Best iPhone app to calculate calories burned?

Options
I'm looking for an app that will calculate my calories burned based on my weight and pace via GPS. I know that I usually walk about 3.5 mph, but when I tried Runtastic today it calculated my burn differently depending on whether I classified it as a walk or a run - even though the pace was the same - and that doesn't seem right to me.

Ultimately, I know that a HRM is going to be the best way, but until I can either find mine or get a new one, I'd like to utilize a phone app. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Any GPS tracking app to get your distance and then use the simple formula to get your net calories....

(Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles) for walking

(Body weight in pounds) x (0.63) x (Distance in miles) for running

Different movements so they have different exercise efficiency even for the same speed.
    With running you are accelerating your mass upwards as well as forwards.

And no a HRM would not be better at least for walking - you are likely to be at too low an intensity to get an accurate amount.

• TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Any GPS tracking app to get your distance and then use the simple formula to get your net calories....

(Body weight in pounds) x (0.30) x (Distance in miles) for walking

(Body weight in pounds) x (0.63) x (Distance in miles) for running

Different movements so they have different exercise efficiency even for the same speed.
    With running you are accelerating your mass upwards as well as forwards.

And no a HRM would not be better at least for walking - you are likely to be at too low an intensity to get an accurate amount.

Thank you for this information! That formula is great to know!