorials on all the basic lifts (and more). Great for beginners and free :)

I did this program and hated it. There are tons of good programs out there.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You could try Stronglifts. Everything you need is online at stronglifts.com and you can download an app there that you can use to track your workout at the gym. Super easy! I love it!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

Why should she try and avoid machines? I agree some machines should be avoided, but there are also some great ones, especially for beginners.

Because in general large compound lifts are better than isolation exercises. Not only do you hit more major muscles in less time (keeping your workouts short), you also hit the stabilizer muscles.

Unless you have a specific reason to train a specific muscle there isn't much reason to use machines (ok, if they are the only thing available, then you have a good reason to use them).
  • lineyrower
    lineyrower Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Use the cardio machines (cross trainer, bike, treadmill) a couple of times a week. One session long and low rate (helps build endurance) Then do one session with some intervals or sprints.

As for weight machines I would steer clear. It is better to learn to do body weight exercises correctly and then introduce some light weights but only when you have good form. You can easily do a circuit of body weight stuff, including core that will work you pretty hard and build up some good strength.

Oh, and never go on a rowing machine in a gym or listen to a fitness instructor on how to use one. I row and 99% of people in gyms use them with bad technique and it has injury written all over it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

because people always get steered toward the machines and then they never set foot into free weight area and never even attempt a compound movement.

OP - I would suggest looking into strong lifts or all pro beginner routine, and then you can use some machines for accessory work like lat pulldowns, cable rows, iso lat row, etc....
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • time2cutnow
    Options

Because in general large compound lifts are better than isolation exercises. Not only do you hit more major muscles in less time (keeping your workouts short), you also hit the stabilizer muscles.

Unless you have a specific reason to train a specific muscle there isn't much reason to use machines (ok, if they are the only thing available, then you have a good reason to use them).

I don't think that's true. I always incorporate the leg press, cable row, assisted pull up, leg curl, etc machines. I also love free weights. To say to stay away from all machines is bad advice IMO
  • time2cutnow
    Options

I did this program and hated it. There are tons of good programs out there.

I stuck with it for like 3 weeks and never really followed it exactly. I started the program when I was completely new to lifting so I did find it great for the video tutorials.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I don't think that's true. I always incorporate the leg press, cable row, assisted pull up, leg curl, etc machines. I also love free weights. To say to stay away from all machines is bad advice IMO

Well, it is true. I don't think any seasoned lifter is going to tell you that a leg press is superior to a barbell back squat....

Leg press is a great accessory move, but if it is not a better movement than a barbell back squat.
  • time2cutnow
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Well, it is true. I don't think any seasoned lifter is going to tell you that a leg press is superior to a barbell back squat....

Leg press is a great accessory move, but if it is not a better movement than a barbell back squat.

I agree with that. The part I don't agree with is that machines will make you avoid the weight section completely. I'm not debating that free weights aren't better than machines. They are.

I'm only saying it's bad advice to tell someone to avoid machines completely, especially a beginner asking specifically for which machines to start with. Horrible advice actually.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I agree with that. The part I don't agree with is that machines will make you avoid the weight section completely. I'm not debating that free weights aren't better than machines. They are.

I'm only saying it's bad advice to tell someone to avoid machines completely, especially a beginner asking specifically for which machines to start with. Horrible advice actually.

Good thing that advice wasn't given, then.
  • time2cutnow
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Good thing that advice wasn't given, then.

"try and avoid the machines if possible" said the person I originally quoted and I asked why to avoid them completely then this person quoted me back and started giving his reasons. ;)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Nope - if possible != completely.

You made that leap.

Again, nobody has given that advice.
  • time2cutnow
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Nope - if possible != completely.

You made that leap.

Again, nobody has given that advice.

U srs?
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    larali1980, I use the strength training machines at Planet Fitness exclusively, (no free weights), and I have had good results towards meeting my objectives. I see many fit, strong, young people who use the equipment pretty exclusively. I myself got guidance from the Planet Fitness trainers, and others, including a 73 year old friend who has lifted for 40+ years (and continues to lift) and another who played college football. I ended up taking their input, and doing a hybrid of their recommendations and my own schedule of equipment/sets/reps. I believe that the key is to get some input from those who really know, and then to use it in a way that meets your needs. Doug in Akron

A question for all of us on this thread: Why is it that whenever anyone asks a question about strength training, particularly about equipment vs free weights, it seems to bring out the worst in people?
  • time2cutnow
    Options
    A question for all of us on this thread: Why is it that whenever anyone asks a question about strength training, particularly about equipment vs free weights, it seems to bring out the worst in people?

People tend to spread and accept bad advice pretty freely on this site. It's been that way for years.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would consider the free/body weight vs machines somewhat like nutrition. In general 80% of calories from nutrient dense food the other 20% from what you like. For most people, the majority of a workout should utilize free weight or bodyweight exercises. One of the limits of machines that wasn't mentioned was most of them take any core stabilization out of the movement as you are supported by a chair or bench.

Google images of the workout facilities of pro teams and major colleges. You will find them filled with equipment for free weight exercises and very few of the traditional Globo Gym weight machines. These organizations employ the best strength and conditioning people in the world, have millions invested in their athletes and can afford to have any type of equipment they want. They are choosing to emphasize free weights.