8 lbs in one month

Options
Hi so I need to lose 8 lbs in one month. Any tips? I only work out for 15 or 20 mins on the elliptical and I do some Pilates. Please help me out

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Why the time limit? Just asking because while 2 lbs/week is do-able, it's also very hard to sustain as far as a calorie deficit is concerned. What happens after the month? It takes a while to learn new eating habits and to make lifestyle changes; do you want this weight off temporarily or is weight loss a journey you'd like to begin? These are things you'll have to ask yourself. Also, for people to help you, please provide your stats, such as age, height, current weight, and calorie goal. Most people here are focused on long term weight loss and not so much short-term goals.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    That depends on how much you have to lose. If you only have 8lbs to lose, 2-4 lbs would be more realistic for one month.

Losing weight comes down to a calorie deficit.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    It is doable but it depends on your starting weight and other factors. Also if you are female your TOM issues will play a role in water retention and will make a difference in your success.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? As others have said, it's doable if you have a lot of weight to lose, but if it's less than 40 pounds, you probably won't be able to get there.
  • suzannebreden
    suzannebreden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting for 2 weeks. Lost 2lb per week but had a bad binge weekend and put it back on with extra.
    I would go for a 5k run in the morning first thing, (approx 30-45 min) twice a week and tried to go swimming or keep fit classes 1-2 days in between. Calories 1200-1300. Hope this helps.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Most people could lose 8 pounds in a WEEK if they really wanted to. But, it involves being completely miserable, putting your health at potentially significant risk, and putting it all back on (plus maybe more) the second that week is over and you start eating normally again.

So, as everyone has said, it depends on where you're starting from and if you actually want the loss to be sustainable.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Most people could lose 8 pounds in a WEEK if they really wanted to.

Well, only if they burned 4000 calories a day and ate nothing for the week, or had a lot of water weight to drop.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Could you? Possibly. I lost 10 per month for 4 months, but I started 50 lbs above the upper limit of healthy BMI range. I also didn't create the deficit with reduced calories. I set the goal at 1.5 lbs per week and the rest of the deficit came from calorie burn at the gym.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was able to loose 10 pounds my first month of dieting and p90x3. Now I loose 1 maybe 2 pounds a week
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

Done this. Twice. Comes in two varieties: The Gastric Flu Diet and The Food Poisoning Diet.

No bueno.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When I was over 200 lbs. I consistently lost 8 lbs a month, now it's a little harder. To lose at that rate you need to create a deficit of 1000 calories a day. Unless you are obese it is not healthy for you to create that much of a deficit.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I lost ten in the first month of my weight loss, but I was squarely in the obese category. If you are not then it is likely not doable in a safe or healthy manner. If I tried to lose that now I'd be at like 800 cal/day which is horrifying. Also, why the deadline? What could you have coming up that is so contingent on 8 lbs of scale weight that you call it "need"?
  • MaryMoCla
    MaryMoCla Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents: Don't rely on the extra exercise to take the weight off - too easy to feel like you have earned the right to eat more and we all typically overestimate how many calories we burn. I read something once, "Weight is lost in the kitchen, health is gained at the gym". Being hung up on the number may just lead to frustration and negative self talk. Eat better, move a little more, do what you can in each moment to make the healthiest choice you can make.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Well, only if they burned 4000 calories a day and ate nothing for the week, or had a lot of water weight to drop.

Don't underestimate the power of water weight. Or colonoscopy prep. I didn't say they'd lose 8lbs of fat.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The first month I started I lost 41 pounds (a lot of water weight). I was also 340 pounds with a BMI of 40. Now I am 185 trying to lose some holiday weight. I can do up to 1.5 per week without feeling overly hungry. I probably should even do less.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Done this. Twice. Comes in two varieties: The Gastric Flu Diet and The Food Poisoning Diet.

No bueno.

when I had serious food poisoning last year I didn't even get weight loss out of the deal! :(
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    how much weight do you have to loose? because if you are close to your target this maybe very difficult, but doable depending on your motivation :)