motivation

Options
Hey guys! So i am pretty positive, but I'm not perfect so of course I would like support from friends and whatnot, but for some reason they just aren't supportive..I'm trying to basically just take it with a grain of salt, because after all it is my life, but at the same time I am realizing that maybe they aren't true or good friends, because I know if they were in my shoes, I would be supporting them 1000000 percent! What should i do?! Advice please :) thanks, and I hope everyone is having a great Friday night!

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    We all support others differently. Are you looking for a cheer leader? a friend you tells you when you are off track? Someone who will share the ups and downs of the journey?

When you know what kind of support you want - ask for that from your friends.

You can do this!
  • MissEllie0426
    Options
    This is a tough one...are these "friends what you would call "close" or just the "sometimes" kinda friends? I have found with some of my friends and even family they didn't seem supportive in my journey...and I would take it personal...but I thought maybe it is because they aren't sure how to support me or with a few it might be they need to be making some of the same changes and aren't ready yet. I decided to find support here @ MFP and that has gotten me through some tough days. Best of luck!
  • Glamour60Xtreme
    Options
    This is a tough one...are these "friends what you would call "close" or just the "sometimes" kinda friends? I have found with some of my friends and even family they didn't seem supportive in my journey...and I would take it personal...but I thought maybe it is because they aren't sure how to support me or with a few it might be they need to be making some of the same changes and aren't ready yet. I decided to find support here @ MFP and that has gotten me through some tough days. Best of luck!

Well they are some of my best friends, and even on top of not being supportive-- they also tell me i can't do it...because im not fit enough...and i'm like well DUH, that's the friggin point!
  • MissEllie0426
    Options
    [/quote]

"Well they are some of my best friends, and even on top of not being supportive-- they also tell me i can't do it...because im not fit enough...and i'm like well DUH, that's the friggin point!"
    [/quote]

That is really sad...you prove them wrong...you can do this even without their support!
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    Hello and welcome.....
    this is an awesome site for motivation and support.
    Feel free to add me.
    I would be glad to cheer you on!
  • atom11220
    atom11220 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can feel you when it comes to dealing with your "friends." Sometimes friends are not true. On the other hand, you have to remember many of your friends and even family will not be able to cheer you on or give you advice, because they cannot. When I lost the weight, it was largely on my own. It was not because my friends and family were not there, but it was because they did not have the experience to push me. I come from a family composed of members who are very large. They, themselves, fight with weight issues. I always wished they had joined me on my journey in regaining my health, but, alas, they did not. Maybe you can do better. I am happy to say, I have convinced TWO of my cousins to take care of their health and they have lost more than 100 pounds! I still push others to join me today. It is very hard to find a motivation. There will be slumps, but you have to dig deep and motivate yourself. Nevertheless, you will find support. We are here to support you! You will also find a few in your life who genuinely see your passion for health. Ultimately, my message is that your motivation has to be your own! I hope this helps. Here are a few things to think about:

You are young!
    You have a whole life to explore!
    You will be able to find clothes to wear! (ON SALE!)
    You can be the change in someone else's life!
    You can prevent the onset of diabetes, alzheimer's, cardiovascular disease, arthritis, and even cancer!
    Food can become your friend, eating healthy can regulate your digestive system well! (I am sensitive to junk food).
    You can participate in many intense sports (white water rafting, swimming, bungie jumping, etc)
    Your perception of self will improve.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So i am pretty positive, but I'm not perfect so of course I would like support from friends and whatnot, but for some reason they just aren't supportive..I'm trying to basically just take it with a grain of salt, because after all it is my life, but at the same time I am realizing that maybe they aren't true or good friends, because I know if they were in my shoes, I would be supporting them 1000000 percent! What should i do?! Advice please :) thanks, and I hope everyone is having a great Friday night!

That really sucks that your friends won't support you, it's easier to do if you can get support. It sounds like you're just gonna' have to do it on your own. You can help yourself but creating and following a diet log, this will help you stay focused on what you're eating. Weigh yourself once to twice a week so you can see progress but don't do it too much because your weigt can vary from day-to-day and you don't want to demotivate yourself. Find some aspect of this to keep yourself motivated and keep going. I've read from some people that they take a picture of their self in shorts only (or a brau for women) and put it in their bathroom or something so they have to see it every day and visually remind their self of what they're trying to accomplish. Good luck, stay focused!
  • nhgirl30
    nhgirl30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to surround yourself with people who support your choices. If your friends don't at least support your decisions they are not really your friends. Good friends support you no matter their personal beliefs. This website is great for lending support and motivation. Feel free to friend me.