Suggestions for people who contantly need to chew stuff

Options
i_love_vinegar
i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
The most difficult part of losing weight for me is the constant urge to chew on stuff. The texture of gum gets boring. When I have steak/lamb chops (I don't eat pork), I like to gnaw on the bones -- I prefer chewing on bones to chewing gum.

Does anyone have any FOOD suggestions that require long bouts of gnawing?

Thank you!

Replies

• jiggyjoe
    jiggyjoe Posts: 1
    Options
    Try sunflower seeds.
  • oneonezerozerozero
    oneonezerozerozero Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much chewing you're going for, but celery at least has a nice crunch..same for carrots, cucumbers. Also maybe something like a fruit leather or some form of jerky? Those take a bit of chewing to eat, and also have a nice tug for taking off a piece... Good luck!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Celery, or other fresh (uncooked) veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower, even carrots.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Keep bones in a cooler to chew on.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky?
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Um, the bones thing is kinda weird.

I love crunching on ice. My fissure seals don't.

I also made sure my tongue-stud was placed as FAR back as possible so I'm not tempted to play with it.

I don't think your dental coverage is as comprehensive/cheap as mine though (through the military).
  • nascent
    nascent Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm the same way... raw carrots and celery work to some extent for me, but of course they are gone very quickly. My mother always told me not to chew ice. :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    My mother always told me not to chew ice. :)

Mine too. Oy I wish I'd listed
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Oops! double post.
  • lauralives
    Options
    Beef jerky
    It has 70-90 calories per serving and usually 1 or 2 grams of fat.
    I snack on it constantly while im watching tv and on my computer because those are the times I always go for something to snack on.

Also dried fruit is good...I'm not talking fruit chips im talking like pieces of dried apples or dried cranberries.
    I eat dried apples a lot because they are pretty chewy (I get dried apples from target that archer farms brand or whatever it is makes them)
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    seems to me that ANYTHING but bones would be a good choice considering the tooth damage potential???

baby carrots and raw almonds. love.

:flowerforyou: best wishes on your journey!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    ice
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Popcorn....air popped with no butter or salt added. I like the crunch and the whole 'hand to mouth' thing. I have a bad habit of eating while watching a movie or tv and this is my go to snack. I can eat a bunch without it causing too much caloric damage.