Control Night-time binges?

Options
Hey all,

So, I lost roughly 30-35 lbs about two years ago. I did well controlling myself and have managed to keep that weight off. Currently, I'd like to lose about 10-15 lbs more, however I'm finding controlling myself and my calories incredibly hard. I'll do super well during the day, but then go and ruin it at night by eating up EVERYTHING. I don't gain more than 1-2 lbs (which is a miracle), but it's creating some bad eating habits that I really don't like. It makes my stomach feel terrible in the morning but I feel so out of control at night. Any suggestions?

PS- I am a varsity athlete and work out 5-6 times a week for 2-21/2 hours at a time. I factor these workouts into my caloric intake but I am always starving at night (or even if I'm not, I still eat everything any way).

Replies

• MorganLange508
    MorganLange508 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem! I've found that drinking teas or low calorie drinks at night help me think less about eating. I really enjoy peppermint tea or a chia latte mix that I have that's low calorie and super yummy
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    rather than fight it, why not make room in you calories for an evening snack?
  • hnoelleb12
    hnoelleb12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    rather than fight it, why not make room in you calories for an evening snack?

I do, but I often go over it. Self control is the issue here, I think. Thanks for the response :)
    I used to have the same problem! I've found that drinking teas or low calorie drinks at night help me think less about eating. I really enjoy peppermint tea or a chia latte mix that I have that's low calorie and super yummy

That's a good idea! It's hard when you have all that food in the fridge to convince yourself that you should do a drink instead. Any tips in that respect? thank you :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    hnoelleb12 wrote: »
    Hey all,

So, I lost roughly 30-35 lbs about two years ago. I did well controlling myself and have managed to keep that weight off. Currently, I'd like to lose about 10-15 lbs more, however I'm finding controlling myself and my calories incredibly hard. I'll do super well during the day, but then go and ruin it at night by eating up EVERYTHING. I don't gain more than 1-2 lbs (which is a miracle), but it's creating some bad eating habits that I really don't like. It makes my stomach feel terrible in the morning but I feel so out of control at night. Any suggestions?

PS- I am a varsity athlete and work out 5-6 times a week for 2-21/2 hours at a time. I factor these workouts into my caloric intake but I am always starving at night (or even if I'm not, I still eat everything any way).

With only 10-15 pounds left to lose, have you set your weekly weight loss goal to be 0.5 pounds? Any more could create too aggressive a deficit, which could trigger the night time over eating.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I've found drinking tea helps like Morgan said. If I still want to stuff my face after tea I've found brushing my teeth helps cause food tastes gross after and I'll have to re-brush. If all else fails I'll just go to bed if it's a decent hour
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Its taken me a while to figure out exactly how to help myself. I have the self control issue as well, it's not true hunger.

1. I stop eating at 8pm. To help, I clean the kitchen right after dinner and that "closes" the kitchen for business.
    2. I do plan for a yummy snack each day, and reserve it for about 7:30/7:45 so I can look forward to it and also recognize that this snack is the end. I often will say "this is my last food for today" and then afterwards I brush my teeth.
    3. I keep "busy" in front of the TV if we are watching something. I actually like to draw or paint, and I have a pile of Legos under the coffee table. Just pushing them together into arrangements or patterns is busy enough to keep me from boredom eating.
    4. I also try to drink tea, if I feel true hunger feelings. A big pot of something tasty is great, because I can go to bed with a full warm belly.
  • surbina83
    surbina83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Its taken me a while to figure out exactly how to help myself. I have the self control issue as well, it's not true hunger.

1. I stop eating at 8pm. To help, I clean the kitchen right after dinner and that "closes" the kitchen for business.
    2. I do plan for a yummy snack each day, and reserve it for about 7:30/7:45 so I can look forward to it and also recognize that this snack is the end. I often will say "this is my last food for today" and then afterwards I brush my teeth.
    3. I keep "busy" in front of the TV if we are watching something. I actually like to draw or paint, and I have a pile of Legos under the coffee table. Just pushing them together into arrangements or patterns is busy enough to keep me from boredom eating.
    4. I also try to drink tea, if I feel true hunger feelings. A big pot of something tasty is great, because I can go to bed with a full warm belly.

That's a great idea. I will do that from now on.