Trouble with alcohol

Options
Hi all,

Like most people, a lot of celebrations that I attend involve alcohol. Whether it's weddings, birthdays, bachelor parties, or other celebrations, odds are there will be booze. I try to save myself a few hundred calories when I know I'll be attending something like this. The problem is after a couple drinks, my inhibitions are lowered and I always end up drinking way more than I plan for. Sometimes this leads to greasy food later in the night. My question is, what are some ways to control yourself after having a few drinks. Ive realized that completely stopping is not realistic long-term. Appreciate any tips.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've found with food and drinks that planning out what I think I'll have and pre-logging as best I can helps me stick to the plan. Something about seeing the numbers ahead of time, and having it already in my diary helps.

Of course as you said, after a couple of drinks, inhibitions are lowered and sometimes the plan goes right out the window - fortunately for me I'm both a lightweight and a tightwad, so unless it's an open bar or someone else is buying the drinks, I do pretty well sticking to my plan. :tongue:
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    For every one drink, have a club soda with lime or a La Croix or something with fizz in it. Works like a charm for me. Well, usually it does. I definitely have to plan that I'm going to drink NA beverages.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    In for tips. My decision making is definitely impaired with alcohol. >2 glasses of wine pretty much guarantees I'm eating something that wasn't in my plan. It's usually not a big thing, but there's always something. Stopping after 1or 2 has better results. That sounds so boring.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Offer to be the driver. I will still have 1 or even 2 if its a longer event but because I have offered to drive home I wont have any more.

Soda water with fresh lime is a good alternative for me as its look similar to the vodka, lime and soda I would normally drink.
  • pchca
    pchca Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Like someone else mentioned, for every alcoholic drink I have, I chug a huge glass of cold water after it. Helps fill me up faster and make better decisions.
  • MaryMoCla
    MaryMoCla Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain! I love a big, full bodied red wine. And I love Venetian Spritz's in the summer! I agree with all of the above - offer to drive, mix a glass of white wine with some club soda and make a spritz, or I do the club soda with lime/slice of orange. You can ask for the server to bring it in a wine glass - sometimes just holding onto a nice glass of bubbly at these occasions can let you "Fake it until you make it!".
  • heatherbarbosa9
    heatherbarbosa9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about leave your credit card at home... Only take enough cash to buy 1 drink. With the assumption that whoever you're with might buy a round.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Put elastic bands around your wrists with the amount you are going to drink. Move them to the other wrist as you demolish the drink. 3 bands; 3 drink. I do left to right. Then I know how many drinks are left.

Gin and 0 tonic alternated with 0tonic is excellent- after the first one the taste difference is not as noticeable as say water and wine.

Your favourite beer for your first beer, the lightest you can get thereafter.

Cheers, h.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Exercise more to bank up some free calories you can drink, if needed eat a little less too. This is what I did around the holidays. Drink more water. Go ahead and enjoy yourself. Have the greasy meal, just remember you have to work it off the very next day (mentally this keeps me from drinking more as I realize its not fun to exercise while not feeling very well)