Weight Gain Due To Meds

Options
2»

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    MemFox wrote: »
    Ok so I'm on SSRI's too.. And my weight gain started pretty much straight after I started taking them. To date I've put on 12 kgs.
    I am tracking everything I eat, hubby bought me a polar loop to track all my steps and sleep and all, I am consistently under in my calories every week yet I cannot shift any weight. I have been using MFP on and off since I had my first son 7 years ago. It has always worked for me in the past but this time nothing is working.
    I do believe it is the meds keeping the weight on. I am not any hungrier than I have previously been, and I am aware what I put in my mouth..
    I'm ready to see a dr about it.

Do you weigh everything you eat on a food scale?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I've gained 10 since changing heart meds a month ago, so I've started tracking calories again. My doc explained the new med not only slows my metabolism, it also increases insulin resistance (and thus appetite). I'm sure it's doable, but it's frustrating because I've been gaining at 1300-1500.

I'm also sure everyone who is discounting a medically recognized side effect thinks they're being empowering :(

Why would you think that? No matter what, the formula has to be calories in < calories out. It doesn't matter if you are taking meds, have thyroid issues, are depressed, have insulin resistance - you name it. All of our weight is influenced by calories. Yes, certain conditions can change the calories out side of the equation. Certain conditions or medications can increase appetite. You have got to be as accurate and honest as possible with your tracking (read: weighing everything on a food scale and diligently measuring liquids) and play with foods that sate your appetite enough to stay within your calorie allowance. Blaming a medication and subsequently being self-righteous about it is not the answer. We all have the power to lose weight, though it seems that we don't all have the attitude it takes to succeed.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've gained 10 since changing heart meds a month ago, so I've started tracking calories again. My doc explained the new med not only slows my metabolism, it also increases insulin resistance (and thus appetite). I'm sure it's doable, but it's frustrating because I've been gaining at 1300-1500.

I'm also sure everyone who is discounting a medically recognized side effect thinks they're being empowering :(

I understand what you're saying but even if a medication, changes 1's metabolism; it still doesn't negate CICO. What it means, is that 1 must then alter their diet accordingly; by consuming less (if their metabolism decreases/appetite increases) or more (if their metabolism increases/appetite decreases). It doesn't mean that 1 can't control, their weight; it just makes it more difficult to. The same goes, for disabilities; as well & yes I am sympathetic, to the issue of having to work harder; to achieve the same result as someone when doesn't because I have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). I must alter my CI daily because I'm either bedridden, housebound or normal & each of those either decreases or increases my CO.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

Why would you think that? No matter what, the formula has to be calories in < calories out. It doesn't matter if you are taking meds, have thyroid issues, are depressed, have insulin resistance - you name it. All of our weight is influenced by calories. Yes, certain conditions can change the calories out side of the equation. Certain conditions or medications can increase appetite. You have got to be as accurate and honest as possible with your tracking (read: weighing everything on a food scale and diligently measuring liquids) and play with foods that sate your appetite enough to stay within your calorie allowance. Blaming a medication and subsequently being self-righteous about it is not the answer. We all have the power to lose weight, though it seems that we don't all have the attitude it takes to succeed.

The medication or in my case, disability is certainly to blame; for making this harder & it isn't self righteous, to be unable to cope; with that unfair reality.
  • MemFox
    MemFox Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've never had to weigh what I ate before and successfully lost 18 kgs. That said however my entries are as accurate as possible without weighing.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

The medication or in my case, disability is certainly to blame; for making this harder & it isn't self righteous, to be unable to cope; with that unfair reality.

I am well aware of the extra hardship that can come from certain conditions and medications. As a person with depression and PCOS, I know that weight loss may be slower or that some days I may not feel like fooling with it. However, when I'm weighing and logging all of my food and putting forth the effort to maintain my lifting and light cardio routine, I lose weight just fine. The math works out. I had to stop using [insert conditon/medication here] as an excuse and take a hard long look at my actual intake. Nothing good ever comes from a defeatist attitude.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Confirmed, it's the meds.

Nope

Weight gain - calorie surplus
    If someone has gained 50 lbs it is because they ate at a calorie surplus. Yes maybe the meds increased their appetite but in all, they decided to eat the extra food. The meds didn't magically make the weight appear.

You are wrong just wrong as a nurse I Know medications can cause weight gain it will say it on the package insert. Yes most often it is calories in versus energy out but not always. Medications and diseases can affect weight big time. It is not always simple the body is complex.
  • moto630
    moto630 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Many ppl are stating that your weight gain is solely due to over eating but many articles state that when you are on SSRI's there is a chemical reaction in your brain to gain weight without excessive eating. It actually changes your metabolic rate. So food tracking and exercise is a great tool to helping you gain control.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    moto630 wrote: »
    Many ppl are stating that your weight gain is solely due to over eating but many articles state that when you are on SSRI's there is a chemical reaction in your brain to gain weight without excessive eating. It actually changes your metabolic rate. So food tracking and exercise is a great tool to helping you gain control.

No, they do not.

Also, if you're going to make such claims, please cite your sources. This kind of misinformation can be harmful.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

No, they do not.

Also, if you're going to make such claims, please cite your sources. This kind of misinformation can be harmful.

I would want to see sources on this as well. There are meds that affect metabolism, but when I researched SSRIs I didn't find anyone saying they did. All the things I saw on weight gain from them was due to increased appetite.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

No, they do not.

I would want to see sources on this as well. There are meds that affect metabolism, but when I researched SSRIs I didn't find anyone saying they did. All the things I saw on weight gain from them was due to increased appetite.

Yep, that is my understanding of SSRIs as well.
  • MemFox
    MemFox Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I am well aware of the extra hardship that can come from certain conditions and medications. As a person with depression and PCOS, I know that weight loss may be slower or that some days I may not feel like fooling with it. However, when I'm weighing and logging all of my food and putting forth the effort to maintain my lifting and light cardio routine, I lose weight just fine. The math works out. I had to stop using [insert conditon/medication here] as an excuse and take a hard long look at my actual intake. Nothing good ever comes from a defeatist attitude.

Alyssa that's all well and good for you but everyone is different. These forums are meant to be supportive and your whole attitude of holier than thou is not at all helpful!
    Please stop assuming everyone is "blaming" the medication. I have never needed an excuse before and not starting now. In my case everything I have done before that has worked I am doing now and since being on my meds it isn't working anymore. The weight went on right as I started the meds.

I'm glad you've been able to fight through not only your conditions but also to lose weight but please be kinder to those of us who for one reason or another is struggling.
    Offer kind and helpful words not criticism please.
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Unforunately no :( I'm sure some have had success, but I am still working on shedding the weight after going off an SSRI I was taking late 2014-mid 2015 (and still take it off and on now). I can almost immediately tell the effect it has on my body. I crave carbs and sugary food like crazy. The craving is overwhelming. I am not someone that really struggles with "cravings" very often otherwise. I've always found it easy to lose weight when I want, but when I am taking this medication it's nearly impossible for me personally. That's compounded by my lessened motivation in the gym. I develop a very lazy attitude and feel very tired which also makes me less motivated in the gym.

I wish you all the best! This is just my own experience, I know others have different experiences. Good luck!
  • TiffanyStayStrong
    Options
    I was taking Lyrica for nerve pain for a few months and I could tell each week that I was gaining weight. Then I noticed I was eating Oreos....a lot....like a few times a day. I had never done this before. There were other sweets to but the Oreos were daily. Anyway by the 6th or 7th week I realized I had packed on 20 to 25 pounds. My leg, knees, feet, and ankles hurt so bad. I immediately called my doctor and told her that I could no longer take that medication and why. She agreed that the negative was certainly out weighing the positive and I got off of it. It took me close to 7 months to undo what I did in 7 weeks. I am still on the journey to lose more but. I know that medications can effect your weight.
  • LMHG2015
    LMHG2015 Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

• LMHG2015
    LMHG2015 Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Alyssa:

Well, thank you so much. I think we can all rest assuredly tonight knowing you are on the boards letting everyone know exactly what they should/should not do. Where exactly did you go to medical school? Saying someone is "blaming a medication" is extremely judgemental (at best). Subsequently being arrogant and condescending by saying "We all have the power to lose weight, though it seems we don't have the attitude to succeed" is not only childish but helps no one. It was my understanding these posts were to be helpful, motivating and kind. Maybe you didn't get the memo. Be well.
  • mcsnora
    mcsnora Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am on a hormone blocker as a 5 year "after" drug for breast cancer. One of the side effects is weight gain. I have lost 25 pounds in a year and a half. Now, I quit losing for a while. And the last month I have gained a couple back. It is extremely frustrating.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    @mcsnora

I am a nurse that works with breast cancer patients. You are right the medications cause weight gain. You dieting and starting an exercise program is wonderful and what I encourage my ladies to do for many health reasons. Good luck!