Taco Bell Doritos Locos 12 Pack = 0.5 LBs?!

Options
I am trying to figure out if my calculation and logic is right...

12 pack Doritos Locos is around 2,000 calories, give or take. 7700 cal/kg of fat, that's around half a pound of "weight" if you just take into consideration CICO.

I was just about to get me a dozen pack until I ran the numbers and stopped in awe. A 12 pack is 0.5 Lbs?!!

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a .5lb gain only if you eat that in excess of your maintenance intake. For example, if I have a very active day, I could easily need 2800-3000 calories. And I love tacos. I'd hit that, with no regrets. Well, maybe a little digestive distress and some major sodium bloat for a few days. But totally doable under specific circumstances.

Alternately, why not just buy 3, or 6, or whatever reasonable amount fits into your day?
  • jsuh1993
    jsuh1993 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, it's a .5lb gain only if you eat that in excess of your maintenance intake. For example, if I have a very active day, I could easily need 2800-3000 calories. And I love tacos. I'd hit that, with no regrets. Well, maybe a little digestive distress and some major sodium bloat for a few days. But totally doable under specific circumstances.

Alternately, why not just buy 3, or 6, or whatever reasonable amount fits into your day?

My question then follows.. Let's say I didn't even meet my target for the day. But wouldn't I LOSE that half pound if I didn't consume the 12 pack? As in.. Whether I decide to go over or below the target consumption, it still contributes to half a pound worth of fat (gain or loss) right?

Oh and if Im going tacos Im gonna make sure i get completely full.. Just the way I deal with things I guess. It's either completely full or not even worth eating for me.. Half full is completely as bad as not eating in the first place for me..
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Only get them if they are supreme!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    If you first eat your maintenance level of calories and THEN eat them, yes, you would gain half a pound.
    If that's all you ate that day, not so much.

But really, what kind of moderation is 12 tacos??
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    All or none is not exactly the healthiest mind set to hold. In anything, but especially when it comes to food and weight loss endeavors.

CICO, especially if you want to follow IIFYM and/or eat Taco Bell, is pretty dependent on portion size control in order to achieve longterm success.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's about a day's worth of food.

But why would you buy a dozen tacos and eat them all at once? Are you a competitive eater in training or something? Those are intended for large groups of people eating together.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    12 Tacos is only 2000 calories? Considering that's more than I'd eat in a day, I'm not at all surprised.

And 2000 calories is only an additional half pound of weight if those calories are over and above you also eating your maintenance calories. So really, you'd need at least 24, maybe more to gain that half pound.
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You're gonna be consuming a lot of sodium. I usually get one or two because I like eating in moderation. I think if you ate above your maintenance Calories and consumed all 12 tacos I won't be surprised if you gained one pound. A lot of sodium can increase your water weight and make you feel bloated. It might be temporary but it could take a few days for it to go away.

Best of luck!
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Crunchy beef Taco Fresco is 150 cal. Eat three for 450 cal. Add a side of Lava sauce for under 600 cal. Yummy.
  • jsuh1993
    jsuh1993 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply guys!

When it comes to moderation, just a psychological thing.. I rather have at least one meal that fills me up, if I am going to eat such calorie.

With that said, I decided not to go wild with the tacos last night, which I am certainly feeling good about today!!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    jsuh1993 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply guys!

When it comes to moderation, just a psychological thing.. I rather have at least one meal that fills me up, if I am going to eat such calorie.

With that said, I decided not to go wild with the tacos last night, which I am certainly feeling good about today!!

If it's a psychological thing, you can change it, mostly by purposefully practicing doing things differently.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

My question then follows.. Let's say I didn't even meet my target for the day. But wouldn't I LOSE that half pound if I didn't consume the 12 pack? As in.. Whether I decide to go over or below the target consumption, it still contributes to half a pound worth of fat (gain or loss) right?

Oh and if Im going tacos Im gonna make sure i get completely full.. Just the way I deal with things I guess. It's either completely full or not even worth eating for me.. Half full is completely as bad as not eating in the first place for me..

It all comes down to math. You have a TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) which is the sum of all the calories it takes to keep you alive, support your every day activity, and the calories you expend exercising. For round numbers, let's say that number is 2000 cals.

If you eat less than 2000 cals, you will lose weight.
    If you eat exactly 2000 cals, you will maintain.
    If you eat more than 2000 cals, you will gain.

It takes roughly 3,500 calories ABOVE your maintenance level to gain 1 lb of fat, similarly it takes roughly 3,500 calories less to lose 1 lb of fat.

So the impact of eating or not eating the tacos depends on what else you eat and how that fits into your overall day/week.

If you are the type of person who needs to feel full, then you should definitely look for nutrient dense, filling foods to meet your caloric requirements. I'm the kind of person for whom a couple of tacos would satisfy my craving, so it is easy to fit that into my day or week on a regular basis.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Crunchy beef Taco Fresco is 150 cal. Eat three for 450 cal. Add a side of Lava sauce for under 600 cal. Yummy.

Taco Bell's fresco options are the only reason I can still eat there. Otherwise it's a whole lotta calories and I'll just be hungry again later. But the fresco stuff feels like a decent amount for the calories. Been a while since I've had Taco Bell...hmmm...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out if my calculation and logic is right...

12 pack Doritos Locos is around 2,000 calories, give or take. 7700 cal/kg of fat, that's around half a pound of "weight" if you just take into consideration CICO.

I was just about to get me a dozen pack until I ran the numbers and stopped in awe. A 12 pack is 0.5 Lbs?!!

If you did get it would hate to be your plumber
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm huge and even I'm reading this post going.... 12 tacos?? Really?

I think everything has been said that needs to be
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I would never waste 2000 calories worth of Taco Bell on 12 of the same item. What about burritos, cheesy gordita crunches, quesadillas, spicy tostadas, Mexican pizzas....too many good choices available instead of 12 tacos!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I would never waste 2000 calories worth of Taco Bell on 12 of the same item. What about burritos, cheesy gordita crunches, quesadillas, spicy tostadas, Mexican pizzas....too many good choices available instead of 12 tacos!!

I didn't even think of that, but you are SO right. For 2000 cals, I'm having a jossdamn BUFFET of TB.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Because everything has already been said, all I can say is I want a Doritos taco now.