Strength training - breaks and nutrition

Options
I have been doing strength training for a few months now (maybe 4) following NROLFW. I have 2 questions...
What do I gain from taking breaks between stages? I just took my first one between stage 3 and 4. I had a bad fear of losing interest with taking a week off but the book recommends. I also find a week long break after doing 2.5 weeks of training a but excessive, am I wrong?
I have been keeping my calories a little lower than the book suggests, it would recommend somewhere around 1800 +. I am probably around 1500 averaged (I do have some poor habits but not terrible for anyone checking out my diary). Am I shooting myself in the foot by not consuming much?

A recent Dr appointment had me hearing I was 20lbs overweight (I am somewhere in the 150s) and eating too much. She also said I need to do more cardio, like 4 days a week. I train about 3 times a week doing the weights, curl and go for a weekly run. I have hardly lost any inches, my weight hasn't moved for the positive or negative, what am I doing wrong!?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Instead of a full break, you could do something slightly different or lighten the weights (called a deload). Most people in their first year of training can easily go a few months without taking a break. The more intense the program and the more experience you get with lifting, the more you'll need to deload. I personally think 12 weeks then a break is good for most people.

Doctors don't get a lot of nutrition and fat loss education. Many of them suggest mostly cardio and very low calorie diets to lose weight. It can be a good idea to do some cardio for a variety of reasons (it will help with lifting).

As for what you are "doing wrong" it's likely that your calorie counting is not accurate. Make sure you are weighing everything and logging accurately.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Does New Rules have a "deload" week built into the program (I can't remember). If it does, take the deload. The program I'm on has a deload week where you do 2 sets of my warm-up vs. 1 set and no heavy sets for the week. I look forward to deload weeks, b/c it's a chance to really nail your form.

I still do cardio; it will help with fat loss. Losing fat through lifting only is slower. Do you weigh your food? This made a HUGE difference for me; estimating calories isn't super effective.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Schuler in "rules" books builds in time off and explains logic- check it out
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with NROLFW but definitely see if they have a deload week built in. Usually lower volume and intensity for most deloads.
    The program I follow has one deload every 4 weeks but often I skip them for a couple of cycles because I don't feel I need them. Case in point, just came off a deload this past week but it had been 2 months since my last deload.
    You usually get to the point when you know you need a deload or can just go into the next cycle.
  • sehar_ali
    sehar_ali Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sehar here needs motivation add me
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think next break I'll try the deload. The book just recommends a strict break (what I remember. I read the book last year but just started the program again).
    I'll definitely start the weighing, I do have a scale and never thought it would make that much of a difference. It will be interesting to see how far I am off. I was hoping at only 1500, I had a bit of wiggle room to get up to the 1800 but maybe not.
    Thanks all again. Maybe I'll read the book again. Most forums had a split between full breaks and deload but weren't as often as the book was recommending.