Do squats increase the butt & thigh size?

Options
BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe Posts: 114 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have to reduce from my lower body & look firm.
5' 2" female 65Kg

Replies

• brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been doing stronglifts for 3 months (so squatting 3xweek currently at 87.5 kg for squat) in addition to running and I am male so should have good chances of growing, but most of the time i have been eating at slight deficit or at maintenance. So far I can see a visual difference as my legs look more muscular, but no size difference to note. Still fit my slim fit jeans :)
    I doubt you have to worry about it unless you eat over maintenance.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    5' 2" female 65Kg

That's an open question

Losing fat and following a progressive resistance programme, which incorporated shed-loads of squats, lunges and compound lifts going heavy and heavier resulted in me losing inches on butt, thighs, calves and getting that thigh gap (cos genetically wider hips not cos I wanted want)

Now I'm in maintenance and thinking I'd like a slightly larger butt .. so hip thrusts, squats, lunges and compound lifts going heavy and heavier with the aim of a slow recomp

But if you are looking to reduce - then calorie defecit
    if you are looking to reduce and look firm - then calorie defecit and lift heavy
    but you can't spot reduce
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Resistance work has made my thighs stronger and improved the shape of my bum.

Lower calorie intake caused me to lose fat which made my legs look firmer, my measurements smaller, and improved the look of cellulite.

If you combine the two you will get smaller, firmer legs. Increasing the size of your thighs and bum through squatting/lifting weights would require going heavier and heavier with the weight, eating more calories, and a lot of time, so it won't happen to you if you don't really try for it.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a deficit & do compound lifts like squats you will lose fat there (and everywhere because you can't spot reduce) and your hips, butt and thighs get smaller. That's what happened for me. If you don't have much muscle and want to build a butt squats can do that, too. You are working the glutes. It all comes down to how much fat is covering them and your eating plan.
  • BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
    Options
    Thanks for replying, everyone! :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing the same pants, but the pants fit differently than before. I've lost fat, built muscle, and have a better shape.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm eating at maintenance and lifting heavy. My butt has definitely gotten bigger (YAY!) If you are eating at a deficit, no.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    5' 2" female 65Kg

Hey, we have the same stats! :smile:

Like others have said, I do squats but eat at a deficit and have lost inches from bum and thighs. Thighs are starting to get firm but there's still a lot of fat to shed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Will increase if your intention is to gain muscle and size and the training regimen is directed toward that. But that doesn't sound like your intention.
    On calorie deficit, it's not likely to happen and even if your training was correct, you'd more than likely just "harden" up what you already have.
    Squats aren't a miracle exercise. People's predetermined shapes (flat butt, square butt, round butt, etc) will be the deciding factor basically every time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png