I'm craving MEAT!!!

Options
I'm craving red meat like steak
My friend told me its my body telling me I need iron. Is that true?

Replies

• amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it is based on a specific dietary need, but if you are craving steak, I would put it into your meal plan. It is a good source of protein as well as iron. I love steak.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have a science based answer for you, but I also crave red meat a few times a year, and my iron levels frequently test low. I feel better after consuming the red meat, but my husband tells me if it really were iron levels I would not feel better that quickly. I haven't bothered to research it because even if it's just some kind of placebo effect, it works.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    People with low iron usually crave ice...never heard of craving red meat...if you're feeling tired, or looking more pale, or feeling out of breath, then I'd see a doctor...otherwise, enjoy your steak

ps. I googled "craving red meat" just for kicks and pretty much the whole first page mentions low iron...not from any sites I'd consider reputable though....just food for thought
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I crave ice when anaemic
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just like steak. When I crave it, I have a steak. Nom nom nom.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I crave donuts...Must be low blood sugar so I will eat a dozen for my health! ;) Seriously, I haven't seen a lot of evidence that our cravings are actually nutritionally educated so to speak. But even if yours are a sign of something other than you just liking steak, why assume it is iron? Could also be protein or fat you are craving, especially if you are reducing those to lose weight.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this...

I never heard of people craving meat because of iron deficiency, but if you want to have steak why don't you just eat it?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I've craved certain things be for, meat being one of them. I don't know if it's proven, but I've always been told it can be a deficiency in a certain nutrient!
  • KendraMonster
    KendraMonster Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    maybe your body is asking for more protein?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Eat steak!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

My body craved a 12.8 oz. New York Strip steak last night. Who was I to say no?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Probably not. On the other hand, steak tastes good -- eat some! I ate lots of steak when losing weight.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Like has been said before, your body doesn't 'crave' a certain nutrient.

Whenever I'm hungry, I always reach for my favorite salad.
    Of course I then feed that salad to a cow, and send him to the butcher.

Steak - everyone's favorite properly processed salad.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    On one notable occasion, my wife found that she was craving meat.

That was the first sign that she was pregnant.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That's what she said?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    That's what she said?

I'm not going to go into any more specific details, if you know what I mean. :# That was 18 years ago. But it was a leading indicator for all 4 of our kids.

The first one was just a huge surprise because she had been a vegetarian, and when she did start eating meat again she didn't have it frequently. Then one day, "Ya know, I'm really craving a big cheeseburger."
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What's the reason for not eating steak if you want some? You should have some blood tests run to see if you're low on anything, not just iron. It won't hurt to see your results and be 100% sure :)

I always test very low on iron and I can tell because I would always feel sleepy. I didn't notice a craving change.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Then there's the texture of a very good steak, the meaty goodness of it, the zing of pepper and caramelized/charred edges...
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Then there's the texture of a very good steak, the meaty goodness of it, the zing of pepper and caramelized/charred edges...

And buttery from adding a pat of butter to the pan or top of the steak in the last minute or two of cooking. I only do that to a quality steak....splurge money and calories lol.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are going to have it, might as well do it right. I can only eat small amounts of meat at a time so I'd slice my leftovers for lunch the next day on a big tossed salad. Double the pleasure.