*HRM*-Should I get one?

Options
I've been seeing a lot of people talking about heart rate monitors. I can't help but wonder if it's something that I should get as well. I know the calorie burns on MFP aren't totally accurate, and I'd like to see how much I'm actually burning. I think this might give me a better perspective on what activity level I should be performing every day. What is everyone's perspective on this? And what kind do you suggest I get? Thanks for any help!

~Becki

Replies

• BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just bought mine Wednesday night and I LOVE IT!
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    what kind do you have?
  • MissMandy1010
    MissMandy1010 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of purchasing one, too. I think its a good thing. but Im interested in what others have to say.
  • KarenKiesel
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and I LOVE it. I have had it for a couple of years. I would recommend getting one.
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm thinking of getting one too...heard Polar makes really good ones, and the Cardio Trainer app on my phone can link up to it for calculations. How much was the F6 though? Not too sure what my budget should be.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Asking for one for my birthday :) want to know which one to drop hints for :wink:
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    Best thing ive ever bought. I have a Polar FT40
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i have a polar (? model), and i love it! it keeps me going. it tells me what my heart rate is, what my calories burned are, and how long i've been going for. it's waterproof, and awesome!
    it logs the last 14 workouts, and that encourages me to keep going to keep the graph at the same height!
    lots of people don't think they need one, but then they get one and LOVE them!
    but only get one if you're committed to keep going with exercise. otherwise it will be an expensive waste of money.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4... love, love, love!! Best fitness investment I've made. :)
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and I LOVE it. I have had it for a couple of years. I would recommend getting one.
    I also have the F6 and love it!! I don't know what I would do without it!! My calorie burn was way more with MFP on some exercises and way less on others. I know now what I am burning and what I should be eating =) Make sure the one you get has a chest strap. The Polar chest straps are very comfy and I hardly realize I have it on!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm thinking of getting one too...heard Polar makes really good ones, and the Cardio Trainer app on my phone can link up to it for calculations. How much was the F6 though? Not too sure what my budget should be.
    I got mine on ebay for 28 bucks =) I think they run around 80-100 normally!
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It was a must for me. I can tell as I get into better shape the numbers change for the same exercise. A monitor is particular to you- so the numbers are much more accurate- not exact but helpful. Lots of people here get Polars and like them. I got an inexpensive timex off amazon that shows cal. Burned. Not had a problem with mine. Played around with it vs machines- mine is more accurate for me as I said. Google monitors- there are some good sites to read.:)
  • BJC78
    Options
    what kind do you have?

I have the polar ft4. I love it!
  • BJC78
    Options
    Mine was on sale for 69.99
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, just getting used to it...so far so good. I Like it..But need to remember I have it before I start my work out..Paid $70 for mine.
  • lizzyheath09
    lizzyheath09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin GPS watch that I use when I run/ride. It has a HR monitor with it and I have only used it once, while lying in bed just to see how low my HR really gets (49bpm). Haha. I say if you can find an inexpensive one.. go for it if you want one.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I got the FT7 recently. I think it's a total no-brainer for those of us who are serious about losing weight. I can't believe I went without it as long as I did. Get it.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm most likely going to try and find one used since I'm kinda broke right now! But this helps a lot!
  • Kalamity2011
    Kalamity2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IMHO, HRM are excellent tools for athletes to assist in training. For typical weight lost or general health monitor, I think you might consider a digital blood pressure monitor with pulse. I think it is more valuable to see how your heart is working and not just when you are exercising. I am monitoring my BP twice a week. I get my A.M. resting just after I get up, am my P.M. active after I get home from work before prepping dinner.

U R your 1st line of defense in the game of life; play hard, play fair and play to win. Kate
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I just order my silver Polar FT4 online yesterday. it was on sale for 73.99.