How hard is it to get back into shape after giving birth!?

Options
kmarketing87
kmarketing87 Posts: 3 Member
After having baby number two, my body is in need of some serious toning and care. Any advice on how to drop the baby weight?

Replies

• FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding helps tremendously! Eat lots of protein and iron
  • BaconBae
    BaconBae Posts: 4,568 Member
    Options
    I agree - breastfeeding/pumping helped me too. I did it for 2 years. I also made sure to walk as much as possible and do simple things, like taking stairs when possible.

I've heard the saying, 9 months to gain the weight and at minimum 9 months to lose it.
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Gradually get back into it. I noticed my core was super weak from pregnancy.

I first got into pilates and yoga and incorporated running and lifting as I dropped weight and felt stronger.

I would alter your eating by cutting carbs to 20-30% of your diet. But don't go crazy if you're still BF.

Slowly but surely your body will start adapting and bouncing back.
  • sw33tp3a15
    sw33tp3a15 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure it out. I have my workouts in check but my eating is all over the place. I exercised through out my pregnancy so bouncing back to my old body wasn't that hard. I actually weight less now then before I got pregnant. I wish I could help you out more since I'm still trying to figure it out myself. But these beautiful ladies though have wonderful tips.
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    After the first it was easy for me. Second was much harder. I wonder if the C-section made an impact with the second? I am back, but it was harder. Honestly, hitting 40 was much harder than the impact of pregnancy!
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    kimvmajor wrote: »
    After the first it was easy for me. Second was much harder. I wonder if the C-section made an impact with the second? I am back, but it was harder. Honestly, hitting 40 was much harder than the impact of pregnancy!

c-section does I think since your core is basically damaged from surgery. I found I had to figure out that before I could start with weight loss and I was lazy so I took a few years. But OP is young and I'm sure will be diligent and get it done quickly
  • Shesaleo18
    Shesaleo18 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Most chicks I know that we're preggers around the same time I was, snapped straight back into shape
  • Shesaleo18
    Shesaleo18 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I on the other hand 7 years later am still trying to lose. I bf my 1st for 2.5years and when she was about 1 I had got down to 60kgs (5kgs off my goal) but 3 months later I was back to 70kgs.
    Iv had 2 c sections and my stomach is gross. Need a tummy tuck badly!!!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It really depends. Where you started weight wise, how much you gained, any complications during labor, vaginal or csection, ect
    My first pregnancy ended at 34 weeks with a csection. I was obese at the start and then managed to gain 70 lbs during the 34 weeks. I lost it all in about 7-8 months, but ended up gaining about 30 back since I couldn't sustain the plan. After my son turned 1, I tried again and was able to lose enough to get out of the obese range. However, I became pregnant with my second. Gained 40 lbs. It was another csection. This time though, I lost the weight before my youngest was 7 months old even though I wasn't able to workout for 8 wks or so (csection had started to reopen). Now my youngest will be 2 at the end of May and I currently have a BMI of 20.8 which puts me about 8 lbs lower than the weight I graduated high school at. I'm currently stronger than I ever have been thanks to lifting weights.

Point is though, it really varies. Everybody has different circumstances and we each handle things differently.
  • kmarketing87
    kmarketing87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies!! All of your comments have truly Helped
  • CourtneyLomonaco
    CourtneyLomonaco Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding never helped me at all. I have three kids. It took me 18 months to lose the weight from my first (I was not really seriously trying). I never had a chance to completely lose it between my second and my third, they are about 15 months apart. I did P90X3 after my third and saw weights that I never even dreamed I could reach again. I would highly recommend this and jogging. Good luck to you.
    I am kind of starting my journey again after foot/ankle surgery.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Here to represent the men. It took me about three minutes. :bigsmile:

there's just too many jokes...
  • cottontailsandcupcakes
    Options
    If you're breastfeeding, don't stop. Since stopping breastfeesing it's a struggle before that it seemed alot easier to shift weight. I didn't put on any baby weight but was overweight before getting pregnant.

I'm trying to dedicate time to my exercise though. Only able with supportive family though to babysit etc.